Confirmed with Link: Flyers Trade Jakub Voracek To Columbus For Cam Atkinson

Lindberg

Bennyflyers16 get a life
Oct 5, 2013
No, it's a matter of knowing you have a lot of young forwards who are a year away or so, and not wanting to sign the guys asking for 2-3 year deals.
Most of the guys who accept one year minimum wage deals aren't very good, or they'd have more leverage.
Fletcher could have kept Pitlick, etc.

Just flat out wrong.

It wasn't like there was choice A ) Chris Stewart and choice B) No one.

I mean according to you it's impossible for them to sign someone like PEB or etc then.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Just flat out wrong.

It wasn't like there was choice A ) Chris Stewart and choice B) No one.

I mean according to you it's impossible for them to sign someone like PEB or etc then.

For 13th forward to sit in the press box? Who signs a one year deal at the veteran minimum for that role? Not PEB.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Ok let me try this. Sanheim, Ghost, Provy. Keep 2 let one go. Who you keeping lol? Anyone else wants to join in, please feel free.

And no, I haven’t seen anyone else outright say Ghost was our best d man. Could be wrong, I’m wrong often. But I think Ghost is more so your “thing”. Which is fine. We all have our favs and what not. But I am sticking with that’s a hot take, that very little people would agree with.
I can't control what you have and haven't seen, my dude. It doesn't change their existence. And again, the stats back this up.

I'd keep all three of them but if I'm forced to trade one I trade Provorov. His trade-value-to-on-ice-play ratio is the most screwed up and he gets paid the most, while having never been the best of the three. You could get a massive return for him, like what we just saw with Seth Jones. You're not getting that return for the other two, in spite of the on-ice results.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lindberg

Bennyflyers16 get a life
Oct 5, 2013
For 13th forward to sit in the press box? Who signs a one year deal at the veteran minimum for that role? Not PEB.

Semantics. I'm sure you can find someone who is better than Chris Stewart and is a legit NHL tweener to sit in the box. Sure as shit isn't Biceps Chris Stewart.

Remarkablr

Feb 19, 2019
Ok let me try this. Sanheim, Ghost, Provy. Keep 2 let one go. Who you keeping lol? Anyone else wants to join in, please feel free.

And no, I haven’t seen anyone else outright say Ghost was our best d man. Could be wrong, I’m wrong often. But I think Ghost is more so your “thing”. Which is fine. We all have our favs and what not. But I am sticking with that’s a hot take, that very little people would agree with.

IF you watched the games last year, Ghost was easily the best defenseman on the team, followed by Sandheim.
The rest were terrible including Provorov. Myers, Hagg, etc were really bad.

Remarkablr

Feb 19, 2019
It's concerning that we still have to.mentor provorov.

It's also concerning that he's been the passenger in every "good" pairing he's played in:

Provy/Ghost
Provy/Sanheim(on his offside, too)
Provy/Niskanen.

There's a pattern there. Wed be wise to recognize it.

Provorov is over-rated.

A few highlight reel goals.

But so many bad plays, turnovers, etc

Last edited:
Reactions: Starat327

Swic21

Jan 8, 2012
Canada
IF you watched the games last year, Ghost was easily the best defenseman on the team, followed by Sandheim.
I watched every single game, and for the record, I haven’t said WHO I think was the best. But I just find it so hard to believe that this whole fan base would say Ghost was the best last year. I would be shocked to hear that. Like I said, maybe I’m wrong, which wouldn’t be crazy. Just shocked is all.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I watched every single game, and for the record, I haven’t said WHO I think was the best. But I just find it so hard to believe that this whole fan base would say Ghost was the best last year. I would be shocked to hear that. Like I said, maybe I’m wrong, which wouldn’t be crazy. Just shocked is all.
Who said "the whole fan base"?

Gert B Frobe

Nov 18, 2003
Chester County
Actually I'm pretty sure most of this board has come to the conclusion that Ghost was their best D last year, even if some of them try to minimize it with the "but that's not saying much" comments. :laugh:

Provorov was awful
Myers was awful
Hagg and Braun are awful
Sanheim was the only other guy who was good

Also who says we had to give any of them to Arizona? That's not reality and not even worth a hypothetical.

Ghost was the Flyers best defenseman last season, and most of this board agrees with your opinion?
Good Lord...

Reactions: deadhead

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I think Provorov does more than the previous poster says, but he is definitely overrated by this fanbase. They think he's a true #1 when he's not. He's a top pair defenseman when paired with the correct partner. He cannot carry a top pair.
Yup. And that's not an insult to him at all.

He's what I call a "top-pair-capable top 4 defensemen". As in, he can play on the top pair and not be out of place, but isn't someone who is a clear lock to be there, no matter what, no matter what team, no matter who he's with.

Good defensively, good in transition, good skater, great at shooting on the rush, PKs, and can play a ton of icetime. He can be the other half of a very good pair, like he was with Ghost or Niskanen.

On the other hand... he's not the kind of guy that can play with anyone and carry. He's not great in all situations - pretty bad in the offensive zone when set up, awful on the PP, not creative or dynamic - and isn't consistent from season to season. Although part of that is the coaches fault for overusing him and asking way too much, which of course is going to negatively impact his game. Cut his icetime back and I'd bet his play improves. He's the kind of guy with great instincts but not great IQ, if that makes any sense.... the more time he has the worse his decision making is, as if he overloads by thinking too much (which is why he's great on the rush and sucks on the PP).

I like him a lot; even have a signed mini-helmet. I just wish he was set up to succeed instead of set up to fail. He could be a much better asset if used appropriately.

Last edited:

Juicy Pop

BONK
Apr 26, 2014
Scranton, PA

It's a pretty binary choice here:

30 GMs were completely idiotic and should have lept at a free top-4D [with spare assets to boot in a trade]

or

Our fans were biased towards a former player and couldn't make a good evaluation of his play in a shortened season

I'll go with the easier explanation.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
It's a pretty binary choice here:

30 GMs were completely idiotic and should have lept at a free top-4D

or

Our fans were biased towards a former player and couldn't make a good evaluation of his play in a shortened season
Not every GM had the cap space or the need to change up their D.

The rest are completely idiotic and should have leapt at a free top-4D. Yes.

There's no possible way to argue that Ghost should have negative value. He's a net positive player on a good contract.

Last edited:

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
all words are words
tenor.gif

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad