Confirmed with Link: Flyers Sign Michal Neuvirth (2 Years $1.625AAV)

ILoveStephanieBrown

Nov 6, 2012
God forbid the team get better. Oh no!!! The Flyers don't need anymore top 10 picks.

I can see them being a wild card team. Especially if Provorov makes the team and has a good rookie year.

Ryker

Oct 3, 2008
Triangle, NC, USA
maybe they should of signed Peter Budaj instead:sarcasm:
of course the Phantoms need another goalie so he is still a possibility.
See, I never said that. When someone suggested Budaj in another thread, I even said I want no part of that, and I think Neuvirth is a way better option than that. I mean, even as far as Neuvirth is concerned, I never said he won't be a good backup. So I don't know how every single tiny criticism is taken as being contrarian. And then you guys laugh at the Leafs and Oilers fanbases.
Yeah, I don't get it either... Fasth over Neuvirth, lol. And if he is serious about these KHL goalies then... no way he has to be trolling. :laugh:
Yeah, how could I possibly be serious about KHL goalies, right? Especially about someone like Salak. I mean, he and Neuvirth are both Czech, but only Neuvirth gets regularly called up for the World Championships and the Olympic Games, whereas Salak is then idly sitting at home. Oh, wait...

But that must be an appeal to authority again, right? It's not just saying that other people who also watch these goalies on a more regular basis than the posters here (including myself) share that opinion. Nope. You're also not using a strawman when attacking what I said, right? Saying I prefer someone in a Flyers uniform is not the same as saying that I think that someone is better, but I guess such subtleties get lost around here.
^^^^^^
Please guys, for once, dont take the bait
I'm sorry I interrupted the circle jerk, I'll try not to get in the way next time.

tade

Mar 6, 2013
Brno, Czech Republic
See, I never said that. When someone suggested Budaj in another thread, I even said I want no part of that, and I think Neuvirth is a way better option than that. I mean, even as far as Neuvirth is concerned, I never said he won't be a good backup. So I don't know how every single tiny criticism is taken as being contrarian. And then you guys laugh at the Leafs and Oilers fanbases.
Yeah, how could I possibly be serious about KHL goalies, right? Especially about someone like Salak. I mean, he and Neuvirth are both Czech, but only Neuvirth gets regularly called up for the World Championships and the Olympic Games, whereas Salak is then idly sitting at home. Oh, wait...

But that must be an appeal to authority again, right? It's not just saying that other people who also watch these goalies on a more regular basis than the posters here (including myself) share that opinion. Nope. You're also not using a strawman when attacking what I said, right? Saying I prefer someone in a Flyers uniform is not the same as saying that I think that someone is better, but I guess such subtleties get lost around here.
I'm sorry I interrupted the circle jerk, I'll try not to get in the way next time.

Good try with Salak but nah. That's not good reasoning. Salak is really not that great goalie and we saw that at WHC in Prague. Coaches (Ruzicka and Hadamczik) just liked him more because he was starter on a good KHL team (but he faced much less competiton than what is facing Neuvirth in NHL). They saw him (Salak) all year long. He was able to play for national team in EHT and he played a lot of games in KHL. That is what decided, It wasn't decided because "Salak is better than Neuvirth, so let's get him a call" because no, he isn't.

Neuvirth as a back up in NHL (in harder competition) hasn't seen needed amount of games - and that was deciding for our coaches. They are afraid of taking risk at someone who they haven't seen enough and who isn't starter in NHL when they can call up someone like Salak who's played a lot of games in KHL and be comfortable with him but that certainly doesn't mean he's better player, better goalie. I'm 100% confident that if Neuvirth went to KHL he would be one of the top goalies there but it would also depend on the team.

Just for example, do you know that our former national coach (Hadamczik) selected Michal Barinka and Petr Nedved to Olympics in Sochi? And left player like Jiri Hudler? That says it all and it should put your weird reasoning to elsewhere now. That was incompetence of our coach at its best.

I will leave it at this thing - you seem to me like a guy who likes controversial opinions, opinions which shares only "you" on this board and when you're defending most of your opinions on players, I don't see much of a logical aspects and reasoning at all. It's more of a "I dont like him, I dont like him! KHL is good!" without adding much else. Have fun with it.

Ryker

Oct 3, 2008
Triangle, NC, USA
Good try with Salak but nah. That's not good reasoning. Salak is really not that great goalie and we saw that at WHC in Prague. Coaches (Ruzicka and Hadamczik) just liked him more because he was starter on a good KHL team (but he faced much less competiton than what is facing Neuvirth in NHL). They saw him (Salak) all year long. He was able to play for national team in EHT and he played a lot of games in KHL. That is what decided, It wasn't decided because "Salak is better than Neuvirth, so let's get him a call" because no, he isn't.
So why isn't he better? Because Neuvirth's a backup in a better league? If you extend this reasoning, then players like Rinaldo are better than Radulov and Kovalchuk, because they're fringe NHLers (aka backups in terms of skaters). Do you agree with that? I mean, ****, Salak carried Sibir on his back to the KHL Eastern finals. He was spectacular.
Neuvirth as a back up in NHL (in harder competition) hasn't seen needed amount of games - and that was deciding for our coaches. They are afraid of taking risk at someone who they haven't seen enough and who isn't starter in NHL when they can call up someone like Salak who's played a lot of games in KHL and be comfortable with him but that certainly doesn't mean he's better player, better goalie. I'm 100% confident that if Neuvirth went to KHL he would be one of the top goalies there but it would also depend on the team.
You're saying I don't have a logical argument behind what I'm saying and then you make an assumption like that. Maybe he would be, maybe he wouldn't. But the only thing we know is that Salak brought results, whereas Neuvirth also brought them, but as a backup. I'm not saying the difference between the two is huge, but to me Salak is better and I'd rather have him on the team.
Just for example, do you know that our former national coach (Hadamczik) selected Michal Barinka and Petr Nedved to Olympics in Sochi? And left player like Jiri Hudler? That says it all and it should put your weird reasoning to elsewhere now. That was incompetence of our coach at its best.
Sure, I'd have picked Hudler, too. But that doesn't invalidate the other choices. Plus, I wasn't even saying I was right because they agree with me, I was just pointing out the fact that people who have seen more of Czech goalies' games than you put Salak (and a bunch of other guys) over Neuvirth.

And, again, why is it even controversial when someone is not a fan of a particular move? It was a two-line comment that I thought no one would be rattled by.

tade

Mar 6, 2013
Brno, Czech Republic
Yeah and just when we are comparing Neuvirth and Salak, you brought to the discussion something ridiculous like Rinaldo to Radulov/Kovalchuk. That is nonsense.

Neuvirth was able to succeed in NHL (aka in the undisputedly best league of hockey) Salak wasn't, that's the main difference so he went to the league where the competition isn't that strong and that's where he shined. Is there any reason to think that Neuvirth who was able to succeed in NHL unlike Salak, would have big issues to succeed also in KHL? That's the logic, I'm talking about. And the answer for me is quite simple.

And the next thing is that you always need a good or very good goalie in any league (doesn't matter if it's NHL or KHL). Obviously there are exceptions and always will be from time to time...

That means comparing goalies between two leagues is quite easy to do. Honestly, you can't do the same about all of the forwards (or it's definitely harder) because there are lot of role players, players who are required to do one, two specific jobs and that's why it is harder to compere forwards/defenseman through the leagues (NHL/KHL) because the style of hockey is different. But the goalie needs to stop the puck, they need to do this one job either in NHL or KHL...

And then of course given the fact that NHL is the league featuring the best hockey players all over the world, it is much harder for goalies in NHL to do this job so I definitely think Michal Neuvirth is better goalie than Alexander Salak.

Ryker

Oct 3, 2008
Triangle, NC, USA
Yeah and just when we are comparing Neuvirth and Salak, you brought to the discussion something ridiculous like Rinaldo to Radulov/Kovalchuk. That is nonsense.
I thought you were saying that since Neuvirth plays in the NHL, he's better than Salak. If this isn't true, disregard the comparison.
Neuvirth was able to succeed in NHL (aka in the undisputedly best league of hockey) Salak wasn't, that's the main difference so he went to the league where the competition isn't that strong and that's where he shined. Is there any reason to think that Neuvirth who was able to succeed in NHL unlike Salak, would have big issues to succeed also in KHL? That's the logic, I'm talking about. And the answer for me is quite simple.
OK, fair enough. But Salak played a grand total of two games in the NHL and that's what I was saying earlier. You get an opportunity, you have to grasp it there and then. Some goalies are given more shots than others, and if you're one of the luckier ones, you can redeem yourself even if you don't shine right away. On the other hand, if you're not, you're given a couple of games and if you're not convincing then, you're out. The year Salak played those two games, Florida goalies were Vokoun (who was great that year) and Clemmensen (who I think was seen as a good veteran backup so many teams like to engage while keeping younger guys in the AHL).
And the next thing is that you always need a good or very good goalie in any league (doesn't matter if it's NHL or KHL). Obviously there are exceptions and always will be from time to time...
Sure, I never said that's not the case.
That means comparing goalies between two leagues is quite easy to do. Honestly, you can't do the same about all of the forwards (or it's definitely harder) because there are lot of role players, players who are required to do one, two specific jobs and that's why it is harder to compere forwards/defenseman through the leagues (NHL/KHL) because the style of hockey is different. But the goalie needs to stop the puck, they need to do this one job either in NHL or KHL...
I can't say whether it's easier to compare goalies than skaters, but in this discussion we're comparing them nonetheless. So I'm just saying that in my opinion it's not that the better league has all the better goalies, and I think Salak's performance in the KHL, where he shines, suggests he's better than Neuvirth's middling one in the NHL.

Cyborg LeClair

Thank You Mr. Snider
Nov 18, 2011
Jurassic Park

I was talking about Jtowns post, the one directly above those arrows, i have no qualms with you preferring a goalie from outside the NHL if you really think they're better than Neuvirth, i just wish you would have notified Hextall about it.

I never played in the QMJHL, no need to feel threatened

tade

Mar 6, 2013
Brno, Czech Republic
Yes, I am saying that Neuvirth is a better goalie than Salak and the fact that Neuvirth is playing in the NHL has definitely influence on my opinion. You are saying that Salak is better than Neuvirth, alright I respect your statement but it means that we are comparing them and we are trying to say why the one is better or why not. Obviously, I am not trying to say something like "It is Neuvirth AINEC", of course not. I just think he's a bit better goalie than Salak.

And I think that saying something like "Because Rinaldo plays in NHL he's better than Radulov/Kovalchuk" is absolute nonsense and inappropriate comparison and you know that. Exactly what I said about comparing forwards and defenseman in my previous comment.

That being said, it's imo really stupid to come with such a statement about Rinaldo to Kovalchuk when we are discussing goalies of similiar qualities, although they play in different leagues, one in better (Neuvirth) and one in worse (Salak) and that's the fact. Succeed in NHL (Neuvirth succeed as a great back-up goalie still with some potential) is much harder than in KHL given the big competition in NHL. Better league has definitely better goalies, and I am not trying to say that there are not good goalies in KHL.

Last edited:

Ryker

Oct 3, 2008
Triangle, NC, USA
Yes, I am saying that Neuvirth is a better goalie than Salak and the fact that Neuvirth is playing in the NHL has definitely influence on my opinion. You are saying that Salak is better than Neuvirth, alright I respect your statement but it means that we are comparing them and we are trying to say why the one is better or why not. Obviously, I am not trying to say something like "It is Neuvirth AINEC", of course not. I just think he's a bit better goalie than Salak.
So why am I then trolling and being a contrarian if you respect my statement and you don't think it's Neuvirth AINEC?

I'm fine with you creating that poll, but I hope you know most have never seen Salak, so they're just going by the NHL > KHL logic. Or, for example, you'll get people like Curufinwe voting for Salak that both have not seen him and are voting pretty much for the option that is the opposite of my opinion (whatever that is in the particular case) :)

tade

Mar 6, 2013
Brno, Czech Republic
So why am I then trolling and being a contrarian if you respect my statement and you don't think it's Neuvirth AINEC?

I'm fine with you creating that poll, but I hope you know most have never seen Salak, so they're just going by the NHL > KHL logic. Or, for example, you'll get people like Curufinwe voting for Salak that both have not seen him and are voting pretty much for the option that is the opposite of my opinion (whatever that is in the particular case) :)

Because you have mentioned another 5-8 KHL goalies in your comment, that's why I was like "no way, you gotta be trolling". Salak is probably the best out of group you have mentioned. I have never said something like Neuvirth is about "10 times better" than Salak. In my opinion, he's just better goalie and he was one of the best option for Flyers. That's pretty much all, I think we can end this discusson, finally.

Last edited:

kudymen

Hakstok was a fascist clique hiver lickballs.gif
Jun 18, 2011
Atlanta (Decatur)
Article on Neuvy signing with the Flyers, Voracek's influence.

Source: http://hokej.idnes.cz/pribeh-wimble...es&utm_medium=richtext&utm_content=clanek-box

V uplynulé sezoně zažil roli náhradníka i jedničky, chytal v Buffalu a New York Islanders. A když mířil jako divák na tenisový Wimbledon, tuÅ¡il, že kromě diváckých zážitků bude řeÅ¡it i svou budoucnost.
Last year, he was both a starter and a backup, being a goalie for Buffalo and New York Islanders. Once he was headed to Wimbledon, he knew that outside of watching tennis, he will also have to make some decisions regarding his future.

Prvního července se totiž otevřel trh s volnými hráči - a Neuvirth mezi nabídkami zvolil tu z Philadelphie. A není náhodou, že se tak stalo poté, co se ve Wimbledonu potkal s Jakubem Voráčkem, hvězdou Flyers.
On the 1st of July, the free agent frenzy had begun - and of all the offers, Neuvirth chose the one from Philadelphia. Not accidentaly, he did so after meeting the star of the Flyers, Jakub Voracek, in Wimbledon.

„ŘeÅ¡ili jsme to jeÅ¡tě předtím, než jsem dostal nějaké nabídky. Hodně mě lákalo s ním hrát, tak jsem to podepsal,“ prozradil 27letý gólman. „Voras to hodně vychvaloval, jakou mají skvělou partu, dobrý tým. Minulý rok jim uteklo play-off o pár bodů, takže věřím, že letos to uděláme.“
"We have already talked about it before I even got any offers. I was very eager to play with him, so I just signed," says the 27yr old goalie. "Voras spoke highly about the locker room atmosphere, how good they get on with each other, how good the team is. Last year, they missed the Play-offs by only a few points, so I am sure we can make it this year."

Neuvirth přitom toužil jít do mužstva, kde by mohl plnit roli jedničky. Jenže ve Philadelphii zřejmě jako první gólman začne sezonu Steve Mason.
„Po vÅ¡ech výměnách, které se staly jeÅ¡tě před otevřením volného trhu, už moc Å¡ancí nebylo. Koukal jsem, kde je největší Å¡ance hrát, kdo tam hraje, s kým tam budu,“ popisoval faktory při svém rozhodování. „U gólmanů nikdy nevíte, jak to bude. Může přijít zranění, týmu se nemusí dařit, může se stát cokoliv.“
He signed with the Flyers despite his resolution to go to a team where he would be a starting goalie. In Philadelphia, however, Steve Mason might [yes, the article says "maybe" :)] be the starter at the beginning of the season. "After all those trades happening before the 1st of July, there were not many more chances. That§s why I had a look where there is a highest chance to play, who is playing there, whom will I accompany," Neuvirth describes the factors that affected his decision. "When talking about goalies, you never know what happens. An injury might occur, the team might simply not do that well, anything can happen."

Philadelphii jako město už zná, jelikož dva roky působil v týmu Hershey, farmě Washingtonu Capitals. „Je to asi hodinu od Philadelphie. A vždycky, když jsme měli volný den, tak jsme tam jezdili na výlet.“
He already know the city of Philadelphia, he has been playing on Washington Capitals' farm in Hershey for two years. "It is about an hour away from Philadelphia. Everytime we had a free day, we have made a trip to Philadelphia."

Do Wimbledonu vyrazil se svou sestrou Petrou, která dřív hrávala s Kristýnou Plíškovou. Sám Neuvirth má k tenisu dlouholetý vztah, do 15 let hrával závodně, v Ústí nad Labem vlastní tenisový klub, jeho otec je trenérem.
„Ve Washingtonu jsme chodili občas před sezonou hrát a byl jsem neporažený,“ usmál se. I nyní zůstává tenis jeho oblíbenou letní zábavou.
Jeho nejlepším úderem je prý servis. Obdivuje Rogera Federera. Těší se, až si půjde zahrát s Voráčkem. „Věřím, že vyhraju,“ prohlásil pobaveně.

To Wimbledon, he went with his sister Petra, who used to play with Kristýna Plíšková in the past. Neuvirth himself has liked tennis for a long time, he has played tennis til the age of 15; in Ústí nad Labem, he owns his own tennis club and his father is a tennis coach. "In Washington, we used to go play some during the pre-season and I have always stayed unbeaten," he says, smiling. Even now, tennis is his favorite summer activity. Neuvirt says service is his best tennis stroke and he admired Roger Federer. He is looking forward to playing tennis with Voráček. "I believe I will win," he says, laughing.

Párkrát už navÅ¡tívil US Open, ve Wimbledonu letos zažil premiéru. „Historie na mě dýchla. Byl jsem se podívat i v muzeu a bylo to super. Věřím, že se sem určitě zase vrátím.“
Po vyřazení obou sester Plíškových z Wimbledonu vÅ¡ak jeho letoÅ¡ní návÅ¡těva už skončila, v neděli plánuje odletět pryč. A pozvolna se chystat na boj o místo jedničky v novém klubu.

A few times, he has already visited the US Open, but this year is his first time in Wimbledon. "History is present everywhere in here. I went to have a little look at the museum too and it was great. I believe I will come back sometime."
After both Plíšková sisters have been eliminated from Wimbledon, his visit is nearly over, as he plans to leave on Sunday, and start getting prepared to fight for the starter's job in his new club.

The article makes it look like the starter job is not as certain for Mason as it seems to be but they are definitely just playing the "Czech card" so Czech readers would get excited.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Thanks for the translation. Plenty of crazier things than Neuvirth winning the starting job in Philly have happened with NHL goalies in the past, so giving the hometown readers a little hope on that front is fine.

Seems like they are best buds.

469185170-jakub-voracek-of-the-philadelphia-flyers-gettyimages.jpg
philadelphia-flyers-forward-jakub-voracek-and-free-agent-goaltender-michal-neuvirth.jpg

Last edited:

onlylordsvsmorebp

HEAVYHOCKEY ENTHUSIAST
Dec 27, 2011
VAN ISLE CANADA
Thanks for the translation. Plenty of crazier things than Neuvirth winning the starting job in Philly have happened with NHL goalies in the past, so giving the hometown readers a little hope on that front is fine.

Seems like they are best buds.

469185170-jakub-voracek-of-the-philadelphia-flyers-gettyimages.jpg
philadelphia-flyers-forward-jakub-voracek-and-free-agent-goaltender-michal-neuvirth.jpg

"oh your gonna just love it m-dog....theres cheesesteaks, the rocky statue, we got the hottest ice girls...youll love it! and no matter what...it beats the **** outta playing for the islanders! am i right? am i right?''

bennysflyers16

Jan 26, 2004
these Czech guys are all close. The picture of Frolik, Pavs and Tlusty as kids and then as Jets is pretty cool. Was hoping Jake was gonna be able to get Frolik to come cheap but knew it would not happen.

I wonder if Tlusty is a shot for cheap if he remains unsigned ?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad