Confirmed with Link: Flyers Trade Jakub Voracek To Columbus For Cam Atkinson

Cootsfanclub

For Oskar!
Mar 29, 2013
Fast guys who can shoot, why would they pass on a SH breakaway?

Probably b/c if you have two strides on your teammate, trying to pass is how you blow a SH opportunity since it gives defenders time to get back (if you wait for your teammate to catch up).
That will get beat into Atkinson in no time here.

Reactions: Beef Invictus

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Jake was a fine player, but a bad fit for this team. He's become pass first to the point of hurting his effectiveness, especially on the PP.
Atkinson isn't as talented, but he looks like he's been granted a reprieve from Torts, and I think his shot first attitude may rub off on TK, who has a similar style of play.

There's a balance between being efficiently selfish (I'm one of the best shooters so I should shoot) and stat pad selfish (I shoot even when there's the obvious pass to be made).

Atkinson, Farabee and Hayes on the PK will keep other teams nervous.

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
On this current team Atkinson is a much better fit. We needed a player like him. He's a breath of fresh air.

Voracek is still a good player, but at the end he didn't seem to have good chemistry with any of our centers and it was hard to find the right spot in the lineup for him.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
People aren't even attempting to hide their irrational anti-Voracek bias. :laugh:

There's nothing irrational, the only center he fit with well was Couts, unfortunately, Couts also brings out the best in TK.
So you keep the 24 year old rising star, and trade the 32 year old expensive RW, especially with players like Allison, Foerster and Brink in the pipeline.
Meanwhile, Atkinson and Farabee could probably play with any center in the organization and raise their game.

Chemistry matters as much as talent.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Every time Atkinson scores I think, thank God Voracek is finally gone.

Voracek is arguably one of the best 10 forwards the Flyers have ever had... now, yeh, only an argument and towards the bottom of those 10 fwds.

But an unreal passer who was one of best players in NHL in transition for years, and a top 10 RW in entire NHL for a good period of time. And really cared, by all accounts was a great locker room guy who took kids under wing.

Some people might not like his "style"... and Atkinson is a very good player too... but hard to deny how good Jake was for Flyers as an individual.

Shrike

Dec 5, 2019
Voracek was basically the Flyers version of Ben Simmons, except that Simmons doesn’t shoot out of fear of the fans and Voracek didn’t shoot to spite the fans.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Gotta love the talk in this thread about 13th forwards who sit in the press box.

Even if you ignore Frost, the Flyers are already on to forward #17 on the depth chart after losing Hayes, Allison, Laczynski and not being able to play Brown.

Reactions: Tripod

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Voracek is arguably one of the best 10 forwards the Flyers have ever had... now, yeh, only an argument and towards the bottom of those 10 fwds.

But an unreal passer who was one of best players in NHL in transition for years, and a top 10 RW in entire NHL for a good period of time. And really cared, by all accounts was a great locker room guy who took kids under wing.

Some people might not like his "style"... and Atkinson is a very good player too... but hard to deny how good Jake was for Flyers as an individual.

I think i'd have him at #12 at the moment.

1. Clarke
  2. Lindros
  3. Giroux
  4. LeClair
  5. Barber
  6. MacLeish
  7. Propp
  8. Couturier
  9. Kerr
  10. Recchi
  11. Leach
  12. Voracek

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania

Not to mention he was our leading scorer last year and had one of the best offensive seasons of his career, so it's not even as if the guy lost his effectiveness. People are just obsessed with snipers and the myth that Voracek "refuses to shoot", while also severely underestimating the importance of passing. Not to mention the typical scapegoating of the teams top players when things don't go well, regardless of their play.

I like Atkinson and have zero problem with him as an individual player, but getting rid of Voracek was a bad decision. Luckily for the anti-Voracek "fans", Atkinson is currently shooting 23.08%, so they can pretend this was a huge win for Fletcher... but that'll go back down eventually. I wish it could stay that high all year and I wish this was the amazing trade people are pretending it is, but rationally I know that's not realistic.

tictactoe

Jan 15, 2017
So far so good. Who does not like goals? Plus he is a threat on PK and he made a few nice plays on D stealing the puck when Risto turned it over in 3rd period I think. Basically saved Ristos behind on that play.

Size is an issue but he goes into tough area it seems.

Shrike

Dec 5, 2019
I think i'd have him at #12 at the moment.

1. Clarke
  2. Lindros
  3. Giroux
  4. LeClair
  5. Barber
  6. MacLeish
  7. Propp
  8. Couturier
  9. Kerr
  10. Recchi
  11. Leach
  12. Voracek
Pelle Eklund
Ron Sutter
Rich Sutter
Rick Tocchet
Ilks Sinsalo
Paul Holmgren
Danny Briere
Simon Gagne
Murray Craven
Bob Dornhoeffer
Easy arguments for most of these guys. And how about the fact that both Mike Richards and Jeff Carter took us deeper in the playoffs than Jake Voracek even sniffed.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Voracek was basically the Flyers version of Ben Simmons, except that Simmons doesn’t shoot out of fear of the fans and Voracek didn’t shoot to spite the fans.

Shot attempts per 60 minutes over the previous two seasons.

Player 1 - 13.58
Player 2 - 12.91
Player 3 - 12.30
Player 4 - 11.47
Player 5 - 9.98

I'll list the options in alphabetical order: Farabee, Konecny, Laughton, Lindblom, Voracek

Which one of those 5 do you think is Voracek?

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Pelle Eklund
Ron Sutter
Rich Sutter
Rick Tocchet
Ilks Sinsalo
Paul Holmgren
Danny Briere
Simon Gagne
Murray Craven
Bob Dornhoeffer
Easy arguments for most of these guys. And how about the fact that both Mike Richards and Jeff Carter took us deeper in the playoffs than Jake Voracek even sniffed.

Tocchet is probably the only one with an argument for being better than Voracek at his best, peak and prime, as a Flyer. Almost none of the others have an objective argument. And he did not have the peak Jake did.

Gagne was great... but he had 1-2 seasons where he was a top ~20 fwd in the league as a Flyer.
Briere was great... but he had one season where he was a top ~20 fwd in the league too.

Jake had 2 seasons where he was a top 10 fwd in the league.

Holmgren? Sinisalo? The Sutters? Dornhoeffer? Craven? All great Flyers but Jake's worst season as a Flyers was arguably better than all these guys BEST seasons as a Flyers (apart from Dornhoeffer who had one season where in that 1st line tier) best when look at era.

Most of these guys never came top 50 in league scoring for the Flyers when Jake was top 15 over a DECADE. Some of them were middle sixers, let alone top liners. But just happened to play in very high scoring eras.

sauce88

Jul 6, 2011
Shot attempts per 60 minutes over the previous two seasons.

Player 1 - 13.58
Player 2 - 12.91
Player 3 - 12.30
Player 4 - 11.47
Player 5 - 9.98

I'll list the options in alphabetical order: Farabee, Konecny, Laughton, Lindblom, Voracek

Which one of those 5 do you think is Voracek?
I think people are confusing willingness to shoot with lack of quality shot (or they just don't know any better). Voracek did shoot frequently, and had some great goals. But in my opinion his shot wasn't exactly a weapon.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Tocchet is probably the only one with an argument for being better than Voracek at his best, peak and prime, as a Flyer. Almost none of the others have an objective argument. And he did not have the peak Jake did.

Gagne was great... but he had 1-2 seasons where he was a top ~20 fwd in the league as a Flyer.
Briere was great... but he had one season where he was a top ~20 fwd in the league too.

Jake had 2 seasons where he was a top 10 fwd in the league.

Holmgren? Sinisalo? The Sutters? Dornhoeffer? Craven? All great Flyers but Jake's worst season as a Flyers was arguably better than all these guys BEST seasons as a Flyers (apart from Dornhoeffer who had one season where in that 1st line tier) best when look at era.

Most of these guys never came top 50 in league scoring for the Flyers when Jake was top 15 over a DECADE. Some of them were middle sixers, let alone top liners. But just happened to play in very high scoring eras.
I cannot understate how galling it is that they wasted G, V, Simmonds, couldn't figure out Schenn, and didn't capitalize on Couturier. It was a really strong core and it was squandered. Squandered harder than the 90s group, because at least Clarke tried to do things even if the things were flawed.

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
People aren't even attempting to hide their irrational anti-Voracek bias. :laugh:

The guy was frustrating to me. I appreciate the talent and he came through many times, but it wasn’t a good fit on this team and his mistakes drove me crazy. Not his fault, but his salary made it impossible for me to be tolerant.

I was a fan of this trade from the start and even more now. Atkinson is playing with a chip on his shoulder and is going to have a big year. Love the way he plays, controls time and space, and his attitude.

Reactions: LorneMalvo

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I think people are confusing willingness to shoot with lack of quality shot (or they just don't know any better). Voracek did shoot frequently, and had some great goals. But in my opinion his shot wasn't exactly a weapon.
I’d agree with this.

He’s a decent shooter - not amazing and definitely not his marquee skill - but people are constantly talking about him as if he wouldn’t even try to shoot, which simply isn’t reality.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
The guy was frustrating to me. I appreciate the talent and he came through many times, but it wasn’t a good fit on this team and his mistakes drove me crazy. Not his fault, but his salary made it impossible for me to be tolerant.

I was a fan of this trade from the start and even more now. Atkinson is playing with a chip on his shoulder and is going to have a big year. Love the way he plays, controls time and space, and his attitude.
I have absolutely no clue what “he wasn’t a good fit on this team” means. I keep seeing it and it just doesn’t make any sense at all.

What team can’t fit a 60-80 point player who is big, strong, can skate, drives play, creates offense, and can carry a line?

Reactions: GapToothedWonder

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
I'm legitimately curious here because i dont visit the sub-forums for other teams: Do other teams fanbases drag players they trade away to make themselves feel better about the trade, or is that exclusive to Flyers forums?

Jake was easily a top 10 forward in Flyers history, and its honestly not really close. Was he perfect? Absolutely not, but the guy was an absolute machine for an entire decade while he was here. I dont understand the need for revisionist history because he didnt bring us a cup. This fanbase was all aboard the shipping out Carter and Richards of the worlds and were happy to claim they were glad to be rid of "High and Wide" Carter and now hes being penciled into top 10 lists? I dont get it.

You can recognize that a player was great even though they are no longer on your team. It isnt some weird rule of fanhood that you arent allowed to appreciate what a player did just because they are no longer on your team and didnt achieve the penultimate version of 'success' while here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad