Confirmed with Link: Flyers Re-Sign Brian Elliott To One Year Deal $1.5M AAV for 20/21 season (bumped thread)

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Don't we need to expose a goalie in the expansion draft? So wouldn't it have made more sense to sign him for two years and then buy him out if (when) he's not taken?

Obviously we won't be exposing Hart, so who are we exposing now? Lyon's contract ends at the same time as Elliotts too.
I think Sandstrom as an RFA would meet the minimum requirement.

Reactions: Ginger Papa

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Don't we need to expose a goalie in the expansion draft? So wouldn't it have made more sense to sign him for two years and then buy him out if (when) he's not taken?

Obviously we won't be exposing Hart, so who are we exposing now? Lyon's contract ends at the same time as Elliotts too.
just in case you have Dead blocked...lol....Sandrstom qualifies as someone we will expose

Adam Warlock

Apr 15, 2006
Also, as Alex says, leaves $3.87M cap space to sign Myers and Patrick without necessarily getting rid of anyone.

I really feel like thats going to happen. They resign Patrick and Myers, make their picks...and thats it. No big moves. Losing Grant/Thompson/Braun...adding Patrick and some youth and the younger players taking a step forward should be enough.

That leaves them with 9 NHL dmen and about 15-16 forwards. Thats pretty exciting considering all of those players are better than some of tbe trash thats been in our line up the last 10 years. Really should be able to assemble a strong roster from that.

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
I think it's more speculation than rumours, they don't have the cap room, they have a loaded roster, so it would be pretty drastic to tear things up just to add a "name."
Agreed, there would have to be multiple pieces involved and I'm not sure I want to part with the prospects we'd need to throw in to lose some contracts.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
As @deadhead said, Sandstrom as an RFA can be exposed, which is actually a godsend because I thought they'd have to sign Elliott (or go UFA hunting in a horrid backup goalie market) for 2 years.

1 more year of Elliott is tolerable.

I think Sandstrom as an RFA would meet the minimum requirement.

just in case you have Dead blocked...lol....Sandrstom qualifies as someone we will expose

Completely forgot he even exists.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Neither have Arb rights so if they can wait till camp starts to sign them if necessary.
And Patrick is not eligible for an OS, not sure on Myers, so Patrick and his camp has NO leverage here after earning a salary all year all while not playing any games. So if Mgt wants to, just offer him a QO of $874,125 and let's see if he plays.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
The really worrying thing is that his SV% went down even as the team defense improved, especially on the PK.

From memory he had a really high 5on5 SV% in 17-18 but was only .909 overall because of the horrendous Hak/Lappy PK.

I think he is at this stage a below average back-up.

But tbh the only likely UFA upgrades were:

Khudobin
Greiss
Talbot
Miller

and Miller is staying on West coast. And the other three will cost like $2.5m at very least.

And the rest of the crop for back-ups are at Elliots level or worse.

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
Elliott wasn’t quite as bad as Hagg in 19-20, but he cost the team more points since goalie is a much more important position than #6 dman.

A backup who plays 30 games with a sub .900 SV% can cost a team a playoff spot.

You get what you pay for ::shrug::

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
I’d prefer Hank even if he was no better than Elliott. Just for the fun of winding up Rags fans.

Hank was my primary target, but I'd imagine it just wouldn't be worth the money to sign him (and I think he may have a shot at a starter job somewhere...only a few teams, but still)

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
My team simulation (I was too lazy to sign onto capfriendly so I'm not publishing it) with no trades, Patrick at $1.1 million (1 year; performance bonuses for games played, etc., on top), and Myers at a $2.3 million bridge (2 years) allows Fletcher to be cap compliant at a 22-man roster. I also have Frost and Sandin on the roster.

Total remaining cap is only $379,440, but to me it's important that Fletcher doesn't "have" to make a move and therefore doesn't need to accept a poor deal for cap purposes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad