Confirmed with Link: Flyers sign 24 year old C/RW Mike Vecchione (Union, NCAA) to 1-year ELC

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I don't understand the need to give every player a nickname. If they have one that makes sense then fine (Gostisbehererere to Ghost), but no reason to try to shoehorn one in.

whitstifier

Honor Black Excellence in Hockey
Mar 19, 2013
I don't understand the need to give every player a nickname. If they have one that makes sense then fine (Gostisbehererere to Ghost), but no reason to try to shoehorn one in.

Stinky poopface is my nickname for you

Chinatown88

Daniels QB3
Jan 17, 2012
The Universe

tumblr_mfx5sbwqPs1raa31eo1_500.gif

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
From post-game Sunday, indications from Hakstol are that Vecchione will debut Saturday vs. Columbus. (one source: Sam Carchidi's Twitter)

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
So I'm trying to remember back to the last time we signed a big name college UFA (Read?). I don't remember him playing toward the end of the year or his contract expiring at the end of the year. Is this normal? Why not sign him to a multi-year deal?

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
So I'm trying to remember back to the last time we signed a big name college UFA (Read?). I don't remember him playing toward the end of the year or his contract expiring at the end of the year. Is this normal? Why not sign him to a multi-year deal?

They did it to burn a year off his entry-level contract so he gets his RFA summer 1 year sooner and get a pay raise. Bargaining tactic by the player.

Rick Deckard

Mar 30, 2006
Germany

Due to the entry-level system they were only allowed to sign him to a one-year contract. That depends on the age a player is signed, 24 years old means one year.

With being an RFA this summer he can sign his next contract which is allowed to be a one-way contract ... alot more money.

bb12

Aug 21, 2014
USA
forget where i read it but i though they agreed to a 2 year contract extension past this season. Could be completely wrong, or read something bogus.

Ernest95

Jul 10, 2015
Philly
forget where i read it but i though they agreed to a 2 year contract extension past this season. Could be completely wrong, or read something bogus.

I believe someone listed a few pages back, that he couldn't sign more than a 1 year elc because he is 24.

BackToTheBrierePatch

Nope not today.
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire

Read was signed before the recent CBA was signed. He played for the Phantoms on a ATO (saw him score a goal in Manchester). He was also 23 when he signed the contract.

EDIT: I could be wrong about that ATO. He could of burned a year of his ELC in those 11 games he played for the Phantoms.

Rick Deckard

Mar 30, 2006
Germany
Read was signed before the recent CBA was signed. He played for the Phantoms on a ATO (saw him score a goal in Manchester). He was also 23 when he signed the contract.

EDIT: I could be wrong about that ATO. He could of burned a year of his ELC in those 11 games he played for the Phantoms.

It was an ATO with the Phantoms, Holmgren signed everyone to ATOs and an ELC starting the following season.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
As a highly in-demand college free agent, Vecchione was able to insist that whatever team signed him burn the first year of his ELC by putting him on the NHL roster.

As his signing age (age on 9/15) is 24 his ELC is only one year long, and with it getting used up on the last five games of 16-17 it means he's another RFA to add to the list of guys Hextall has to sign. I'm leaving Lube and Pettersson off cause it seems like their time here is done.

Ghost
Lyon
Vecchione
Cousins
Laughton
Leier
Bardreau
Stolarz

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad