Sportsnet: Flyers to go after Bobrovsky this offseason?

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
This isn't going to work unless this is done ala Bishop/Vasilevskiy with Hart. Otherwise you're dealing a player you've developed a really shitty hand to sit behind a vet wanting a payday

Hart will be ready and when that time comes you don't need the $8 million backup or whatever Bob wants

CB Joe

Oct 12, 2008
He's 15 games into his first professional season, he's 8-4-1, his last few games have been really good, and he's just coming off of his first shutout. He's improved every single year of his career.

Yeah, you don't wait around twiddling your thumbs, but that doesn't explain committing big term and money to a goaltender past when Hart would be ready. Especially when the goaltender you're signing didn't fit your team the last time around, and you traded him away.

Honestly, paying a goaltender big term and money is a stupid idea in general. It's more stupid when they'll be 31. It's even more stupid when they are coming fresh to your team. Goaltending is so much about fit with a team and their style of play, and you're basically rolling the dice.
Who said anything about too much term? No team is going to Carey Price him. He probably takes a 5 year deal.

There is only one starter in the NHL that's under 25 and thriving. Hart is 20 and probably won't be ready for at least 3-5 years. Pay to play now and deal with the Hart problem when and if it arises.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Because Hart is 20 and has a 3.12GAA and .899 save percentage in the AHL.
Also, I know I already replied to this, but I saw Bobrovsky's stats, and it's just too perfect to not point out.

Bobrovsky has a 3.14 GAA and 0.898 save percentage. I know, AHL vs. NHL, but almost identical in their respective leagues.

Reactions: MC2D

CapnZin

Jul 20, 2017
Sweden
I don't think he takes a 1-year deal, regardless of the money.

There are an extremely limited number of goalie spots available around the league, and goalie value and reputations are the most fragile things. A goalie can go from elite hero to worthless zero super fast, and no offense, but Philly isn't exactly historically helpful to goalies. If Bobrovsky is getting long-term offers after this year, he'd be stupid not to take them and lock in as much money as he can, especially right before a lockout.
Oh yeah Philly hasn’t had a goalie since Hextall.

The point I was just making is that term is their biggest issue with player- not money.

Reactions: Dekes For Days

member 147413

Why would Philly invest a huge amount of term and money into a goalie when they have one of the best goalie prospects who will want a spot in the next couple years?
Because goalie prospects are a total crapshoot and Hart has been total crap in his first taste of pro hockey on a Top 10 team.

CB Joe

Oct 12, 2008
Also, I know I already replied to this, but I saw Bobrovsky's stats, and it's just too perfect to not point out.

Bobrovsky has a 3.14 GAA and 0.898 save percentage. I know, AHL vs. NHL, but almost identical in their respective leagues.
Now go ahead and look at Bobrovsky's career stats and stats in recent years. .919 career save percentage and .921 last season and .931 the year before. He won the Vezina twice too.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
I dont know about that... still a good D man (myers?) + 3rd line center + goalie away from being amazing

Yeah might have been stretching it there, but it would do wonders in making them a more consistent team for sure.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Who said anything about too much term? No team is going to Carey Price him. He probably takes a 5 year deal.
He'll probably take the longest contract he can get. I still think 5 years is too much.

There is only one starter in the NHL that's under 25 and thriving.
I feel like this is a little misleading, just because of the nature of the position. I would be interested in how many goalies, especially of Hart's caliber and reputation, took over the position on their team before they were 25-26.

Feels like a waste to eat through all of his RFA years and get nothing from them.

Hart is 20 and probably won't be ready for at least 3-5 years.
Hart would be 21 at the start of next season. I disagree that he'll take that long, but I guess who knows with goalies.

Jerkob Slavin

Likable Jerk
Mar 8, 2012
Monroe, NC
I can all but guarantee Carolina is going to back up the Brink’s truck.

I also fear we will break him. Carolina tends to limit shots, but the ones that get through tend to be high danger. It’s hard to stay sharp facing only a handful of shots in a period and ill-timed lapses in fundamentals seem to bite us in the derrière far too often.

Reactions: SvechNecas

ArchAngel55

Nov 16, 2008
Philadelphia, Pa
Given they have one of the top goalie prospects in their system I doubt they go out and sign Bobrovsky. I think Bobrovsky will get a lot of play in free agency, just won't be from Philly.
All that makes 100% sense but can we really trust the patience of the front office. Scary as hell as a Flyers fan.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Now go ahead and look at Bobrovsky's career stats and stats in recent years. .919 career save percentage and .921 last season and .931 the year before. He won the Vezina twice too.
Which just goes to show that small sample sizes, like you used for Hart, can be misleading.

Still a huge gamble to expect him to move teams and systems at 31, to a place where he has previously struggled, and expect him to maintain those numbers for the duration of his contract, and expect Hart to progress slowly and/or just deal with it for 5+ years.

Spectra

Registered boozer
Aug 3, 2005
I think they should just sign Steve Mason until Hart is ready. Oh, they already tried that? Crap, maybe ask Hextall to make a comeback between the pipes? Can't be worse than what they have and I think they're still paying him for something else...

CB Joe

Oct 12, 2008
Which just goes to show that small sample sizes, like you used for Hart, can be misleading.

Still a huge gamble to expect him to move teams and systems at 31, to a place where he has previously struggled, and expect him to maintain those numbers for the duration of his contract, and expect Hart to progress slowly and/or just deal with it for 5+ years.
Yes they can be misleading, but Bobrovsky have proved over and over again that he's a quality NHL goalie. Hart doesn't have that resume to back him up. Hart hasn't proven that he can succeed in the AHL yet. It would be absurd for Philly to pass up a chance at one of the best goalies in the last decade because they have a good 20 year old goalie prospect. Philly has a good enough roster to make the playoffs but are currently sitting 6 points out of a playoff spot and a player like Bobrovsky could change that.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Yes they can be misleading, but Bobrovsky have proved over and over again that he's a quality NHL goalie. Hart doesn't have that resume to back him up. Hart hasn't proven that he can succeed in the AHL yet. It would be absurd for Philly to pass up a chance at one of the best goalies in the last decade because they have a good 20 year old goalie prospect. Philly has a good enough roster to make the playoffs but are currently sitting 6 points out of a playoff spot and a player like Bobrovsky could change that.
He's proven that he has been a quality but inconsistent goaltender on one singular team in the NHL, over his prime, while still being extremely disappointing in the playoffs, in even his best years. And now he's past his prime and showing red flags and a potential decline, in his contract year.

If I had one of the best prospects in the league for a position of need, I'd see how they do past 15 AHL games before I wrote them off for the next half decade, especially when they've recently been great.

I don't think Bobrovsky makes Philly a cup contender.

CB Joe

Oct 12, 2008
He's proven that he has been a quality but inconsistent goaltender on one singular team in the NHL, over his prime, while still being extremely disappointing in the playoffs, in even his best years. And now he's past his prime and showing red flags and a potential decline, in his contract year.

If I had one of the best prospects in the league for a position of need, I'd see how they do past 15 AHL games before I wrote them off for the next half decade, especially when they've recently been great.

I don't think Bobrovsky makes Philly a cup contender.
Bobvoksky has been pretty consistent over his last several years. This year appears to be an anomaly. Goalies don't age the same way as other players, they tend to age more favorably.

Obviously Philly is going to give Hart more that 15 games in the AHL as they can't sign Bobrovsky before free agency.

Bobrovsky doesn't have to make Philly a cup contender. He'd be brought in to get them into the playoffs. Right now they are missing out on that experience and revenue.

mercury

Mar 10, 2003
South Philly/SoCal
Visit site
The Flyers needs more than just a goalie, and Hart is improving every game. They need to shed some bad contracts, continue drafting well, and be judicious with the free agent signings. A veteran top-4 defenseman is a huge need. A true 3rd line center is a need. More scoring depth (either through young forwards developing or adding someone) will be necessary to make deep playoff runs. And goaltending is a need, but you cannot do anything rash this offseason. Sign someone for 2-3 years. A new coach/system and improved special teams are the most glaring needs, IMO.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Another thread where fans post their uneducated opinions about flyers goaltending. Wonderful.

Maybe someone could tell me the flyers 5v5 sv% over the last few years to point out that goaltending isn't the issue.. it's overexposing the goalie with a terrible pk system first and foremost.

Would a better, more consistent goalie help? Sure. But it's not the biggest problem we have.

Last edited:

Tank To Win

Apr 8, 2010
Northampton, Pa
Loses JVR trade
Signs JVR to a crazy UFA contract
Loses Bobrovsky trade
Hmm :sarcasm:

Yeah, Montreal has never lost a trade or signed a player to a crazy contract before, right? At least JVR's contract can be easily moved, or he can be left exposed to the expansion draft.

I'd kick the tires on a 2-3 year deal for Bob, but I'm sure his agent would want more. He knows this is his last chance to get his client a big deal. If the Flyers didn't have Hart in the AHL, it would be a different story. He had a rough start, but he seems to be coming around lately. Plus, I'm not really sure if Bob would be the right guy to mentor a guy like Carter Hart anyway. That's really what the team needs. Stolarz has been doing a pretty decent job lately and it seems like he's been given the opportunity to showcase what he can do.

Goalies are made in the playoffs. I don't care how many Vezina trophies Bob has won. He's done nothing in the playoffs. Corey Crawford and Matt Murray have won multiple cups, and no Vezina's. I don't believe Jonathan Quick ever won a Vezina either.

Wingsfan 4 life

Oct 9, 2016
Honestly, I think Hextall as a stopgag makes more sense than Bob.

Bob is most likely looking for a long term deal.

Taylorst

Jun 26, 2018
That would be a bad deal to go after a guy who father time is catching up , huge salary hit, and great regular season guy but post season horrible,

Philly isn't 1 player away from being a Stanley cup favorite,

Taylorst

Jun 26, 2018
Given they have one of the top goalie prospects in their system I doubt they go out and sign Bobrovsky. I think Bobrovsky will get a lot of play in free agency, just won't be from Philly.

I think your right however I don't see any team that is a goalie away from being a cup contender going after him . Most teams won't take the risk nor have cap money to offer him so if he wants a big payday it's gonna be on a team that isn't going anywhere really.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad