Confirmed with Link: Flyers Sign Michal Neuvirth (2 Years $1.625AAV)

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
You know when there's a crazy guy on the side of the road yelling absurdities and the best thing to do is ignore them and hurry past? This is the same thing.

bb12

Aug 21, 2014
USA
The argument seems pointless. Neuvirth has gone up and down as a starter and back up. We have him as a back up. We now have a goalie that has starter POTENTIAL as our backup. Almost everyone else people have named as options or as available goalies this summer besides jones and talbot are nothing more then back ups. and if we went for either of those to add to our goalie tandem it would be costly.

For a back up goalie standpoint the only better we could have got was neimi. Pretty sure 1.5 mil or whatever for a backup who can start is a better option then old expensive niemi

Ryker

Oct 3, 2008
Triangle, NC, USA
The argument seems pointless. Neuvirth has gone up and down as a starter and back up. We have him as a back up. We now have a goalie that has starter POTENTIAL as our backup. Almost everyone else people have named as options or as available goalies this summer besides jones and talbot are nothing more then back ups. and if we went for either of those to add to our goalie tandem it would be costly.

For a back up goalie standpoint the only better we could have got was neimi. Pretty sure 1.5 mil or whatever for a backup who can start is a better option then old expensive niemi
Well, it's a discussion board and the whole thing got started because I posted my opinion and then got immediately ascribed saying things that I never said (in fact, I said the exact opposite), with the intent of that unrelated thing being to somehow discredit my opinion on the topic at hand, i.e. Neuvirth.

As for Jones and Talbot, I think the jury's still out at least on the first of the two anyway. He had a hot streak, but his total save percentage last year was nothing to write home about. Talbot would be good, but I agree it'd be costly.

CutOnDime97

Too Showman
Mar 29, 2008
You know when there's a crazy guy on the side of the road yelling absurdities and the best thing to do is ignore them and hurry past? This is the same thing.

Seriously. Just derailing threads left and right with this "I don't like this guy" BS.

Ryker

Oct 3, 2008
Triangle, NC, USA
Seriously. Just derailing threads left and right with this "I don't like this guy" BS.
So basically I shouldn't post in signings threads unless I agree with the signings? If you see my first post, I wasn't the one who derailed the thread. My post was fully on topic. The responses to it weren't.

Cyborg LeClair

Thank You Mr. Snider
Nov 18, 2011
Jurassic Park
I'd rather sign a guy with NHL experience and relatively successful experience at that

But the Flyers did sign Bobrovsky and Zepp in the past so it's not always a "meritocrisy"

SchennSational1022*

This guy would rather have Viktor Fasth than Neuvirth :laugh:

dats81

Jan 22, 2011
Carinthia, AUT
This is great. Thought Neuvirth was going to get over 2 million.

Best Flyers goalie tandem since...?

Me too. And he probably could have easily gotten that in any normal free agent period but this season it's way more goalies than open spots which played out in favour of the Flyers.

kudymen

Hakstok was a fascist clique hiver lickballs.gif
Jun 18, 2011
Atlanta (Decatur)
Hextall said Neuvirth's likely going to start more games than your average backup so they can keep Mason fresher.

Interesting. A few weeks ago, I've read an interview with Neuvirth in the Czech media, in which Neuvy seemed quite confident to go and get a starting job (quoted saying he will be ready to start in 65 games).

Hextall's plan seems like a fine trade-off, might have tipped the weighs in our favor

tade

Mar 6, 2013
Brno, Czech Republic
Yeah, I don't get it either... Fasth over Neuvirth, lol. And if he is serious about these KHL goalies then... no way he has to be trolling. :laugh:

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Interesting. A few weeks ago, I've read an interview with Neuvirth in the Czech media, in which Neuvy seemed quite confident to go and get a starting job (quoted saying he will be ready to start in 65 games).

Hextall's plan seems like a fine trade-off, might have tipped the weighs in our favor

There were no jobs to contend for.

Year after year we've seen goalies/agents screw themselves mis-reading the market. There's not enough seats at the table for everybody.

kudymen

Hakstok was a fascist clique hiver lickballs.gif
Jun 18, 2011
Atlanta (Decatur)

Year after year we've seen goalies/agents screw themselves mis-reading the market. There's not enough seats at the table for everybody.

I thought so too. In said interview, he said there were "five or six" spots where he could realistically go for a starter position, so I was quite curious what would happen on the 1st of July (because I didnt see this many spots, just like you mentioned)

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
Last 3 seasons:

Overall sv%:

Neuvirth: .915 (60 gp)
Griess: .915 (51 gp)
Ramo: .912 (74 gp)
Enroth: .908 (90 gp)
Fasth: .904 (63 gp)
Gustavsson: .904 (41 gp)
Lindback: .902 (73 gp)
Ellis: .897 (47 gp)

5v5 sv%:

Neuvirth: .923
Griess: .923
Enorth .922
Ramo: .919
Gustavsson: .915
Lindback: .909
Fasth: .909
Ellis: .904

Career:

Griess: .913 (89 gp)
Neuvirth: .912 (168 gp)
Enroth: .909 (131 gp)
Ellis: .906 (212 gp)
Ramo: .905 (122 gp)
Lindback: .905 (111 gp)
Fasth: .904 (63 gp)
Gustavsson: .901 (148 gp)

I know which one I would want... I actually thought Neuvirth was a pipe-dream as he would command too much, hence me wanting Greiss most of last year.

Good work. I liked Neuvirth best but I really thought he would command over $2M and find a place where he had a better chance competing for a starting job. But I guess with all of the goaltender trades around the draft, that type of location didn't really exist.

Enroth was my #2, but Neuvirth outplayed him last season on the same Buffalo squad, so you almost have to slot Neuvirth ahead.

Greiss' overall numbers I think are inflated by his days in Arizona, where all goalies seem to thrive in Tippett's system. I've read he is disliked and has a poor work ethic, and am happy the Flyers went elsewhere.

BackToTheBrierePatch

Nope not today.
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
Whatever. Not a fan of Neuvirth and this move. I would've preferred Hextall not to have signed him, but the deal itself is pretty reasonable and he's a decent backup. He's definitely better than Emery, but I still wish he'd go away. Oh well.

maybe they should of signed Peter Budaj instead:sarcasm:
of course the Phantoms need another goalie so he is still a possibility.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013

Biron might be the best example of that.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
In terms of quality , neuvirth is one of the better guys that can be a backup on any team. In that regard it is a success. It wil also keep mason fresher since he can play more games then your average backup.

The problem I have with it is this. This clearly makes us a better team , but is that direction we are going in. It seems like these next two years are transitions years where i was hoping to kind of just stay at the same level we are at, even regress some and hopefully gather some high end prospects and by that time our D will be ready to go and we will have assembled a team with great talent, a d core that is young mobile and cheap, and a top 10 goalie all while having a cupboard stocked of promising prospects.

. IF we had neuvirth this past year chances we finish with a much higher pick than 7. 7 more points and we could've been picking 11 overall and settling for Crouse. Neuvirth is atleast a 3 win upgrade over Emery.

I see us finishing outside of the playoffs yet again this year but because of this signing instead of the 5-10 range its going to be more like the 10-14 range.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->