Confirmed with Link: Flyers sign F Danick Martel (March 10, 2015)

Coffe

Sponsor
Nov 17, 2010
Stockholm
The Philadelphia Flyers have signed 5-8, 162-lb C Danick Martel to a three-year entry-level contract, according to general manager Ron Hextall.

Martel, 20 (12/12/1994), is currently in his fourth and final season with the Blainville-Boisbriand Armada of the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League. He is currently ranked second in the league in scoring with 48 goals and 54 assists for 102 points in 63 games.

http://flyers.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=757410

EP-link: http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=129039

Has anybody seen him play?

thelos

Bunk
Jul 19, 2011
Saw him on sportsnet this week, seemed to be buzzing around. play by play guys were definitely hyping him up

ericWONT

Ron Hakstol
Feb 7, 2014
Delaware/Philly
Can't say I'm a huge fan of it.

Unless you're basically a superstar on your skates, you just get shoved around out there if you're under 5'10". Seems to almost be a liability for injuries when you're that small.

I've yet to see him play, but from what I'm hearing he sounds solid. Just have to wait and see I guess.

Lindberg

Bennyflyers16 get a life
Oct 5, 2013

Unless you're basically a superstar on your skates, you just get shoved around out there if you're under 5'10". Seems to almost be a liability for injuries when you're that small.

I've yet to see him play, but from what I'm hearing he sounds solid. Just have to wait and see I guess.

What is the down side to this? Didn't cost any assets and if he doesn't pan out so what.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
He's about the youngest "overager" you can sign too. Something to keep in mind. He's a December birthday.

YEM

Mar 7, 2010

same thang was said over and over again about Johnny Hockeyâ„¢

Random Forest

May 12, 2010
Can't see any reason to not like this move.

His stats are comparable to Sven Andrighetto. A 5'9 guy out of the Q that the Habs used a successful 3rd round pick on. Both were the same age when they were acquired (Martel is just barely ineligible for the draft). If the Habs used a 3rd on a similar prospect, I don't think there's any reason to complain about getting this guy for free.

Not that I have any clue about this guy, but it's definitely encouraging that Hextall isn't afraid to pursue talented players even despite size "concerns".

And to the guy who said small players are "injury liabilities", do you have data to back up that claim? Since I've been watching hockey, I've seen many people suggest this, but I see small players fall with injury at what appears to be the same rate as anyone else.

HighOFFHockey

Co-Founder of The Flyers Nitty Gritty
Aug 24, 2008
Philadelphia
flyersnittygritty.com
Can't see any reason to not like this move.

His stats are comparable to Sven Andrighetto. A 5'9 guy out of the Q that the Habs used a successful 3rd round pick on. Both were the same age when they were acquired (Martel is just barely ineligible for the draft). If the Habs used a 3rd on a similar prospect, I don't think there's any reason to complain about getting this guy for free.

Not that I have any clue about this guy, but it's definitely encouraging that Hextall isn't afraid to pursue talented players even despite size "concerns".

And to the guy who said small players are "injury liabilities", do you have data to back up that claim? Since I've been watching hockey, I've seen many people suggest this, but I see small players fall with injury at what appears to be the same rate as anyone else.

Yeah I think people need to realize that size isnt as cruicial to a players development as it used to be. I don't think Johnny Hockey would have made the NHL before the lockout. But now the game is so heavily speed focused that his chances are considerably better. I don't know how he's going to turn out, but there is no doubt that we are short on players with high end talent. Its a good signing on a player that could potentially be a 3rd round pick.

Good move and I think he's Akenson's replacement.

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
Yea no downside. He works out? Great. If not wouldnt be the first time.

Kid seems highly skilled though with energy.

CerpinTaxt

Apr 1, 2009
KY
It is interesting to note that he has doubled his point total from last year to this.

He is not exactly a "man" among boys out there, but does being an overage player factor here?

Last edited:

Vikke

ViktorAllvin twitter
Feb 22, 2004
Västervik, Sweden
twitter.com
Quick thoughts from QMJHL scout Jerome Berube, "Quebec Head Scout for @ScoutingService, covering QMJHL & NHL draft."

Jérôme Bérubé ‏@Jerome_Berube

.@JCentifonti small but very quick fwd. Plays with a lot of passion. One of the best PKer in the Q. Huge heart. A hell of a story.

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
It is interesting to note that he has doubled his point total from last year to this.

He is not exactly a "man" among boys out there, but does being an overage player factor here?

He is but as noted he is a very young overager. He was 4 months from being draft eligable again

tymed

Jun 11, 2007
British Columbia
I don't know a thing about the kid. It seems at very least though as a positive for the state of the Phantoms' competitiveness as we start develop a farm system again though. Was he being sought after by many other teams?

Anyone have any insight from watching him play?

Sweet goal, one hands it from before the top of the circle all the way down to the blue paint.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=67-DMQ6hiAw

Flyerss

Jun 23, 2013
He plays on the same line with Nikita Jevpalovs, Jevpalovs was invited to Flyers' training camp last summer.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad