Flyers Off-Season Discussion IV - NHL 17 Stanley Cup winners!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
At the same time, we're all hoping that Panotch isn't wrong just this once

Oh yeah for sure.

But think about it..

Heres a guy that desperately wants to be an insider and he writes an article revealing a supposed secret of the organization he wants to be an insider of. If it were true, it would just shoot himself in the foot and weaken his position as a so-called insider, as im sure the last thing Hextall wants Provorov thinking heading into camp is that he is a lock to make the team. Panotch excercises no logic. Hes dumb.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Panotch & the rest of the circus has a tendency to pass off opinions as facts. I put zero stock in anything he says. I more so posted as I thought it was funny. I can't imagine Hextall being too happy with that if he found out about it.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Oh yeah for sure.

But think about it..

Heres a guy that desperately wants to be an insider and he writes an article revealing a supposed secret of the organization he wants to be an insider of. If it were true, it would just shoot himself in the foot and weaken his position as a so-called insider, as im sure the last thing Hextall wants Provorov thinking heading into camp is that he is a lock to make the team. Panotch excercises no logic. Hes dumb.

He strikes me as someone who wants to be a Steelers insider - I doubt he cares very much about the Flyers at this point (if he ever did).

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
I saw the same thing and was like "Man I hope he ACTUALLY got some information this time"

boxcar65

Sep 24, 2007
Richmond, VA
So camp finally starts this morning. Not too much of a thrilling offseason for the Flyboys, but there are some interesting camp story lines. Of course I like to focus on the D, and I fully expect my guy to be brimming with confidence after a solid season and a nice new contract.

Streit, Ghost, and Gudas won't be available at the start of camp, so the D combinations will be fun to watch. Provo is definitely in the mix, and I still hope they can move either Schultz, Streit, or AMac before the season starts.

Pencil in ManDog on the third pairing to start the season. Book it, Danno.

Alex91

Sep 12, 2014
So camp finally starts this morning. Not too much of a thrilling offseason for the Flyboys, but there are some interesting camp story lines. Of course I like to focus on the D, and I fully expect my guy to be brimming with confidence after a solid season and a nice new contract.

Streit, Ghost, and Gudas won't be available at the start of camp, so the D combinations will be fun to watch. Provo is definitely in the mix, and I still hope they can move either Schultz, Streit, or AMac before the season starts.

Pencil in ManDog on the third pairing to start the season. Book it, Danno.

-You can book that Manning gets just more then 14 games prior to tdl
-No team will trade for Amac willingly.
-Schultz is a perfect 7th man. One year left at a cheap deal is worth more then a late pick to start the season
-I am sure Hex has got a few calls on streit, but his stock can only raise with a good start of the year.

boxcar65

Sep 24, 2007
Richmond, VA
Alex, I definitely see your points. My philosophy is you play the best 6 guys based on performance in camp. Don't worry about contracts, etc. Give it to them on merit. If Manning gets outplayed, so be it, but if he looks better than Schultz or AMac, he should get the spot.

We know things always change once the season starts, but let's play the best 6 who fit Hak's system and truly deserve the spots. Everything will shake out regarding injuries, trades, etc.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Alex, I definitely see your points. My philosophy is you play the best 6 guys based on performance in camp. Don't worry about contracts, etc. Give it to them on merit. If Manning gets outplayed, so be it, but if he looks better than Schultz or AMac, he should get the spot.

We know things always change once the season starts, but let's play the best 6 who fit Hak's system and truly deserve the spots. Everything will shake out regarding injuries, trades, etc.

This contradicts everything you've said about Meatshield. If the best are going to play then he sure as **** won't (other than the exact number of games required to be eligible for the expansion draft).

NYCFlyer

Nov 23, 2002
NYC
I think the only thing Hextall cares about this year is doing what is ever best for development of the handful of young prospects he hopes will move the needle in the future. Provorov, Konecny, Sanheim and maybe Morin. If he thinks those guys development will be significantly better in the NHL this year then others will be moved. I would also add that i would be surprised that Hextall would think its best long term to have three rookie defensemen in our lineup this year.

Jack de la Hoya

Jun 30, 2011
Texas
MDZ-Gudas
AMac-Ghost
Provorov-Streit
Schultz
Meatshield

That's my preference, but I can't see them carrying that many D.

Even though he's better than Schult or Meatshield, I think it's possible that AMac starts in the AHL if Provorov makes the team.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
I'm going to just shoot a guess and say Provorov and Konecny are in juniors.

Morin will probably be called up if an injury happens and it most likely will. Sanheim will not be called up in almost any fashion. Even if we lose Ghost for a while, you got a guy like Brennan that can slide in for an "offensive" role.

Cyborg LeClair

Thank You Mr. Snider
Nov 18, 2011
Jurassic Park

Morin will probably be called up if an injury happens and it most likely will. Sanheim will not be called up in almost any fashion. Even if we lose Ghost for a while, you got a guy like Brennan that can slide in for an "offensive" role.

I think there's a 30% chance of this scenario, 45% chance that its this scenario but with Provorov making the team, 15% chance it's the same but with both Konecny and Provorov on the team, 5% its Morin over Provorov, and 5% chance that Morin, Provorov, Konecny all make the team

boxcar65

Sep 24, 2007
Richmond, VA
Even though he's better than Schult or Meatshield, I think it's possible that AMac starts in the AHL if Provorov makes the team.

Highly debatable...I've said it before, and I will say it again. AMac does not fit Hak's system. He wants D that are going to challenge when players enter the zone, not back up into the goalie. Say what you will about Manning, but he does a better job in this phase of the game than AMac.

Alex91

Sep 12, 2014
MDZ-Gudas
AMac-Ghost
Provorov-Streit
Schultz
Meatshield

That's my preference, but I can't see them carrying that many D.

I think they could carry 8.
Gudas may not be ready yet. Streit will need maintenance days, Amac still needs to prove he is a 82 game player, and provorov is a rookie. And Schultz isnt a 82 gamer anymore. Plus Mannings or manning MUST get to the 70/40 rule.

I really hope they dont send Provorov back to minors because it just delays things by a year. Bring Provy this year, Morin as a call up if needed. Next year have Morin and Provorov as starters. Then bring Sanhiem up mid/late season.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
Well, with camp starting, we won't have to guess or hope, we'll have legit reports on how these kids look.

Psuhockey

Nov 17, 2010

I agree. I think Hextall is going to use this season to rid himself of bad contracts and setup for the expansion draft. Unless someone is trading for Streit to start the year which I don't see happening, I think Provorov gets sent back. Gudas, Del Zotto, and Ghost are going to be in the lineup. Schultz and Manning are going to shuffle thru as the 6th defenseman IMO with Manning getting his required 14 games for the expansion draft. Streits going to play unless he is traded so that leaves one spot and I think that goes to MacDonald.

I think Hextall would love to rid himself of MacDonald either thru trade or praying he is gone in the expansion draft. If he sends him down even for half the season, he runs the risk of him not getting the 40+ games he needs to be expansion draft eligible. Also another demotion to the AHL could kill his trade value even more. I think he would rather hope MacDonald has a great year and with many kids in the AHL for call ups, he can push Provorov's development back another season. Hopefully I am wrong.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Highly debatable...I've said it before, and I will say it again. AMac does not fit Hak's system. He wants D that are going to challenge when players enter the zone, not back up into the goalie. Say what you will about Manning, but he does a better job in this phase of the game than AMac.

AMac played 28 games and had 8 points and +10. That would pace to a:

23 point season and a +29.

Nothing wrong with those stats at all.

Hell, Manning played 56 games....double AMac and had 7 points and +2.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
I agree. I think Hextall is going to use this season to rid himself of bad contracts and setup for the expansion draft. Unless someone is trading for Streit to start the year which I don't see happening, I think Provorov gets sent back. Gudas, Del Zotto, and Ghost are going to be in the lineup. Schultz and Manning are going to shuffle thru as the 6th defenseman IMO with Manning getting his required 14 games for the expansion draft. Streits going to play unless he is traded so that leaves one spot and I think that goes to MacDonald.

I think Hextall would love to rid himself of MacDonald either thru trade or praying he is gone in the expansion draft. If he sends him down even for half the season, he runs the risk of him not getting the 40+ games he needs to be expansion draft eligible. Also another demotion to the AHL could kill his trade value even more. I think he would rather hope MacDonald has a great year and with many kids in the AHL for call ups, he can push Provorov's development back another season. Hopefully I am wrong.

If MacDonald doesn't meet the requirement he can still be exposed. You just have to have 1 DMAN that meets those requirements, he can still be selected, LV doesn't have to pick a guy that fell into those rules.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Yeah, everyone who isn't a first- and second-year professionals, and is not protected, is eligible for the expansion draft.

Player Exposure Requirements
* All Clubs must meet the following minimum requirements regarding players exposed for selection in the Expansion Draft:

i) One defenseman who is a) under contract in 2017-18 and b) played in 40 or more NHL games the prior season OR played in 70 or more NHL games in the prior two seasons.

ii) Two forwards who are a) under contract in 2017-18 and b) played in 40 or more NHL games the prior season OR played in 70 or more NHL games in the prior two seasons.

iii) One goaltender who is under contract in 2017-18 or will be a restricted free agent at the expiration of his current contract immediately prior to 2017-18. If the club elects to make a restricted free agent goaltender available in order to meet this requirement, that goaltender must have received his qualifying offer prior to the submission of the club's protected list.

But there's no way Vegas will take MacDonald. They will take one of the two decent forwards Hextall can't protect from Weise/Raffl/Laughton/Cousins.

Last edited:

Psuhockey

Nov 17, 2010
If MacDonald doesn't meet the requirement he can still be exposed. You just have to have 1 DMAN that meets those requirements, he can still be selected, LV doesn't have to pick a guy that fell into those rules.

Expansion draft aside, as a poster said it is doubtful he would be selected anyway, another demotion is going to make even harder to move him. If Hextall could get a decent season out MacDonald this year and probably next year, he should be able to move him with only two years left on his contract. Demote him and the Flyers would be look at another 3 seasons of 4 million in dead space until his contract runs out while he plays in the AHL. Or Hextall will have to package him with a good asset like Florida did this offseason.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
Expansion draft aside, as a poster said it is doubtful he would be selected anyway, another demotion is going to make even harder to move him. If Hextall could get a decent season out MacDonald this year and probably next year, he should be able to move him with only two years left on his contract. Demote him and the Flyers would be look at another 3 seasons of 4 million in dead space until his contract runs out while he plays in the AHL. Or Hextall will have to package him with a good asset like Florida did this offseason.

I understand what you mean, but in the end, you play the best guys to win games. Hextall can't be trying to prop up MacDonald in hopes somebody takes him, while he ****s up games.

Alex91

Sep 12, 2014

Amac is the worst protector of the zone i have ever seen. That being said you have to look at complementary players. If you go MDZ-Gudas, then who you going to put Ghost with? Ghost-Manning doesnt work as Manning gets running all over the place and leaves Ghost high and dry to often, Ghost Streit is to weak defensively, and Schultz cant handle the minutes. Ghost game may of slipped a little with Amac near the end but how much of that was injury?. Amac stays home enough and has a decent enough relay pass to be a good fit with Ghost till someone else comes along.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad