Sportsnet: Flyers to go after Bobrovsky this offseason?

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014

The answer to the longest-running riddle in hockey may come from an unexpected place: As the Philadelphia Flyers ruminate on how to shore up their goaltending — at least until prospect Carter Hart is ready to take the wheel — there are whispers they will take a run at Sergei Bobrovsky on July 1. Yes, that’s the same Sergei Bobrovsky the Flyers once signed as an undrafted free agent out of Russia. The same Sergei Bobrovsky they traded to Columbus for a second-, third- and fourth-round draft pick, only to see him win the Vezina Trophy twice. Bobrovsky has posted the NHL’s second-best save percentage (.921) since being dealt to the Blue Jackets in 2012. It’s a strong track record that accounts for his struggles in the first third of this season — struggles that will probably be overlooked by the Flyers, Islanders and others should he hit the open market this summer, as expected.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
That would be a huge pickup for them. They are a goalie away from being amazing

Redpath

Sep 30, 2011
History repeats itself. Already been down this path with Roman Cechmanek

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
Bobrovsky is going to get paid, either by them or Carolina.

I can't see both those franchises accepting fail again because of AHL caliber goaltending. NYI will certainly offer him good money as well.

As good a prospect as he is, Carter Hart is, like all other goalies prospects, far from a sure thing. He is looking better as of late though, after a really, really tough professional start.

Bobrovsky is having a bad season but is still a top 5 goalie in the NHL.

Reactions: Eb

Jozay

Jul 9, 2012
Toronto
I dont think so with Hart in their system.

They'll probably opt for someone that will command less term and money to bridge the gap. Thats probably the right decision considering the contract Bobrovsky will get.

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
I dont think so with Hart in their system.

They'll probably opt for someone that will command less term and money to bridge the gap. Thats probably the right decision considering the contract Bobrovsky will get.

I mean couldn't they offer bobrovsky 3 years x 9 million?

Apr 9, 2009
USA
I would love for Philly to sink a ton of money into a goalie, especially one the Pens generally play very well against.

Reactions: mikeyp24

CB Joe

Oct 12, 2008
Why would Philly invest a huge amount of term and money into a goalie when they have one of the best goalie prospects who will want a spot in the next couple years?
Because Hart is 20 and has a 3.12GAA and .899 save percentage in the AHL. Goalies take a long time to develop. Despite being a top goalie prospect there is always the chance that he never pans out too. Philly has a decent roster so there's no reason why they should be waiting around.

Reactions: smitty10

Euforic

Dec 1, 2018
Give the young talent goalies a chance this season. Philly must trade for push the DEF, that's prime target

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
He’s worse than Auston Matthews in the playoffs. He won’t be their solution. Plus, he will get overpaid.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Because Hart is 20 and has a 3.12GAA and .899 save percentage in the AHL. Goalies take a long time to develop. Despite being a top goalie prospect there is always the chance that he never pans out too. Philly has a decent roster so there's no reason why they should be waiting around.
He's 15 games into his first professional season, he's 8-4-1, his last few games have been really good, and he's just coming off of his first shutout. He's improved every single year of his career.

Yeah, you don't wait around twiddling your thumbs, but that doesn't explain committing big term and money to a goaltender past when Hart would be ready. Especially when the goaltender you're signing didn't fit your team the last time around, and you traded him away.

Honestly, paying a goaltender big term and money is a stupid idea in general. It's more stupid when they'll be 31. It's even more stupid when they are coming fresh to your team. Goaltending is so much about fit with a team and their style of play, and you're basically rolling the dice.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
Bobrovsky is awful when there’s any sort of pressure on. He’s never gotten out of the 1st round and never posted a SV% above .900 in the playoffs and is going to be 31 by the time next season starts.

Why tie yourself down to such a monstrous contract when Hart is waiting in the wings?

CapnZin

Jul 20, 2017
Sweden
Why would Philly invest a huge amount of term and money into a goalie when they have one of the best goalie prospects who will want a spot in the next couple years?
They would invest money, but not term.

Hart is likely a year, MAYBE two, from being a NHL mainstay. It depends how much they want to cook him in the AHL.

My guess is that they offer 1 year 8mil or more. Idk how much he wants.

With Lehtera off the books this offseason they have an extra 5mil to spend and they won’t put any more money in elliot or Neuvirth so that’s another 3 or so right there.

Provorov, TK, and Patrick need extensions also.

Bob, most likely, won’t take 1 year, unless the money is there. Rightfully so.

Reactions: Euforic

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
They would invest money, but not term.
My guess is that they offer 1 year 8mil or more. Idk how much he wants.
Bob, most likely, won’t take 1 year, unless the money is there. Rightfully so.
I don't think he takes a 1-year deal, regardless of the money.

There are an extremely limited number of goalie spots available around the league, and goalie value and reputations are the most fragile things. A goalie can go from elite hero to worthless zero super fast, and no offense, but Philly isn't exactly historically helpful to goalies. If Bobrovsky is getting long-term offers after this year, he'd be stupid not to take them and lock in as much money as he can, especially right before a lockout.

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
He's 15 games into his first professional season, he's 8-4-1, his last few games have been really good, and he's just coming off of his first shutout. He's improved every single year of his career.

Yeah, you don't wait around twiddling your thumbs, but that doesn't explain committing big term and money to a goaltender past when Hart would be ready. Especially when the goaltender you're signing didn't fit your team the last time around, and you traded him away.

Honestly, paying a goaltender big term and money is a stupid idea in general. It's more stupid when they'll be 31. It's even more stupid when they are coming fresh to your team. Goaltending is so much about fit with a team and their style of play, and you're basically rolling the dice.

Yeah, Hart had an adjustment period but he's settling in well. I mean, this is the first year in his life living on his own, for crying out loud, he and a teammate lived by candlelight for a few days at the start of this season because they didn't know how to set up an electric bill. He's getting going now, he's got a .924 over his last 5 games, and that even includes a 6 goal shelling that wasn't really his fault (LV got badly outplayed). If he stays the way he's been, he could be NHL ready next season.

Reactions: Dekes For Days

Euforic

Dec 1, 2018
Trade:
Simmonds, Elliot, Neuvirth,

change behind the boards. Push for Queneville

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Given they have one of the top goalie prospects in their system I doubt they go out and sign Bobrovsky. I think Bobrovsky will get a lot of play in free agency, just won't be from Philly.

Reactions: Taylorst

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad