Confirmed with Link: Flyers Re-Sign Brian Elliott To One Year Deal $1.5M AAV for 20/21 season (bumped thread)

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I'd have to find the post, but I did a bit of a dive into this. Average for starters is down to .910 these days (was .920 earlier in the decade), with a corresponding drop to .900 for backups.

The concern with Elliott is that while he graded out to pretty much on average, that was because he had quite a strong start, which degraded into truly terrible and below-average play to finish the season.

So that is worrying. Guy can play when he's fresh to start the season but grinds down and he has only gotten older. Might have to go with him for the first half and rely on Lyon for the second.

Honestly I don't even remember the end of the regular season. He looked fine in his round robin and playoff start though after the break so you're probably onto something there.

Reactions: Ginger Papa

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Elliott will be about the 50-55th highest paid goalie entering next year.

And in 14 out of 27 games he had a .917 SV% or better...so good to great goaltending.

At 1.5 million, that's a good ROI.

The numbers don't necessarily tell the whole story with him, though. He has a tendency to give up bad goals - and sometimes VERY bad goals - at bad times. I don't give a damn about this signing, but that's something to consider.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
The numbers don't necessarily tell the whole story with him, though. He has a tendency to give up bad goals - and sometimes VERY bad goals - at bad times. I don't give a damn about this signing, but that's something to consider.

But he also doesn't get flustered when he does so, a number of games he'd give up a bad goal or two, settle down, and let the team get back into the game.

Given the Flyers will be top 5 or so in goals scored next year, top 8 this year, if you spot him against weaker teams I think he should be fine.

At worst, Lyon is probably capable of being a mediocre backup as well, he's been a solid AHL goalie who has had some fine streaks, but gets dinged a little too much.

Come the playoffs, if Hart gets injured, no conceivable backup other than one of our prospects when they're ready is going to save our bacon.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
No other feasible UFA options. Elliott is content with being a backup. The better UFA goalies are going to want more money & at least close to an equal timeshare.

flyerslducks

Feb 15, 2017
this is definitely his last year until we get another backup for a few years or have one of the young kids take the reigns. Not much cap and I don;t want to pay anyone over 2 million for an old, slightly better goalie. I am looking for hart to get to 50+ starts and have elliot be around the 30 mark. Nothing more than that please and we good

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
At least it’s not Neuvirth.

ihzc3ts.jpg

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
These words contradict each other. ;)

Apologies for not using the Striiker Diictiionary. ;) Seriously, though, Fletcher has not generally been a trade winner so that pessimism is another matter. One can only hope! Well, we can hope that he makes it a moot point by holding onto Gostisbehere.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad