Confirmed with Link: Flyers sign F Danick Martel (March 10, 2015)

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Scott Laughton 2012
Nick Cousins 2011
Colin Suellentrop 2011
Derek Mathers 2011
Eric Wellwood 2009
Zac Rinaldo 2008
Steve Downie 2005
Josh Beaulieu 2005
Gino Pisellini 2004
Jeff Carter and Mike Richards 2003

While I'm doing this here are the WHL too
Travis Sanheim 2014
Radel Fazleev 2014
Tyrell Goulbourne 2013
Taylor Leier 2012
Marcel Noebels 2011
Brendan Ranford 2010
Adam Morrison 2009
Luca Sbisa 2008
Jacob De Serres 2008
Garret Klotz 2007

The guys from the OHL look to be pretty good. From the OHL you have Laughton who is probably going to be an NHL regular next year (and arguably could be this year). Rinaldo who I know everyone hates but he's a regular NHLer, along with Downie. Cousins has a shot to make it. Wellwood is like MAB...but for an injury he could be a regular at this point. Mathers is a good. Sullentrop I don't know too much about honestly, so I'll throw him in the nothing pile, then Carter and Richards legit NHLers. That crop is at least on the same level as the Q, if not better.

The WHL doesn't impress me all that much. The biggest gets from that league the jury is still out on.

The guys from the Q you have are Couturier and Giroux as the only 100% regular NHLers. NAK and Morin look promising, but the jury is still out. Chaput also looks like he'll probably wind up as a regular, but isn't there yet. McGinn is a fringe guy. Riopel, Labreque, and Marshall are garbage. MAB had a shot but for his injuries.

I'd say OHL and QMJHL are at least equal in terms of "hits" on draft picks. The WHL doesn't look all that impressive.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I wonder where he ranks among our prospects now. Probably too soon to say since we haven't even seen him play in the AHL yet.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I'd rather see the money put into signing Bailey or O'Connor.

They can still sign one of those guys regardless of this signing. Martel will be in the minors next year so the money doesn't matter. It's the contract slots that you want to look at & as of now this is what the Flyers have coming off the books potentially (Del Zotto is the most obvious to get re-signed).

Flyers:
F Chris VandeVelde
F Ryan White

D Carlo Colavaccio
D Michael Del Zotto

G Ray Emery

Phantoms:
F Jason Akeson
F Andrew Gordon
F Andrew Johnston
F Blair Jones
F Jay Rosehill
F Zac Stortini

D Matt Konan
D Oliver Lauridsen
D Brandon Manning

G Rob Zepp

Goulbourne, Martel, Morin, & Hagg (his contract hasn't counted to our total up to this point but will no matter what next year) will occupy some of those spots.

Last edited:

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
How many contracts are we at this year because to sign the top college free agents you are probably going to have to sign them for this season.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
How many contracts are we at this year because to sign the top college free agents you are probably going to have to sign them for this season.

It looks like 45 if I counted right. The website I'm using has Noebels listed in our contracts but I'm assuming it was terminated & that is a mistake.

I counted 25 on the Flyers roster & 20 on the Phantoms/Royals rosters currently.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
It looks like 45 if I counted right. The website I'm using has Noebels listed in our contracts but I'm assuming it was terminated & that is a mistake.

I counted 25 on the Flyers roster & 20 on the Phantoms/Royals rosters currently.

Doesn't seem like enough for the Flyers. :laugh:

I'll take your word for it though.

DJyellow

Sponsor
May 9, 2002
Laval
I've seen him play about 30 times in the last 3 years and he was consistently the best player for either teams 9 times out of 10. His skating is explosive, has great determination, good hockey IQ and he's clutch.

I've always wondered what scouts didn't like about his games, aside from his obvious lack of size. Twice, I was sitting not too far from Donald Audette (Habs scout) and I would look over to see if he would write something down after another Martel amazing play.

I'll be pissed if turns into a star as he is literally playing in Habs turf.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Martel could replace Laughton or Cousins as a top 2 center with the Phantoms next season. Perfect time to sign a young scoring center prospect.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Martel could replace Laughton or Cousins as a top 2 center with the Phantoms next season. Perfect time to sign a young scoring center prospect.

He's a 46% FO guy as a 20 year old in the Q. With his size, he's destined for the wing I would imagine.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
He's a 46% FO guy as a 20 year old in the Q. With his size, he's destined for the wing I would imagine.

No reason to think that can't improve with professional coaching.

If once the puck drops, he is most effective as a Center and there isn't another player on the roster more effective, that's where he will play.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA

If once the puck drops, he is most effective as a Center and there isn't another player on the roster more effective, that's where he will play.

He's very undersized, not good at faceoffs, & not good defensively if that doesn't sound destined for the wing than I don't know what else does.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006

Everyone has a starting point. You can only coach up so much. I'm all for giving him a shot, but I doubt he sticks there. He's fast and skilled enough to play the wing just fine, I think, and its not like we are exactly loaded there.

Ghost Bear

Mar 7, 2015
I hope he can at least become a depth player for us. He being second in the Q scoring race is pretty awesome!

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
I'm intrigued by him. I think his numbers are a little inflated by that Armada powerplay, but he has skill. Pretty good shot for a little guy, good wheels, and not afraid to go to the dirty areas. If he was born a couple days later he wouldn't have even been hit with the overager tag.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Martel scored a beautiful goal last night on the rush. Toe-dragged and slammed on breaks before burying it. I can't embed video from work but it was a dandy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad