Confirmed with Link: Flyers sign F Danick Martel (March 10, 2015)

Anton Babchuk

Nov 3, 2005
Raleigh-Durham
twitter.com
Not really. He’ll be an RFA and I doubt they let him walk. If he doesn’t make the Flyers, his best chance will be to get picked up on waivers.
He could go to the KHL and try to become the next Brandon Kozun/Nigel Dawes. With the season he's having he'll get some really good offers in the KHL to start out with...far more than the 65k he's making this seaosn in the AHL.

Reactions: Rebels57

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
He could go to the KHL and try to become the next Brandon Kozun/Nigel Dawes. With the season he's having he'll get some really good offers in the KHL to start out with...far more than the 65k he's making this seaosn in the AHL.
I'm sure he'll exhaust all avenues to play in the NHL first. Not sure why he would bail before next year when he will no longer be restricted by the waiver process for the first time. I would bet on him playing at least one more year in NA before tries the oversees route. Kozun spent 5 years in the AHL/NHL before he jumped. Dawes spent 6.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Weal and Gourde had 4 AHL seasons before breaking into the NHL, Martel is in his 3rd.

Wonder if this simply reflects that smaller players who lack elite talent have to physically mature and learn the "little tricks" to handle NHL size and speed?

Briere didn't make it into the NHL as a true regular until he had 4 AHL seasons under his belt too. And then it was a few more years before he really went big in the NHL.

However, it's a good idea to start giving him some shots at the NHL level.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Hextall liked him enough to give him an ELC in the first place, so I think there's a good chance he's on the Flyers next season.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Problem for Martel, like Weal, is he has to break the top 9.
Hard to imagine him on the fourth line, NAK has the edge there, maybe MV as well and of course Leier, even if Raffl walks.
So if Lindblom and Weal are your LWs, Patrick and Vorobyev your centers, Konecny and Simmonds your RW, where does he play?

Last edited:
Reactions: hatcher

Macleish 1974

Sep 28, 2017
If Martel ever plays in the NHL.......with Morin on the ice at the same time.......those two will have a fine old time in the NHL.......it would be real interesting.....also a lot of fun to watch when those 2 are on the ice at the same time on the Phantoms......just saying.......

Reactions: Magua and Rebels57

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I'm sure he'll exhaust all avenues to play in the NHL first. Not sure why he would bail before next year when he will no longer be restricted by the waiver process for the first time. I would bet on him playing at least one more year in NA before tries the oversees route. Kozun spent 5 years in the AHL/NHL before he jumped. Dawes spent 6.

Yeah North American players usually hold out longer before making that decision. Hell some just never even go like TJ Brennan.

If he tears up the AHL this year he’s going to get a chance next year whether it’s here or somewhere else with him having to go through waivers.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Martel is a big deal in ball hockey.

https://thehockeywriters.com/flyers-prospect-international-ball-hockey/

In seven games Martel notched seven goals and five assists as Team Canada marched to the gold medal game where they lost to Team Slovakia, who won for the third consecutive year. Along with his silver medal, the 2014-15 QMJHL First All-Star Team member was named the tournament’s top scorer and best forward. But for Martel, just being able to compete for his country, and to be a part of the team was something he’s always wanted, especially considering he only started playing 5-on-5 ball hockey two years ago.

Pardubice-2017-6.jpg

phil162888

Jul 28, 2012

In seven games Martel notched seven goals and five assists as Team Canada marched to the gold medal game where they lost to Team Slovakia, who won for the third consecutive year. Along with his silver medal, the 2014-15 QMJHL First All-Star Team member was named the tournament’s top scorer and best forward. But for Martel, just being able to compete for his country, and to be a part of the team was something he’s always wanted, especially considering he only started playing 5-on-5 ball hockey two years ago.

Pardubice-2017-6.jpg

CodyTheHuman

Dec 31, 2014
California

Pardubice-2017-6.jpg

Martel likes ball hockey. Maroon liked roller hockey.
The Flyers traded away Maroon because they thought he was bad in the locker room. Maybe they think Martel is bad in the locker room too. Maybe, just maybe they don't like people who play something other than ice hockey and that's why Martel will never be a Flyer! Martel is being traded to Anaheim E5.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
What jumps out is that Martel is aware of what he needed to work on to make it to the NHL, his off puck play. I suspect that, as much as the goal scoring, is what got him the call up. For all the criticism of Gordon, somehow the prospects learn how to play two way hockey.

I think watching those goals, Martel has a good shot at making it as a scorer, only one slap shot, he relies primarily on his wrist shot, which bodes well in the NHL where it's hard to get off a slap shot without it being blocked if you're not on a breakaway. So having a good wrist shot is a plus for him.

whitstifier

Honor Black Excellence in Hockey
Mar 19, 2013
I want Martel to show that he belongs, but I also want Hakstol gone. I'm not sure if I can have both.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
What jumps out is that Martel is aware of what he needed to work on to make it to the NHL, his off puck play. I suspect that, as much as the goal scoring, is what got him the call up. For all the criticism of Gordon, somehow the prospects learn how to play two way hockey.

I think watching those goals, Martel has a good shot at making it as a scorer, only one slap shot, he relies primarily on his wrist shot, which bodes well in the NHL where it's hard to get off a slap shot without it being blocked if you're not on a breakaway. So having a good wrist shot is a plus for him.

Odd...2 weeks ago you said:
Problem for Martel, like Weal, is he has to break the top 9.
Hard to imagine him on the fourth line, NAK has the edge there, maybe MV as well and of course Leier, even if Raffl walks.
So if Lindblom and Weal are your LWs, Patrick and Vorobyev your centers, Konecny and Simmonds your RW, where does he play?

Reactions: Rebels57

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
He replaces Weal.
Though like I said elsewhere, I'd like to see a line of Martel - Laughton - Konency.
Don't know if it would work, but it would be fun to watch.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->