Confirmed with Link: Flyers sign Two-Way Contract with C Ryan White

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
There is going to be some fierce competition for the bottom forward spots at camp. I'd assume all these guys are locks.

Giroux, Umberger, Lecavalier, Voracek, Simmonds, Read, BSchenn, Couturier, Raffl.

Which leaves these guys fighting it out for the last four or five spots:

Laughton
Rinaldo
Rosehill
Bellemare
Akeson
White
Jones
VandeVelde
Alderson

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
There is going to be some fierce competition for the bottom forward spots at camp. I'd assume all these guys are locks.

Giroux, Umberger, Lecavalier, Voracek, Simmonds, Read, BSchenn, Couturier, Raffl.

Which leaves these guys fighting it out for the last four or five spots:

Laughton
Rinaldo
Rosehill
Bellemare
Akeson
White
Jones
VandeVelde
Alderson

The bolded I believe are the front-runners. Rosehill I really don't know. I don't think he should be on the roster by any means, but he seems like he's going to be the 13th forward because he's there. After that, it could be anyone.

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
The bolded I believe are the front-runners. Rosehill I really don't know. I don't think he should be on the roster by any means, but he seems like he's going to be the 13th forward because he's there. After that, it could be anyone.

PEB should also be included in that group. They didn't pluck a 29 year old out of the SHL if they weren't confident that he can make the roster.

Embiid

On early summer vacay
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
Per Meltzer

This signing is a depth addition for the Flyers. If the team prefers to have Scott Laughton play in the AHL to get more ice than he would in a fourth-line role, White may be the Flyers fourth-line center. Michael Raffl is also a candidate for the spot, as he played a bit in that spot last season in addition to moving around the lineup as a winger.

If White is assigned to the Phantoms, he would be a superior AHL/NHL swingman to the players the Flyers had in that role last year. He knocks Chris VandeVelde down a notch on the organizational depth chart and is an NHL-level upgrade on Kris Newbury (who is now in the Washington Capitals' organization).

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Bill...gs-White--Morin-Goaltenders-and-More/45/61693

MtlBoxFan

Jun 19, 2014
For those trying to get to know what kind of player Ryan White is:

He's a 4th liner with grit, a little undersized who's maximum potential is to be a slightly undersized energy line guy who can take faceoffs and do penalty kill.

Montreal lacked a lot of toughness and White took it upon himself to try to be that guy. That led to taking bad penalties, causing hits like that one to Huskins etc etc. He's a useful player but shows bad decision making in the physical department. He beat the living hell out of Boychuk though in response to Boychuck squaring off against that beast Jaroslav Spacek so Montrealers like him for that.

He's also streaky. He'll probably play like that physical energy guy you always wanted for about a week...then he'll disappear for a couple months.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
PEB should also be included in that group. They didn't pluck a 29 year old out of the SHL if they weren't confident that he can make the roster.

Eh. Guys get signed all the time from Euro leagues from all different ages. I don't consider him on the same level as those other players at this point, simply because he hasn't played a game yet. That could very easily change after the first preseason game, but we see Euro guys flop all the time. I'm not saying he will flop, but I'm not going to call him a favorite because he had a good couple years in a different league.

CanadianFlyer88

Knublin' PPs
Feb 12, 2004
Van City

Be prepared for Laughton to play most of the year with the Phantoms (barring centre injuries).

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
Eh. Guys get signed all the time from Euro leagues from all different ages. I don't consider him on the same level as those other players at this point, simply because he hasn't played a game yet. That could very easily change after the first preseason game, but we see Euro guys flop all the time. I'm not saying he will flop, but I'm not going to call him a favorite because he had a good couple years in a different league.

Rinaldo should not be considered ahead of PEB just because he's played games in the NHL. Rinaldo might be the worst player in the entire league getting consistent minutes.

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
Great locker-room guy, he's a trooper on the ice. Will go through a wall for his teammates and he's a great pest. Was undisciplined during the lockout season but he's sorted out those issues. Not the fastest skater but he can follow the play. Good on faceoffs and has a pretty good power on his wrist shot (but that's about it really). I felt like he was really starting to grow as a player last year and was pissed that he was benched at times. He's a good penalty killer and I'm sure you guys will love him.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Do you think that the five game suspension he got for knocking out Huskins at the end of the lockout season forced him to change his game?

Rinaldo should not be considered ahead of PEB just because he's played games in the NHL. Rinaldo might be the worst player in the entire league getting consistent minutes.

Rinaldo must have been close to most penalties per 60 minutes, and least points per 60 minutes amongst forwards.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ

That's not why he's ahead of PEB. PEB is not on the list because he has never played a game in a NA league. Rinaldo is one of the favorites because, whether you or other HFB scouts like him, the coaches clearly are comfortable putting him in there. This is in no way a knock against PEB, but I don't think he has an edge on anyone (at least none of the bolded guys) going in to camp because he is an unknown at this point. He had a good WC and he is highly regarded in Sweden. Those guys exist every year. Some of them come in and make in impact on a team, others come in and are fringle NHLers, and others disappear back to Sweden.

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
That's not why he's ahead of PEB. PEB is not on the list because he has never played a game in a NA league. Rinaldo is one of the favorites because, whether you or other HFB scouts like him, the coaches clearly are comfortable putting him in there. This is in no way a knock against PEB, but I don't think he has an edge on anyone (at least none of the bolded guys) going in to camp because he is an unknown at this point. He had a good WC and he is highly regarded in Sweden. Those guys exist every year. Some of them come in and make in impact on a team, others come in and are fringle NHLers, and others disappear back to Sweden.

Rinaldo shouldn't be a favorite of any coach at the NHL level. But I know, I'm just an HFB scout and Berube has forgotten more about hockey than I'll ever know. So why ever question his decisions?

PEB has shown a level of skill that Rinaldo can only dream of. If the Flyers are in the business of winning hockey games, they'll focus more on players like Bellemare, and less on useless plugs like Rinaldo.

I also never said that PEB should be favored over the guys you mentioned (with the exception of Rinaldo). I said that he should be included in that group as a favorite to make the roster based on what he's accomplished in the SHL.

CanadianFlyer88

Knublin' PPs
Feb 12, 2004
Van City
You think? Is that because you don't think he is ready or you think someone will beat him out for the 4C spot?

Every move the Flyers have made this off-season has suggested that they're taking a patient approach with the kids.

In this respect, it looks like they would rather see the kids play more minutes with Phantoms/in Juniors than limited minutes with the Flyers.

Time will tell, but I expect it to play out this way.

*It doesn't really matter whether or not I think anyone's ready. ;)

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Rinaldo shouldn't be a favorite of any coach at the NHL level. But I know, I'm just an HFB scout and Berube has forgotten more about hockey than I'll ever know. So why ever question his decisions?

PEB has shown a level of skill that Rinaldo can only dream of. If the Flyers are in the business of winning hockey games, they'll focus more on players like Bellemare, and less on useless plugs like Rinaldo.

I also never said that PEB should be favored over the guys you mentioned (with the exception of Rinaldo). I said that he should be included in that group as a favorite to make the roster based on what he's accomplished in the SHL.

I am not arguing about who should be the favorites, I am talking about who the favorites are. You may hate Rinaldo. You may think he sucks. And you may be 100% right. And Berube and Co. may be 100% wrong. But to act like he isn't a favorite going into camp, when that spot has been his essentially for the last three seasons, is silly. Again, at the end of the day, the spot may not be his this year, but you don't lose a spot because posters on HFBoards don't like you. PEB may be the better hockey player, and his skill level may be better than Rinaldo's. He probably is. But as I've argued before, and as the coaches clearly seem to think the same way, Rinaldo brings other things to the table.

You don't have to like that and you don't have to agree with the decisions the coaches make. You can call them out all day long. But to say Rinaldo is not a front-runner for one of the open 4th line spots is ridiculous.

As far as PEB being a favorite as well, I think he has to get into camp and play a preseason game or two before any judgment is made on him. Like I said, guys from Euro leagues come here all the time, all of them with different accolades and accomplishments. Not all of them stick. Just because a guy played well in the SHL doesn't mean anything until he laces them up against NHL competition. Once training camp opens, he could easily jump to the top of the list. But I'm not putting him at the top because he played well in another league.

BackToTheBrierePatch

Justice for Cricket
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
I want to ice a 4th line that can take a regular shift. not 4 or 5 minutes a game. guys like Rinaldo cant take a regular shift. Do we have other 4th liners that we signed recently who can? who the **** knows. I just want a 4th line that can be used for more then just going out there and trying to knock a guy into row 4 every shift.
not saying I don't want a physical player on the 4th line, just want 3 forwards who can do more then just hit and get their face caved in.
I said it before if you watched the playoffs you saw the more successful teams being able to roll 4 lines.

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
I am not arguing about who should be the favorites, I am talking about who the favorites are. You may hate Rinaldo. You may think he sucks. And you may be 100% right. And Berube and Co. may be 100% wrong. But to act like he isn't a favorite going into camp, when that spot has been his essentially for the last three seasons, is silly. Again, at the end of the day, the spot may not be his this year, but you don't lose a spot because posters on HFBoards don't like you. PEB may be the better hockey player, and his skill level may be better than Rinaldo's. He probably is. But as I've argued before, and as the coaches clearly seem to think the same way, Rinaldo brings other things to the table.

You don't have to like that and you don't have to agree with the decisions the coaches make. You can call them out all day long. But to say Rinaldo is not a front-runner for one of the open 4th line spots is ridiculous.

As far as PEB being a favorite as well, I think he has to get into camp and play a preseason game or two before any judgment is made on him. Like I said, guys from Euro leagues come here all the time, all of them with different accolades and accomplishments. Not all of them stick. Just because a guy played well in the SHL doesn't mean anything until he laces them up against NHL competition. Once training camp opens, he could easily jump to the top of the list. But I'm not putting him at the top because he played well in another league.

Rinaldo was a Homer guy. We have no way of knowing if Hextall feels the same way.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Hextall has more power than Berube. He's Berube's boss. If he doesn't like Rinaldo he can waive or trade him.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: