Confirmed with Link: Flyers Sign Philippe Myers, D to ELC (9/21/15)

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Evaluating Philippe Myers: An in-depth look at his...

Still, the foundation is clearly there for Myers. As a great entry defense/good puck mover type of blueliner, the potential is there for him to become something like an upgraded, right-handed Braydon Coburn. The onus is now on Myers to fill out the offensive side of his game, and continue to learn — by trial and error — the limits of his aggressive defensive mentality.

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
From the article:

Myers the Gandalf of zone entry defense

Myers has been treating the blueline like his personal Bridge of Khazad-dûm, playing the role of a much younger and more agile Gandalf.

“Yeah, I think we preached that a lot in Lehigh, and I’m just trying to bring the same mentality up here,” Myers said. “If the team can’t gain the zone with control, it’s harder for them to make plays and create stuff offensively. It’s obviously a lot funner for teams to break in with control instead of dumping the puck in and go retrieve it, or turning it over. I just try to be aggressive, but be smart at the same time. If you have a good gap, you can allow yourself to do that. That’s just something I’ve been working on for a long time now, and I’m happy it can translate to this level.”

If that's what's preached at LHV, it's no wonder that Gordon has taken to benching AMac.

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
I know you're being facetious but Charlie does mention his lack of offensive production as being a negative and that he doesn't think he'll be an elite point producer.

That's fine though, if he can be a better Coburn type we'll take it.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
I know you're being facetious but Charlie does mention his lack of offensive production as being a negative and that he doesn't think he'll be an elite point producer.

He’s got a lot more offense than Coburn. He can create for himself quite well. Where he doesn’t excel is passing and playmaking. He’s not Hagg by any means but he’s well off from a guy like Sanheim or Ghost.

Reactions: Magua

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia

Well most reasonable people thought Morin could be a bigger, meaner Coburn. If that ends up being Myers instead, so be it. That is still a very good top 4 Dman.

Also, if Hagg can get 20 points, Myers can get 20-30. Coburn, fwiw, only has 3 seasons of 20+ points over his 13 year career.

And any way you cut it, grabbing an undrafted guy and him turning into an NHLer is already a win.

C0DITH

Apr 30, 2017
Myers will be fine, each year all these 22 year olds gain experience, is another year of confidence in areas of their game. Myers has all the tools to be be able to put up points while being responsible.

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
Well most reasonable people thought Morin could be a bigger, meaner Coburn. If that ends up being Myers instead, so be it. That is still a very good top 4 Dman.

Also, if Hagg can get 20 points, Myers can get 20-30. Coburn, fwiw, only has 3 seasons of 20+ points over his 13 year career.

And any way you cut it, grabbing an undrafted guy and him turning into an NHLer is already a win.

Yeah I'm not worried. I think he's going to put up points, he certainly is aggressive offensively and he has all the skills.

I really think Sanheim-Myers could end up being our top pairing.

Oskar Man

Social Assassin
Nov 30, 2010
With Ghost and Sanheim on the roster, they don't have to rely on him for offense. Pair him up with one of the two and the offense will develop with time

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Comparing Myers to Coburn makes sense if you use a 17 game sample of a rookie who is being used as a #6/7 with no PP time and stapled to an AHL 4th line. His history and skill-set and just watching him shows those two aren't anything alike, and that he has plenty of offensive tools. But then again, a certain someone thought Hagg was the next Gudas in his prospect watching.

He's not a great passer. I think that it will improve with more structure. But he has an array of blue line moves, head fakes, insane mobility both straight line and laterally, and an uncanny aggressiveness in all zones. Getting shots through does need improvement, and it did in the AHL. Like other defensemen in this organization, his ceiling doubtfully is reached here. But Myers oozes potential, and it's not crazy to believe he'll continue late blooming in his skill. He's still so raw and has unique tools.

If that's what's preached at LHV, it's no wonder that Gordon has taken to benching AMac.

Well, Gordon coached Hagg too. And MacDonald at multiple levels. Some guys just are dumb players and/or have no trust in their ability. No coaches at pro levels insist on, "Keep wide gaps. Don't get beat outside." That's peewee stuff, and bad fundamentals at that level even.

That said: Myers' gap control has been elite since Rouyn-Noranda. Nothing in LHV coached that up. It was already there. Now, Sanheim's gap control was coached up.

Last edited:

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Not scoring huh?

Weird because I thought Ghost was made expendable by Sanheim and then Sanheim was made expendable by Myers, so he’s supposed to be better than both of them already.

Something about a centaur.... or maybe it was a griffin... ? Hmmmmm... he was supposed to be some kind of mythical creature because he’s tough and both those more offensively skilled p***yes are weak. Others were also saying he was going to be better than them next year, so maybe we should learn to manage expectations and not trade away great defensemen for no reason?

In all seriousness, Myers has the potential to be a very good defensemen but NONE of Sanheim, Provorov, Ghost, or Myers are expendable right now. We need all of them more than any forward position and if anything we need to add even more high potential D.

FlyTimmo

pit <3
Jul 10, 2013
None of the top-4 guys are expendable and nor will they become expendable anytime soon. The notion that having several good offensive defenseman will cause another to become expendable is not even worth discussing. Anyone who thinks that is clearly out of touch with the current trends of the league.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
MORE MORE MORE.

Unfortunately there is only one puck, and a limited roster and a salary Cap.

TANSTAFFL.

iceman42

May 7, 2003
Enfield, NH
On pace for 9 points over 82 games.....less than Hagg had last year as a rookie.

Food for thought.

:D
That's not a fair comparison for the kid, I mean Hagg is the only defenseman in the NHL with the creativity and SKILL to shoot wide on net and control the puck with his mind to have it bounce sideways and then behind the goaltender .. its unfair I tell you, unfair. :D

Reactions: gertbfrobe16

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
I wouldn't trade any of those 4 for almost anything and hell, I never wanted to trade Morin either.

Myers can do so much with the puck that he doesn't need to become a great passer to be a top-pair defenseman. He doesn't need to put up gaudy point totals to contribute on offense either. As we've seen this year, when you ice 5 guys who are threats offensively and not a Hagg or AMac type, it's pretty tough to contain when you've got Couturier or Giroux on the ice.

Trade for Spurgeon, rotate Myers, Gudas and Morin and if Morin through two months and if Morin is good to go, trade Gudas.

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
Comparing Myers to Coburn makes sense if you use a 17 game sample of a rookie who is being used as a #6/7 with no PP time and stapled to an AHL 4th line. His history and skill-set and just watching him shows those two aren't anything alike, and that he has plenty of offensive tools. But then again, a certain someone thought Hagg was the next Gudas in his prospect watching.

He's not a great passer. I think that it will improve with more structure. But he has an array of blue line moves, head fakes, insane mobility both straight line and laterally, and an uncanny aggressiveness in all zones. Getting shots through does need improvement, and it did in the AHL. Like other defensemen in this organization, his ceiling doubtfully is reached here. But Myers oozes potential, and it's not crazy to believe he'll continue late blooming in his skill. He's still so raw and has unique tools.

Well, Gordon coached Hagg too. And MacDonald at multiple levels. Some guys just are dumb players and/or have no trust in their ability. No coaches at pro levels insist on, "Keep wide gaps. Don't get beat outside." That's peewee stuff, and bad fundamentals at that level even.

That said: Myers' gap control has been elite since Rouyn-Noranda. Nothing in LHV coached that up. It was already there. Now, Sanheim's gap control was coached up.

Honestly I've never seen a defenseman on the Flyers with Myers' athletic ability, and there aren't too many in NHL history either. Charlie pointed out Hedman as someone with huge size and elite skating but Myers looks even more agile to me. (No, I'm not gonna say he's gonna be Hedman)

He's the best raw talent on the team since Lindros.

Morin's athleticism is surprising too, considering how rusty he is. Unbelievable to me that this team management didn't want to get both on the ice as quickly as possible.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad