Confirmed with Link: Flyers Sign Philippe Myers, D to ELC (9/21/15)

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
You don't find it weird they generally are happy with him doing this stuff and talk him up when he does? He does so many things they don't like.

I’ve thought about that too. The only thing I can figure is that they view him as a different class of prospect than last year’s group — the Category A to Morin’s B. Or deadhead has org sources and has been feeding us their philosophy from Day 1.

Is it wrong to hope it’s the latter? Talk about entertainment.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Season highlights from the unicorn.

It’s so magnificent.

RaptorJesus.gif

Please make the team out of camp and kick MacDonald out of the top 4 and Hagg out of the lineup. Please, Phil.

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012
That game was televised. I remember because I saved that and two other clips from that game just because he was hilariously entertaining in it.

Ugggh. I kind of just threw this video together quickly. I knew it was missing all kinds of Myers crazy rushes and other foolishness. Oh well.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Myers just needs to do two things, stay healthy and burn his videos of Voracek doing the cycle.
I think, like Sanheim, his biggest issue is learning that just because he can skate end to end, doesn't mean he should in the NHL, that is, accept the pro game is less forgiving of mistakes and to pick his spots.

One problem with pairing Sanheim and Myers right now is you'd have two young players, both who like the puck, trying to play together.
It might be a great combo down the road, but it could be butt ugly for a year or so while they learn how to mesh and when to play it safe and to cover for each other.
Whereas say Hagg (Morin) - Myers would be an easier fit, similar to Sanheim - Gudas.

Provorov - Ghost works because they have defined roles, Ghost controls the puck at the blue line, Provorov attacks the area between the face off circles when the opportunity presents itself, and Ghost has learned to just dump it in deep when pressured rather than try to get cute and get stripped.

It's also why this team is still a couple years away, it takes time for a young defenseman to develop into a reliable two way player (Nashville' foursome are all in their mid to late 20s), in 2020-21, Ghost (27), Provorov (24), Sanheim (24), Myers (24), Morin (25), Friedman (25), Hagg (25), Hogberg (21), Ginning (20) - even if you lose one in the ED, you have a defensive core that is just entering their prime years and could play together for 5-10 more seasons.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Ugggh. I kind of just threw this video together quickly. I knew it was missing all kinds of Myers crazy rushes and other foolishness. Oh well.

Don't ugggh. :laugh:

Those are the only clips I have. I think I clipped them because Bill Meltzer was talking about Myers not projecting as an offensive d-man but a reliable 2-way one a la Coburn. You could probably have tripled the video length for all those little flashes, some of which didn't materialize into anything. But we all know how good he is and how good he looked. Your video more than does justice. There's always this video too.....

Reactions: Stizzle

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Myers projects like Provorov projects, nothing wrong with a two way defenseman who can put up points!
He's big and strong enough to handle business in his D-zone, and skilled enough to make things happen in the O-zone.

Provorov focused on defense his first season and still ended up with 25 ES points.
He then worked on his offensive game his second season and put up 15-21 36 at ES, better than most of our forwards!
This year ????

Ghost took the opposite tack, started as an offensive force and really improved his defense the third season.

Myers will probably be given more defensive responsibility, like Provorov, because you already have Ghost and Sanheim, how many puck movers can play at one time (there's only one puck)? Myers could be an instant hit on the PK, and a shutdown defender who creates points like Provorov, sneaking in from the blue line.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
70-80%, I would have thought 30% before the playoffs when his injuries cost him too many games, and would have him going back to the AHL to start the season.

But he made up for those lost games in the playoffs, and showed he is an exceptional talent, and has 1st pair endurance (60+ minutes in that ridiculous overtime game is off the charts!).

It''ll come down to playing under control in the exhibition games, if he tries too hard to impress and makes too many mistakes, he'll get sent down, if he shows he understands the NHL game and plays under control he can convince Ron he's ready.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
“Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement.”

Provorov4Norris

Sep 28, 2017
70-80%, I would have thought 30% before the playoffs when his injuries cost him too many games, and would have him going back to the AHL to start the season.

But he made up for those lost games in the playoffs, and showed he is an exceptional talent, and has 1st pair endurance (60+ minutes in that ridiculous overtime game is off the charts!).

It''ll come down to playing under control in the exhibition games, if he tries too hard to impress and makes too many mistakes, he'll get sent down, if he shows he understands the NHL game and plays under control he can convince Ron he's ready.

appreciate the enthusiasm and would love that figure to be true but just don't see it given the # of contracts they have in the NHL...if he makes it they'll likely need to move Gudas which they aren't going to do lightly...he'll not only have to be good for that to happen but great. If there were an open spot or he was competing with Folin for that spot I might agree but that's not the case.

MacDonald4MVP

May 7, 2016
This kid needs to make the team. Also considering flyers couldnt develop d to save their life's and potentially having

Provy Ghost
Sanheim Gudas
Amac/Morin Myers
Hagg Follin

is making me moist.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Wouldn't be at all surprised to start the year with Myers on the NHL roster but then have Hakstol sit him until Hextall sends him down.

Haks favorites can't sit so Mac and Hagg will get spots they don't deserve.

Reactions: Tripod and Rebels57

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
In the couple games I caught at PPL this year (a rando regular season and the double OT game of the Providence series) I was just mesmerized by the dude. Certainly has some raw edges in his positional play he hast to work on, and I'd like to see him take better/smarter shots or passes at times (he'll do all the work and then drift one into the logo).

But my god, a guy that size shouldn't move like that. It's obscene and incredible, just a smooth and gargantuan stride. Coach him up a bit and let him mingle with Claude, Shayne, and Ivan a lot in camp and this thing is going to be so much damn fun.

Reactions: Rebels57

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
If he's one of the six best he'll be starting, "best" not "flashiest."
The difference is that Myers is a full grown man who can play the PK and the end of games when things get rough and refs swallow whistles.

MacDonald4MVP

May 7, 2016
Wouldn't be at all surprised to start the year with Myers on the NHL roster but then have Hakstol sit him until Hextall sends him down.

Haks favorites can't sit so Mac and Hagg will get spots they don't deserve.
For some reason I'm convinced hagg is far from haks favorite. I just feel like he is one of those players who gets ton of opportunities one year just to be completely shafted the next.

He did the same thing with Weise, Streit, Manning, Torgo.
The only players that were his clear cut ride or die were Filps, Belly, Amac and fricking vandevelde who he would announce to be scratched, but end sitting Read instead lol.

However it will be a tough situation to see who Amac will end up chaperoning Sanheim or Myers?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad