Sportsnet: Flyers to go after Bobrovsky this offseason?

HawkeyTalkMan

Jun 23, 2015
Bobrovsky will be the biggest goalie contract mistake possibly ever. He's simply been a terrible post season goalie and he will just get worse in the regular season as he gets older and he will command a Carey price type contract

Last edited:

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
Seems like a lot of teams could be looking for goaltending right now, and his price should be quite high if he goes to free agency.

Talbot, Schneider, Murray, C. Anderson, Luongo, Crawford, etc are guys that were looked on as pretty legit starting goalies 1-2 years ago, who have all gotten old or simply declined with injuries or whatever. Then there are your typical culprits of Carolina, St. Louis, Philly, Vancouver, NYI, etc who probably aren't happy with their goaltending either.

When Bishop hit free agency, I feel like there were only ~4-5 teams who would have been in the running for giving out that type of contract for a goalie.

Tank To Win

Apr 8, 2010
Northampton, Pa
They would do that in a heart beat if Bob wanted to... But he will probably demand atleast that amount of cash on a 7 year deal.... And will get it

And, who are those teams that would give Bob a 7 year contract at $9 million per year? For a goalie that seems to stop playing once the paychecks stop rolling in, that seems to be a bit of a risk.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
And, who are those teams that would give Bob a 7 year contract at $9 million per year? For a goalie that seems to stop playing once the paychecks stop rolling in, that seems to be a bit of a risk.

I'm not a fan of acwuiring Bob, but saying he mails it in after regular season is a really poor narrative. I think CBJ have gotten first round draws with the last 3 cup winners. Not much you can do there.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Bryzgalov 2.0. Bob cracks under any amound of pressure and cant stop a beach ball come playoffs. Anything of 6x4 would be a gross overpayment.

2gO3XUH.gif

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
Which just goes to show that small sample sizes, like you used for Hart, can be misleading.

Still a huge gamble to expect him to move teams and systems at 31, to a place where he has previously struggled, and expect him to maintain those numbers for the duration of his contract, and expect Hart to progress slowly and/or just deal with it for 5+ years.
Except that Hart has never proven anything in a professional hockey league

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
As someone who has always defended Bob and has been someone who has wanted to keep Bob all the way until this year... any team that takes him Im sorry. This is not the Bob you know from previous years. Mentally the guy is broken. He is still a great goalie and makes unbelievable saves but he misses gimmies then crumbles. I love the guy and will always appreciate him helping turn us around but he needs a sports psychiatrist and a new team badly. His head isn't here anymore.

PriceIsGod

Carey Please :)
Jul 15, 2012
You know...
Yeah, Montreal has never lost a trade or signed a player to a crazy contract before, right? At least JVR's contract can be easily moved, or he can be left exposed to the expansion draft.

I'd kick the tires on a 2-3 year deal for Bob, but I'm sure his agent would want more. He knows this is his last chance to get his client a big deal. If the Flyers didn't have Hart in the AHL, it would be a different story. He had a rough start, but he seems to be coming around lately. Plus, I'm not really sure if Bob would be the right guy to mentor a guy like Carter Hart anyway. That's really what the team needs. Stolarz has been doing a pretty decent job lately and it seems like he's been given the opportunity to showcase what he can do.

Goalies are made in the playoffs. I don't care how many Vezina trophies Bob has won. He's done nothing in the playoffs. Corey Crawford and Matt Murray have won multiple cups, and no Vezina's. I don't believe Jonathan Quick ever won a Vezina either.

Don't take things so personally it was a joke. Price's contract is terrible.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Goalies don't age the same way as other players, they tend to age more favorably.
That's not really true at all...

In fact, goalies tend to have a shorter high-level lifespan, and don't have their production and results transfer as easily across teams.

Bobrovsky doesn't have to make Philly a cup contender. He'd be brought in to get them into the playoffs. Right now they are missing out on that experience and revenue.
That's a bad reason to make a potentially team-crippling move like that.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
That's the big question....and I think GM's seeing what has happened with Carey Price are not going to offer that term again. They would rather go more $ at less term, imo.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
If Bobrovsky is still Bobrovsky, then it won't matter whether Hart pans out some years down the road or not. Move Hart or move Bob if you get to that point.

What matters is Bob, and how many of his best years are ahead of him. You don't make this decision based on goalie prospects.

captainpaxil

Dec 2, 2008
Carolina is going to offer him a price like deal and i want no parts of trying to top what they offer. I loved bob when he was a flyer andwhen he perfected his glove in colombus he became the player i thought he could be but i dont see him as the king of the crease in 5 years

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
Why??? They have Hart in the AHL, future Vezina level goalie. No sense what so ever to go for Bob.
- but hey!, if Philly does, Hawks are more than welcome to take Hart from your giving hands :banana:.

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA
I hope NYI stay away from BOB. Right now he isn't playing well and I'd let Philly throw big cash at him.
I rather just go after Varlomov if he is cheaper or probably just sign Talbot until a young prospect is ready to flourish.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Being Philly and all, you just know he'd sign a huge contract there and shit the bed and devolve into a backup again.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
Why would Philly invest a huge amount of term and money into a goalie when they have one of the best goalie prospects who will want a spot in the next couple years?
You have to take the Flyers history into account and not view this in a vacuum.

They have something of a goalie curse.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 1