Confirmed with Link: Flyers Sign Michal Neuvirth (2 Years $1.625AAV)

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
I thought someone would give him top end backup money (ie just over 2 mil) so was reluctant to be excited about the potential of getting him... but this is really nice, the guy can play hockey and can get from post to post at least 3.14 times quicker than Emery did...

Chicken Chaser

Zaphod Beeblebrox
Mar 21, 2009
St. James's Gate
Neuvirth is very good backup goalie.

Hes a bit inconsistent if he doesnt play enough, but he did very vell when he became n1 in buffalo last year.

Great job by Hextall.

this clip is great for two reasons, great save and lateral movement by our newly acquired goalie, and a complete dogs hit effort by Kessel starting in his own end all the way down the ice... can't wait to see that happening in Pitt. :naughty:

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I guess with no starting jobs available after Dubnyk re-signed and the Sharks traded for Jones, you could say Neuvirth was the best goalie on the UFA market.

Ryker

Oct 3, 2008
Triangle, NC, USA
Whatever. Not a fan of Neuvirth and this move. I would've preferred Hextall not to have signed him, but the deal itself is pretty reasonable and he's a decent backup. He's definitely better than Emery, but I still wish he'd go away. Oh well.

tade

Mar 6, 2013
Brno, Czech Republic
Whatever. Not a fan of Neuvirth and this move. I would've preferred Hextall not to have signed him, but the deal itself is pretty reasonable and he's a decent backup. He's definitely better than Emery, but I still wish he'd go away. Oh well.

But why? He was the best FA available as back up. Better than Greiss, Enroth, Gustavsson, Lindback, Fasth. How come you not like it...

Ryker

Oct 3, 2008
Triangle, NC, USA
Maybe it's because he's Czech? He whined about the Kase pick too, I think.
See, when you say crap like that, you lose all credibility. I was actually saying that I like Kase, and here you say the exact opposite. Good job misrepresenting what others say.
But why? He was the best FA available as back up. Better than Greiss, Enroth, Gustavsson, Lindback, Fasth. How come you not like it...
I would've definitely preferred Greiss and Fasth over Neuvirth.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002

Feel free to disclose your trepidation and who you'd rather have

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Guess I remembered wrong, that's why I specifically said "I think", I wasn't sure.

I believe it's because it was actually in the Kase thread that you were blabbering on about disliking the Q and players that come from it and how you hope they fail.

Either way, the point is that you have ridiculous reasons for disliking certain players so it wouldn't be surprising if this was another case of that.

Ryker

Oct 3, 2008
Triangle, NC, USA
Either way, the point is that you have ridiculous reasons for disliking certain players so it wouldn't be surprising if this was another case of that.
The reasons don't matter, and I'm sure your hate for certain players is equally as ridiculous as mine. It's like having to justify why you like certain people/music/color/whatever and not the others. Now that's ridiculous, seeing as how people just sometimes like stuff for no rational and tangible reason (except for "reverse engineered" justification afterwards, of course). I mean, unlike others at least I don't fool myself and construct this whole framework of rationality where there is none.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I hate players if they suck or if they act like idiots, not if they're from a certain region...

Here's who I hated last year from the Flyers.

Berube
Grossmann
Lecavalier
Emery

I hated them because each of them did their best to make the team lose, either because of incometence, lack of skill, or lack of health, not because they were from a certain region or played in a certain league.

I'd say that's perfectly reasonable.

Around the league, I hate players who have a reputation for diving/embellishing or who take cheap shots.

Also perfectly reasonable.

So no, I don't have equally as ridiculous reasons as you do.

Ryker

Oct 3, 2008
Triangle, NC, USA
Feel free to disclose your trepidation and who you'd rather have
On top of the ones mentioned above, I would've also preferred Eremenko, Yezhov, Salak, Kolesnik, Karlsson, Barulin, Proskuryakov, Boltshauser and aus den Birken, to name just a couple of free agents.

BringBackHakstol

Oct 25, 2005
Philadelphia
The reasons don't matter, and I'm sure your hate for certain players is equally as ridiculous as mine. It's like having to justify why you like certain people/music/color/whatever and not the others. Now that's ridiculous, seeing as how people just sometimes like stuff for no rational and tangible reason (except for "reverse engineered" justification afterwards, of course). I mean, unlike others at least I don't fool myself and construct this whole framework of rationality where there is none.

The reasons don't matter? Wtf?

Ryker

Oct 3, 2008
Triangle, NC, USA
The reasons don't matter? Wtf?
Well, in Neuvirth's case, I actually don't like him because he's given more goaltending credit that I think he deserves. If this was a meritocracy, I don't think he'd be in the NHL. Plus, as I said, there are just too many goalies that I'd rather see in the Flyers uniform than him.

But, yeah, as long as ho harm is done, the reasons don't matter, and I don't mind when people here hate on Malkin or whoever they then ascribe to qualities that only they see. It's their prerogative, even though I personally don't share their opinion. It's the same thing with liking players. Sometimes there's just something you can't pinpoint exactly that makes you like them. Sure, most often it's their style of play, but very frequently you're also just going to later give a rational foundation for liking them.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Last 3 seasons:

Overall sv%:

Neuvirth: .915 (60 gp)
Griess: .915 (51 gp)
Ramo: .912 (74 gp)
Enroth: .908 (90 gp)
Fasth: .904 (63 gp)
Gustavsson: .904 (41 gp)
Lindback: .902 (73 gp)
Ellis: .897 (47 gp)

5v5 sv%:

Neuvirth: .923
Griess: .923
Enorth .922
Ramo: .919
Gustavsson: .915
Lindback: .909
Fasth: .909
Ellis: .904

Career:

Griess: .913 (89 gp)
Neuvirth: .912 (168 gp)
Enroth: .909 (131 gp)
Ellis: .906 (212 gp)
Ramo: .905 (122 gp)
Lindback: .905 (111 gp)
Fasth: .904 (63 gp)
Gustavsson: .901 (148 gp)

I know which one I would want... I actually thought Neuvirth was a pipe-dream as he would command too much, hence me wanting Greiss most of last year.

BringBackHakstol

Oct 25, 2005
Philadelphia
Well, in Neuvirth's case, I actually don't like him because he's given more goaltending credit that I think he deserves. If this was a meritocracy, I don't think he'd be in the NHL. Plus, as I said, there are just too many goalies that I'd rather see in the Flyers uniform than him.

But, yeah, as long as ho harm is done, the reasons don't matter, and I don't mind when people here hate on Malkin or whoever they then ascribe to qualities that only they see. It's their prerogative, even though I personally don't share their opinion. It's the same thing with liking players. Sometimes there's just something you can't pinpoint exactly that makes you like them. Sure, most often it's their style of play, but very frequently you're also just going to later give a rational foundation for liking them.

How is it not a meritocracy? Is he keeping a job because he's got dirty pictures of NHL GM's or something?

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
One really interesting thing when you delve into Neuvirths stats.

He is elite at stopping shot in the high % scoring areas... (better than Mason actually.)
He is also above average with low % chances.

But his sv % vs middling chances is one of the worst in the league. (the opposite of Mason... who has the best since joining the Flyers on any NHL goalie. Though Mason has been above average in low and high % chances as well.)

Ryker

Oct 3, 2008
Triangle, NC, USA
One really interesting thing when you delve into Neuvirths stats.

He is elite at stopping shot in the high % scoring areas... (better than Mason actually.)
He is also above average with low % chances.

But his sv % vs middling chances is one of the worst in the league. (the opposite of Mason... who has the best since joining the Flyers on any NHL goalie. Though Mason has been above average in low and high % chances as well.)
He does have a good quality start percentage, for what it's worth. And I do think he's going to be a better backup than Emery.

How is it not a meritocracy? Is he keeping a job because he's got dirty pictures of NHL GM's or something?
Maybe I shouldn't have used the word meritocracy. What I meant is that the 60 NHL goalies aren't the 60 best goalies in the world, because becoming a goalie in the league doesn't depend on just skill, but also being in the right place at the right time. I think this is also clearly exhibited in the fact that when people suggest goalie names they merely restrict themselves to current NHL free agents and goalies in their pipeline (sure, you can say that's because they think these are the best, but to me it's more about having a restricted mindset going into it). The GMs do sometimes broaden their horizons, but scouting resources are limited and not every goalie can be given the same chance in terms of evaluation. So, yeah, you have to be quite good to make it to the NHL, but half of those 60 could easily be replaced by other goalies. And I'm not saying there's anything wrong with the system. I realize you can't give everyone the same chance, since there are only so many games/contracts/whatever available.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00