Confirmed with Link: Flyers Trade Jakub Voracek To Columbus For Cam Atkinson

Juicy Pop

BONK
Apr 26, 2014
Scranton, PA
Arizona is a tire fire. They traded two of their better players and their goalie to play when Kuemper is hurt again.

I don't want to push this much further until the season starts, but that just seems to highlight the issue.

I hope Ghost does really well, but if he doesn't it seems like Fletcher won't get any credit for taking the best bad-deal that he could find to close the issue.

wuf

Sponsor
Aug 16, 2012
Philadelphia, PA
So what does everyone think of the Voracek for Atkinson trade?

I like it personally. Just what we need.
I like the trade. I think it will work out for both teams, but Atkinson seems like a good fit somewhere on this team. He reminds me of like a Briere-light. BTW I'm well aware he's 32 and he will lose a step here and there, but he looks like he has good hands and patience with the puck and isn't afraid to shoot it.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Arizona is a tire fire. They traded two of their better players and their goalie to play when Kuemper is hurt again.

I’m not sure tire fire is the right description. Arizona knows exactly what they’re doing. They took on a boatload of crap that expires in 1 season; getting rid of Garland is something I don’t like (and based on negotiations it’s possible they didn’t value him correctly), but they received the 9th overall, which was used on a solid prospect in Guenther. They’re about to tank, so it’s possible they don’t think Garland fits their timeline. I would’ve been more flexible to keep him but….

As for OEL, he is not one of their better players. You could argue he’s been their worst core player over a 3 year period. Last year he was unspeakably awful — his skating and passing regression is a major concern. Chychrun has lapped him ten times over. His contract is an absolute anchor for 6 more seasons. (More info, including video: Breaking Down the Oliver Ekman-Larsson Trade Using Analytics). Getting out of that for 1 year cap dumps could be a godsend.

Arizona is doing the proper rebuild that Chayka totally f***ed up with his myopic decisions and spending of assets. I feel badly for Ghost in that it could be a terrible situation to showcase his value and rehabilitate his image.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
If Ghost is a legitimate top 4 D-man, Arizona is a great situation, he'll carry a younger D-man, QB PP1, get 20+ minutes a night and all the offensive opportunities. He'll get to pad his scoring stats and up his perceived value.

If however, Ghost needs to be sheltered b/c he's lost speed, can be forechecked off the puck and can't play a Niskanen role (mentor a younger partner), he'll quickly be exposed.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Ok let me try this. Sanheim, Ghost, Provy. Keep 2 let one go. Who you keeping lol? Anyone else wants to join in, please feel free.

And no, I haven’t seen anyone else outright say Ghost was our best d man. Could be wrong, I’m wrong often. But I think Ghost is more so your “thing”. Which is fine. We all have our favs and what not. But I am sticking with that’s a hot take, that very little people would agree with.

Regardless of what happened last season, 99.999 % of Flyers fans are keeping Provorov & Sanheim over Ghost. Its not even a debate other than with exactly one Flyers fan. You just gotta let him have his thing lol

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I’m not sure tire fire is the right description. Arizona knows exactly what they’re doing. They took on a boatload of crap that expires in 1 season; getting rid of Garland is something I don’t like (and based on negotiations it’s possible they didn’t value him correctly), but they received the 9th overall, which was used on a solid prospect in Guenther. They’re about to tank, so it’s possible they don’t think Garland fits their timeline. I would’ve been more flexible to keep him but….

As for OEL, he is not one of their better players. You could argue he’s been their worst core player over a 3 year period. Last year he was unspeakably awful — his skating and passing regression is a major concern. Chychrun has lapped him ten times over. His contract is an absolute anchor for 6 more seasons. (More info, including video: Breaking Down the Oliver Ekman-Larsson Trade Using Analytics). Getting out of that for 1 year cap dumps could be a godsend.

Arizona is doing the proper rebuild that Chayka totally f***ed up with his myopic decisions and spending of assets. I feel badly for Ghost in that it could be a terrible situation to showcase his value and rehabilitate his image.

I'm hoping Ghost is flipped at this deadline or next to a playoff team. I say this now but watch him end up on a team in our division and scorch us.

Last edited:

Swic21

Jan 8, 2012
Canada
Regardless of what happened last season, 99.999 % of Flyers fans are keeping Provorov & Sanheim over Ghost. Its not even a debate other than with exactly one Flyers fan. You just gotta let him have his thing lol
Ya I was thinking the same thing man haha.

Reactions: Rebels57

Canfly

Nov 25, 2016
Here's hoping Ghost is flipped at the trade deadline to a playoff contender as well.
If Provy was used for PK and his 5 on 5 minutes not on the PP at all he would have been more effective.
This is where Ghost should have been used and his regular 5 on 5 minutes. Both would have been used properly and maybe Provy would have had a better year.
This season he needs to be removed from the PP because more often than not he fumbles the puck at the blueline.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Definitely when I think of Arizona, it’s the opportunity to pad scoring stats. Especially after trading their best forward. The logic!

He'll be their best offensive defenseman, so he'll get the O-zone starts, PP minutes, play with their best forwards, etc.
And on bad teams, there's a lot of garbage time opportunities and opponents who play without intensity.

flyerslducks

Feb 15, 2017
Not just flyer fans, it would be every single nhl fan that would select those two except for a very few.

take away the fact that people don’t like him because he can’t "carry" a top pair or isn’t that great on the pp and you still have a great defense who can help the team out. Idk why he gets hate for this lol. I’m not some prov homer too, all of the defense last year was absolutely garbage (including sanheim and provorov)

Reactions: Rebels57

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
It's a pretty binary choice here:

30 GMs were completely idiotic and should have lept at a free top-4D [with spare assets to boot in a trade]

or

Our fans were biased towards a former player and couldn't make a good evaluation of his play in a shortened season

I'll go with the easier explanation.

The easier explanation is that the GMs missed, since we've seen it before.

flyerslducks

Feb 15, 2017
With all the players Chuck shipped out this offseason it is going to be difficult to guess which one wins a cup first
Lol maybe hats by he traded them to shit teams. Usually they get traded and win cups. I hope they can go to better teams so we can root for them if we don’t go far

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Not just flyer fans, it would be every single nhl fan that would select those two except for a very few.

take away the fact that people don’t like him because he can’t "carry" a top pair or isn’t that great on the pp and you still have a great defense who can help the team out. Idk why he gets hate for this lol. I’m not some prov homer too, all of the defense last year was absolutely garbage (including sanheim and provorov)
Which is exactly why you have GMs willing to pay a 1st and 2nd for Ristolainen and fans who love that trade.

Reputations are more important than actual play. It’s sad, but clearly true.

Swic21

Jan 8, 2012
Canada
Which is exactly why you have GMs willing to pay a 1st and 2nd for Ristolainen and fans who love that trade.

Reputations are more important than actual play. It’s sad, but clearly true.
Also, you still haven’t answered. Ghost, Sanheim, Provy. 2 stay 1 goes. And Ghost can’t multiply.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad