Confirmed with Link: Flyers Sign Philippe Myers, D to ELC (9/21/15)

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
This is the most stupid thing I've read on here in a long time.

Go back and look at some playoff games, Vegas didn't win on speed and skill, they had a hot goalie but also played the man for 200 feet, putting body on body, not necessarily knocking people down left and right, but constant pressure at both ends of the ice, and that requires commitment by the players.

I want a team that plays "playoff hockey" from game 1, that is, playing tough, disciplined hockey all season, not whining about contact and hoping the refs will bail them out (which happens in the regular season but not the playoffs), skating 200 feet, finishing checks, chasing the puck into corners and not shying away from hits, forwards willing to pay the price to play between the lower faceoff circles and in front of the net, defensemen challenging D-zone entries and blocking shots.

I'm a FLYERS fan, let Tampa Bay play Ice Capades hockey, I want a little snarl in my players, I want a forecheck that looks like a pack of wolves on skates chasing the puck, a defense like Gandalf on the bridge (you shall not pass!)

FlyTimmo

pit <3
Jul 10, 2013
Go back and look at some playoff games, Vegas didn't win on speed and skill, they had a hot goalie but also played the man for 200 feet, putting body on body, not necessarily knocking people down left and right, but constant pressure at both ends of the ice, and that requires commitment by the players.

I want a team that plays "playoff hockey" from game 1, that is, playing tough, disciplined hockey all season, not whining about contact and hoping the refs will bail them out (which happens in the regular season but not the playoffs), skating 200 feet, finishing checks, chasing the puck into corners and not shying away from hits, forwards willing to pay the price to play between the lower faceoff circles and in front of the net, defensemen challenging D-zone entries and blocking shots.

I'm a FLYERS fan, let Tampa Bay play Ice Capades hockey, I want a little snarl in my players, I want a forecheck that looks like a pack of wolves on skates chasing the puck, a defense like Gandalf on the bridge (you shall not pass!)

The Flyers have been playing that "style" since the Bullies era. Guess how many cups it got us since?

Reactions: Striiker

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
The Flyers have been playing that "style" since the Bullies era. Guess how many cups it got us since?

When was the last time the Flyers had a real goalie?
When was the last time the Flyers fielded 3 good lines?
When was the last time the Flyers had 4 good defensemen?

When they had 2 of 3 they've made the SC finals.
If they ever get 3 of 3, they might win a Cup!
The philosophy is fine, up to now the personnel have come up short.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP

SfYY9Ec.gif

giphy.gif

hayen

Apr 7, 2017
When was the last time the Flyers had a real goalie?
When was the last time the Flyers fielded 3 good lines?
When was the last time the Flyers had 4 good defensemen?

When they had 2 of 3 they've made the SC finals.
If they ever get 3 of 3, they might win a Cup!
The philosophy is fine, up to now the personnel have come up short.
Good points. Take the cap and get some true grit added to goal or a line. D or O I don't care but add something that says we're coming for you

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
Teams are going to hate playing against us. To more than likely have Ghost, Sanheim and Myers on different pairings and always out is going to make things so tough. It’s also going to be a lot better than typical when one gets injured. You can move them up and down. Just keep Provy and Couts healthy and you are good shape unless you hit a rut the size a few teams have hit in recent years.

bauer

I MISS GHOST
Nov 11, 2007
Do you remember all last year and summer you were screaming to the heavens that Sanheim was going to be a bigger, better version of Ghost, who you constantly dumped on? And then Sanheim has a poor results-based season, with great peripherals, and to most fans it's a good time to stick by your guns with the long view in mind.......but you proceed to sh*t all over him? It's fascinating, I'll tell you that much.

that's what contrarian's do. if everyone on this board starting praising Hakstol (shudder) he would no doubt then immediately start trashing him. he has no real legit thoughts, just rejects whatever the popular opinion is.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Any intelligent person would reject a lot of the knee jerk popular opinion here.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
How did our elite LW do against Pittsburgh?
How did their elite C do against us?

Case closed.

6 games ...don't you think that is a bit knee jerkish.... Giroux was bad, crosby was god like but you can't watch that bipolar series and come out with anything definitive other than Couts is a warrior and gudas sucks.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
6 games ...don't you think that is a bit knee jerkish.... Giroux was bad, crosby was god like but you can't watch that bipolar series and come out with anything definitive other than Couts is a warrior and gudas sucks.

Giroux hasn't stepped up in a playoff series since 2011-12.
Since then, 20g, 3-7 10 -10
Either elite means a player who is rare and special, or it's just BS.
And elite players do it over an extended period, until last season his best stretch was 2011-14: he was 22 in pp/60 (5x5), 2nd in pp/60 (Power Play), but 122nd in xGF.

Giroux is a very good player who had a great regular season. His first top season in five years.
But only a homer would call him "elite."

Reactions: hatcher

bauer

I MISS GHOST
Nov 11, 2007
How did our elite LW do against Pittsburgh?
How did their elite C do against us?

Case closed.

so a bad playoff series means a player is not elite now?

2012 Karlsson. after a 78 point season only got 1 point in 7 games in 1st round.
2013 Ovechkin. 2 points in a 7 game series in round 1.
2015 Malkin. ZERO points in 5 games in round 1.
2017 Patrick Kane. only 2 points in round 1.
2018 Kopitar. only 2 points in round 1.
2018 Matthews. only 2 points in 7 games in round 1.

all poor performances in the first round by elite players which were all worse than what Giroux just had. what's the excuse now? here's a shocking newsflash for you, elite players can have a bad series. but somehow Giroux isn't elite, with your only argument being that he had 3 points in a 6 game series against the back-to-back champions that had 2 of the top 5 centers in the game? you are unbelievable. you should seriously go follow a different sport because you are truly clueless about hockey.

hatcher

Sep 30, 2007
Kelowna BC
No. Most regular season games are played halfed ass and our team doesn't draw a lot of attention like the old days so players might have good seasons but when the playoffs start and the other teams show a lot more our top players die and in reality after watching the pens vs caps the pens didn't really put it in as they know they had nothing to really play against. Coots had a good game 6 but Murray made that possible by playing like shit. Coots first two goals were terrible and laughtons was worse so lets see what happens this year as last was back up goalies and teams that knew they could beat us at anytime.

hatcher

Sep 30, 2007
Kelowna BC
so a bad playoff series means a player is not elite now?

2012 Karlsson. after a 78 point season only got 1 point in 7 games in 1st round.
2013 Ovechkin. 2 points in a 7 game series in round 1.
2015 Malkin. ZERO points in 5 games in round 1.
2017 Patrick Kane. only 2 points in round 1.
2018 Kopitar. only 2 points in round 1.
2018 Matthews. only 2 points in 7 games in round 1.

all poor performances in the first round by elite players which were all worse than what Giroux just had. what's the excuse now? here's a shocking newsflash for you, elite players can have a bad series. but somehow Giroux isn't elite, with your only argument being that he had 3 points in a 6 game series against the back-to-back champions that had 2 of the top 5 centers in the game? you are unbelievable. you should seriously go follow a different sport because you are truly clueless about hockey.
Don't compare those players as they are a lot better then anything on our team period.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad