Confirmed with Link: Flyers Sign Philippe Myers, D to ELC (9/21/15)

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
TK had a great second half, unfortunately TK also showed he couldn't play well with anyone but Couts and Giroux, compare to say Voracek or even Raffl, who both played well on the 1st line and the 4th line. We saw the same thing with Schenn, give him the right linemates and he's a top forward, but he's not going to elevate the play of his linemates. Hopefully, as TK grows up as a player he'll raise his game to the next level.

Part of this reflects that Raffl's game works everywhere, because it's built around work more than skill - so when he isn't scoring he's still forechecking, playing defense and making his linemates look better. Of course, even with the most talented linemates he's not going to score like a top forward because he lacks those sort of skills.

Voracek made plays (i.e. set up scoring chances) where ever he played, he just converted on them (got points) a lot more with Couts and Giroux.

Of course, this kind of nuance will fly right by the hive mind.
In the hive mind, you are great or lousy, there is no in between, no context.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
For anyone who cares about reality...

Konecny's most common forward linemates:

Couturier
Giroux
Filppula
Patrick (first half of the season when he wasn't playing well)
Simmonds
Raffl
Weise
Laughton (which means he was also getting 4th line time)
Lehtera
Weal
Leier
Read

As you can see, when he wasn't with Giroux and Couturier he had ZERO help and nobody could have scored under those circumstances. The next real top 6 linemate he had was Voracek, who he played with for a grand total of 19 minutes all year.

On top of that, it's being intentionally dishonest to act like he was carried by Giroux and Couturier. He very clearly pulled his own weight on that line and he created just as much offense as they did. Look at these goals and notice how many were him scoring because of his own speed or shot, not because one of his linemates did it all for him.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
For anyone who cares about reality...

Konecny's most common forward linemates:

Couturier
Giroux
Filppula
Patrick (first half of the season when he wasn't playing well)
Simmonds
Raffl
Weise
Laughton (which means he was also getting 4th line time)
Lehtera
Weal
Leier
Read

As you can see, when he wasn't with Giroux and Couturier he had ZERO help and nobody could have scored under those circumstances. The next real top 6 linemate he had was Voracek, who he played with for a grand total of 19 minutes all year.

On top of that, it's being intentionally dishonest to act like he was carried by Giroux and Couturier. He very clearly pulled his own weight on that line and he created just as much offense as they did. Look at these goals and notice how many were him scoring because of his own speed or shot, not because one of his linemates did it all for him.

that goal against boston is amazing.

Reactions: onlylordsvsmorebp

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
WAIT A GOLLY GOSH DARN SECOND

You mean to tell me that Bergeron was on the ice and we scored? Great players can make mistakes and still be great? No player is flawless and judging them based only on a few mistakes is a stupid thing to do?

Well this is all shocking news to me. I was led to believe that REAL star players are flawless. Guess our lazy garbage top players aren't such duds after all.

Reactions: Tripod

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
WAIT A GOLLY GOSH DARN SECOND

You mean to tell me that Bergeron was on the ice and we scored? Great players can make mistakes and still be great? No player is flawless and judging them based only on a few mistakes is a stupid thing to do?

Well this is all shocking news to me. I was led to believe that REAL star players are flawless. Guess our lazy garbage top players aren't such duds after all.
All wussies.

Reactions: Striiker

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Its almost (definitely) like people that dont recognize how good Giroux and Konecny really are have a MAJOR mental deficiency
Add Ghost to that list too.

Notice what they have in common? Under 6’0” and ultra skilled. And it’s not even like any of them are weak/soft players either.

Reactions: Rebels57

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Ghost was a much better player last season than the year before, the injury was part of it, so was his stubborn insistence that he could force action even though he had lost a couple strides from his rookie season. He's still not the same player physically that he was as a rookie, but he's a lot smarter. "A man's got to know his limitations."

TK improved a lot, but if another player on a different team had his half-season and their fans were slobbering all over him, you'd all be saying, ok, let's see what he does next season. Part of being a proven player is to "prove it all night," i.e., more than 40 games. He was still out of control at times.

Giroux had a fluke season, anyone wanna bet he repeats this year? I'd trade him in a heartbeat for a dozen players, he's very good, but he's not a franchise cornerstone player, even at his peak he wasn't a dominant player, the only ones on the Flyers who might be are Provorov and Patrick, and that remains to be seen. Couts is a better player than Giroux right now because he can control play at both ends of the ice.

The only elite Flyer players I've seen are Clarke, Parent, Lindros (when healthy) and Pronger.
Lot's of very good players over the years, but these four were in a different category.

Harhis

Oct 30, 2017
Finland
but he's not a franchise cornerstone player, even at his peak he wasn't a dominant player, the only ones on the Flyers who might be are Provorov and Patrick, and that remains to be seen.

That is just bs. How many times player has scored 100 points in last 10 years. I guess there are no doninant players in this era except for McDavid and Crosby?

I would bet my house that Patrick will never be as good as G has been in his prime. As much I hope he will be better, but thats so unlikely.

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly
That is just bs. How many times player has scored 100 points in last 10 years. I guess there are no doninant players in this era except for McDavid and Crosby?

Just 10 different players have hit the century mark in the last decade:

1) Malkin (2x)
2) H. Sedin
3) Ovechkin (2x)
4) Crosby (3x)
5) McDavid (2x)
6) Kane
7) D. Sedin
8) Giroux
9) Backstrom
10) Kucherov

And in the last 5 years, only 5 players have accomplished the feat, and only one of those more than once.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I wouldn't bet against Patrick, IF he develops, his size and hockey IQ could make him better than Giroux, there is both scoring, and keeping the other team from scoring. The best players do both. If Couts was only a faster skater, he'd be elite, Patrick is a faster skater.

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
Hey guys, just a reminder. I bumped this thread to share a neat Phil Myers video I made. You should watch it. Also, the Pimp Misha video from last month. Watch that also. :damnpc:

Hey Stizzle,

You tried to correct this thread. But the powers of beating a dead horse is strong here. I am sorry my friend. It was a good effort!

Regards,

SC

wankstifier

All glory to the harvest god
Jun 19, 2018
Is anyone feeling confident that Myers makes the roster after preseason?

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I’d bet everything I own that Myers is already better than Hagg and MacDonald, so it’s not really a question of if he can play in the NHL.

It just comes down to if he shows enough to convince Hextall to make room for him. Hextall needs to make it so that Hakstol doesn’t have an opportunity to make the wrong choice, since obviously he’ll do that 99 times out of 100. Unfortunately our worst player just got a 2 year deal so he’s looking like a lock and our chances for the best possible roster are zero.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
I’m a huge Konecny fan. He stunk the first two months of last season & deserved his demotion. He still has a tendency to make stupid mistakes by trying to do too much, & it’s not outlandish for a coach to try to remove that from a 20-year-old’s game.

He improved, & maybe Hakstol’s firmness had something to do with it.

Striiker seems to live by the Oilers’ mantra of just throwing all your talent the top minutes because of their skill, but they should be a cautionary tale that you need more than skill to succeed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad