Confirmed with Link: Flyers sign 24 year old C/RW Mike Vecchione (Union, NCAA) to 1-year ELC

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
He would have been an RFA only if he had played 66 games, which was unlikely to happen. Lyubimov and Laughton and then Leier were ahead of him on the depth chart for the first half of this season because after a year of barely playing hockey me needed a lot of AHL minutes to get his mojo back.

Saying that Lindblom won't see the NHL next year is ****ing ridiculous, even for you. :laugh:

I'm not looking to stray too far here from the actual topic, which is Vecchione and whether or not he makes the team, but like with Weal last year and Lindblom next year, we just won't know until next year, and you can't make assumptions given the short history of this coach. Weal may not have played 66 games, but maybe he could have and it would have been to the benefit of the long-term vision of the organization. I wouldn't say it was 'unlikely' had he made the team since Konecny is up to 65 right now (would be more without injuries) and Vandevelde is up to 77. He didn't look slow or sluggish in pre-season to assume that he needed that AHL run, we know that spot was down to Weal and Konecny (for a job that was in the top 9 group of forwards), if Weal won it, the fact he only played 14 games last year would have never entered the equation.

As for Lindblom, I'm just not convinced that Hakstol will let him do it. He has to be going into Hextall's office every day begging that Vandevelde is brought back. I think Lindblom should be fine, there's nothing he needs to sell me on. Hopefully some of this driftwood can be cleared out, and then he'll still have to have a really good pre-season and it's not a concern. Not truly difficult reasoning, you're smart enough to understand a difference in opinion without resorting to insults. Unless you're not aware of the spots Hakstol puts Vandevelde and Bellemare in at the expense of better players. I think you are, I think others think you do too, maybe I'm wrong.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I'm not looking to stray too far here from the actual topic, which is Vecchione and whether or not he makes the team, but like with Weal last year and Lindblom next year, we just won't know until next year, and you can't make assumptions given the short history of this coach. Weal may not have played 66 games, but maybe he could have and it would have been to the benefit of the long-term vision of the organization. I wouldn't say it was 'unlikely' had he made the team since Konecny is up to 65 right now (would be more without injuries) and Vandevelde is up to 77. He didn't look slow or sluggish in pre-season to assume that he needed that AHL run, we know that spot was down to Weal and Konecny (for a job that was in the top 9 group of forwards), if Weal won it, the fact he only played 14 games last year would have never entered the equation.

As for Lindblom, I'm just not convinced that Hakstol will let him do it. He has to be going into Hextall's office every day begging that Vandevelde is brought back. I think Lindblom should be fine, there's nothing he needs to sell me on. Hopefully some of this driftwood can be cleared out, and then he'll still have to have a really good pre-season and it's not a concern. Not truly difficult reasoning, you're smart enough to understand a difference in opinion without resorting to insults. Unless you're not aware of the spots Hakstol puts Vandevelde and Bellemare in at the expense of better players. I think you are, I think others think you do too, maybe I'm wrong.

Hextall needs to fire Hakstol. Problem solved.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
Having Weal play 66 games would inarguably be a better situation. Even if he fell on his face, at least you would be making a more informed decision. Given his pending UFA status, that has immediate tangible value.

I freely admit I could be blindly optimistic here, but I think the org sees Lindblom on a different level than it did Weal coming into the year or Laughton in either situation. We do have to adjust for roles, as GKJ said, but in the end, Konecny did make this team as a 19 year old when he was no lock.

Given the number crunch, if just one of Lindblom or Weal makes the team, that's going to push Raffl or Weise (or Read, expansion draft permitting) down to the 4th line. Given the contracts he handed out to those players, we have a pretty darn good basis for thinking he wouldn't give Hakstol the option to use VdV in place of them, no?

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Usage could be a concern given how Konecny has been handled. But, even if the points don't translate for Lindblom, his defensive play could give him a long Hakstol leash.

How Konency was handled says nothing to how Lindblom will be handled. Konency is very undersized, so they wanted to limit his minutes, and that also limited how you could use him and on which line combinations.

Lindblom is older, more experienced (two years in the SHL, not juniors), much bigger, can play both sides, and can play any role.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013

You keep saying it was between Weal and Konecny for a spot but that's not the case. Weal was also competing with Cousins and Lyubimov for a roster spot and couldn't beat them out, either, and no one but Carchidi was worried about him going on waivers because he didn't do enough in preseason to be worth claiming by any other team.

The organization has benefitted from allowing Weal to find his game at the AHL level and are not going to have a problem keeping him here if they want to do so. They can sign him and protect him or sign him after the ED.

Hockeypete49

How you like me now!
Mar 22, 2009
South Jersey
I just don't think Laughton is in the plans anymore. He is not the same player we drafted. Those injuries and concussions really took there toll on him.

Cousins is a nice pest. I like him, but he probably doesn't quite bring enough to contribute to a real contender.

Of the 3, Leier is the one I'd like to keep. He's versatile, and someone who can replace VV on the PK. He's one of those good at everything, great at nothing types. Leier has a low ceiling, but I think he's worth a roster spot over the other 2.

Scott is playing very well down in LV. Of the three he is the only one I keep. I think he would be a nice fit on the 4th line as a wing. Leier is to small and always hurt. Nick I like but it is not the end of the world if he is moved. And for that matter Read,VV, Raffl,Lyubimov all can be added to the list.

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
I'm not an expert in this but I thought that even if a player is a UFA like weal they still count as your teams selection because the draft is in June? But weal likely won't get selected because of the cap on the number of RFA and UFA they can take or something like that? I could be completely wrong.

Got like this signing. He seems like an immdiate upgrade to the bottom 6. This team will surely make the playoffs next year.

Boom- just talked about three different thread topics on one post!

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
I'm not an expert in this but I thought that even if a player is a UFA like weal they still count as your teams selection because the draft is in June? But weal likely won't get selected because of the cap on the number of RFA and UFA they can take or something like that? I could be completely wrong.

Got like this signing. He seems like an immdiate upgrade to the bottom 6. This team will surely make the playoffs next year.

Boom- just talked about three different thread topics on one post!

Kind of. They can negotiate with upcoming UFAs in the expansion window and if they sign them they count as the pick from that team.

But they can only sign/draft 10 RFA/UFAs maximum.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
You keep saying it was between Weal and Konecny for a spot but that's not the case. Weal was also competing with Cousins and Lyubimov for a roster spot and couldn't beat them out, either, and no one but Carchidi was worried about him going on waivers because he didn't do enough in preseason to be worth claiming by any other team.

The organization has benefitted from allowing Weal to find his game at the AHL level and are not going to have a problem keeping him here if they want to do so. They can sign him and protect him or sign him after the ED.

Cousins and Lyubimov are better than Chris Vandevelde, who is the one who should not have made the team. If you're not including Vandevelde in any conversation of who should or should not be on the team, this year, now, or next year, you're sort of missing the core issue of this argument when it relates to Hakstol and why I'm skeptical Lindblom or Vecchione make the team next year. Cousins and Lyubimov were not playing the role they wanted Weal to play, and in Lyubimov's case he filled the role you expected from a player like him of being an extra forward.

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
Kind of. They can negotiate with upcoming UFAs in the expansion window and if they sign them they count as the pick from that team.

But they can only sign/draft 10 RFA/UFAs maximum.

Play thanks. Yea makes sense they should have a contract in hand first.

I agree that you have to give a player like this playing time this year because that's the minimum to get in the door. As a 24 year old I think it's a wise move on his end. It doesn't mean that he is NHL ready on some teams but he should be on most otherwise why go after him. So I think both sides are right.

I like that hexy plans to use him at center. Belle may be a great locker room guy but he can no longer anchor a bottom six line. The contract extension is puzzling considering we have so many guys that could fill a fourth line role better and cheaper. The center spot is harder to come by but now that is covered so it looks like VDV is gone. Belle to the wing. Those a two big pluses. The additions means something has to give. Hopefully we resign weal. Trade away several players.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Carchidi says Vecchione moved in with Ghost.

Cousins and Lyubimov are better than Chris Vandevelde, who is the one who should not have made the team. If you're not including Vandevelde in any conversation of who should or should not be on the team, this year, now, or next year, you're sort of missing the core issue of this argument when it relates to Hakstol and why I'm skeptical Lindblom or Vecchione make the team next year. Cousins and Lyubimov were not playing the role they wanted Weal to play, and in Lyubimov's case he filled the role you expected from a player like him of being an extra forward.

Cousins absolutely played the same role as Weal has.

VdV doesn't have a contract for next year. It would be like saying a year ago that Konecny won't make the team because of Ryan White or Sam Gagner.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Don't be so quick to trade guys, unless you can't fit them on either the Flyers or AHL roster due to options, etc.
Flyers want to carry 14 forwards, why, uh, Raffl, Cousins, Read? Players get injured.
No sure bets, training camp will decide:
MV might start in LHV
Who will go in the ED? Cousins, Raffl, Weise?
Will Weal be resigned?
Will Laughton grab a spot?
Leier, Ak, camp invite, summer FA signing?

I see this all the time, (modded) want to set the roster in June, when it'll set itself in September (risers, fallers, injuries), and reset itself by January.

MV provides another option for next season and the year after, by which time he'll have either solidified a spot on the roster or will be gone because 27 year old marginal prospects are called "AHL starters." There will be a flood of forward prospects arriving by 2019-20, and anyone of the current crop who hasn't proved himself will be pushed out of contention.

Last edited by a moderator:

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Carchidi says Vecchione moved in with Ghost.

Cousins absolutely played the same role as Weal has.

VdV doesn't have a contract for next year. It would be like saying a year ago that Konecny won't make the team because of Ryan White or Sam Gagner.

He might not, but I sense Hakstol will be going to bat for Vandevelde way harder than he would for White or Gagner. Both of whom have been better for leaving.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Wait weren't you all for trading half the team a week or two ago?

I'm for trading one or two of the top nine to get three lines that fit together better. That is, value for value, say Voracek for a top young center plus picks. Get a big fast center and move G to wing. Or something like that.

At the back end, depth is far more important than the marginal draft picks (doubt Hextall could get a 3rd rounder for these guys, and you can always trade someone in camp for a 5-6th rounder).

We need a solid 4th line that can play good defense and pot 20-30 goals. Not average defense and 10-15 goals, which is what we have now.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
I see this all the time, (modded) want to set the roster in June, when it'll set itself in September (risers, fallers, injuries), and reset itself by January.

The word you are looking for is "fans" - fans like to speculate on the future of the team, talk about players, look ahead to what may come. That's what fans do, in particular on a fan discussion forum. Nobody thinks we actually decide anything.

Oh, and also: BAD LINES MATTER

Last edited by a moderator:

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/flyers/417865303.html

Vecchione, who grew up near Boston, says it was “like déjà vu†to be reunited with defenseman Shayne Gostisbehere, his teammate at Union.

“He was at Union a couple years before me and he kind of took me under his wing there and showed me the ropes, and it’s been the same thing here the last 24 hours,†he said. “It’s pretty surreal.â€

Vecchione has moved in with Gostisbehere for the time being.

“He has a spare bedroom and he welcomed me with open arms so I don’t have to stay in a hotel by myself,†Vecchione said.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad