Confirmed with Link: Flyers sign 24 year old C/RW Mike Vecchione (Union, NCAA) to 1-year ELC

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
As a highly in-demand college free agent, Vecchione was able to insist that whatever team signed him burn the first year of his ELC by putting him on the NHL roster.

As his signing age (age on 9/15) is 24 his ELC is only one year long, and with it getting used up on the last five games of 16-17 it means he's another RFA to add to the list of guys Hextall has to sign. I'm leaving Lube and Pettersson off cause it seems like their time here is done.

Ghost
Lyon
Vecchione
Cousins
Laughton
Leier
Bardreau
Stolarz

Ghost/Lyon/Vecc/Stolarz are almost locks to be back.

Cousins/Laughton are in that next tier

Leier/Bardreau might not be.

I'm guessing...

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Ghost/Lyon/Vecc/Stolarz are almost locks to be back.

Cousins/Laughton are in that next tier

Leier/Bardreau might not be.

I'm guessing...

Bardreau will get qualified and is waiver-exempt till 18-19, so he'll be in the Flyers organization.

One of Laughton, Leier or Cousins may well end up elsewhere due to waivers.

tade

Mar 6, 2013
Brno, Czech Republic
How did he look in his 1st game? I fell asleep. Thanks.

He's comparable to players like Leier or Bardreau, right? Do you see top 6 potential? I don't think so. I see more of bottom 6 player if he stick in the NHL.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
How did he look in his 1st game? I fell asleep. Thanks.

He's comparable to players like Leier or Bardreau, right? Do you see top 6 potential? I don't think so. I see more of bottom 6 player if he stick in the NHL.

He's speedy for sure. I think won most of his FO's. I saw him do some real good back checking too. One point chased down somebody and took the puck away.

tade

Mar 6, 2013
Brno, Czech Republic
He's speedy for sure. I think won most of his FO's. I saw him do some real good back checking too. One point chased down somebody and took the puck away.

Thanks, that looks good, exactly what we need, speedy center, who is good on face-offs and responsible defensively, he could be 4th line center next season, if everything goes well for him, although the competition should be very tough.

A lot of players will battle for bottom 6 roles... Leier, Bardreau, Vecchione, Laughton, possibly Cousins, or Weal, and then Read, Raffl, Weise, Bellemare, they have basically 'given' roles on the team next season, if nothing major happens and if neither one is traded. I expect one of them to be traded or taken in the ED.

Alex91

Sep 12, 2014
He wasn't given the opportunity that game to look good or bad outside of face offs. Speed and faceoff are def 4th line skills, but it depends who he is placed between. On the 4th line, your only good as your weakest link.
Laughton/Read-Vecchione-Raffl is the best chance for a decent 4th next year. Once you add PEB you bring down everyone's offensive game.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
The fact they finally moved PEB to wing is encouraging. I really think he'll do better without having to be the most defensively responsible guy on his line. He was going to play 4RW last night till Weal got sick.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
He only played 8 minutes since our coach thought it was a meaningful game, but he had some nice moments in there.

-5/7 on faceoffs
-Nearly scored on a rebound off of a Colin McDonald shot that hit the post. The puck just -alluded his stick.
-Had a nice backcheck to strip the puck and send it the other way.
-Had a nice hard wrist shot on goal coming down the RW.

Not bad for 8 minutes of action with VandeVelde as your LW.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Certainly nothing to complain about with his performance last night. Tyrannosaurus Vecchs off to a solid start!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad