Flyers Off-Season Discussion IV - NHL 17 Stanley Cup winners!

Status
Not open for further replies.

tade

Mar 6, 2013
Brno, Czech Republic

There are still average top 6 players left... so if we make a move (Read/Streit) we can still add someone on short-term deal. But if not, I don't mind it, I like Streit on 3rd pairing, if he stays healthy, he can still surprise us, and could be very solid player for his last season with us.

Broad Street Elite

Nov 9, 2011
Moving Streit seems ideal and could be possible now that the bonus was paid on July 1, but at this stage (other than Vesey who probably gets an identical offer from 30 teams) who are we adding that makes enough of a difference on our second line where we need to move Streit to do it.

Broad Street Elite

Nov 9, 2011
Next year was always the first year to get a real free agent IMO. Need Streit off the books and possibly Read. Probably a longshot on MacD

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I don't think these moves today made our lineup any less attractive to try & woo Vesey. Not getting my hopes up but we still could easily fit him in our top 9 & give him PP time.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Nothing was done today to make us any more attractive to Vesey. Nor should it have been.

FadeToBlack

Jul 1, 2012
What would Vesey want? Here, if he performs well, he'll get a chance to play with G and V... that's more than most teams can say, talent-wise. If he doesn't make the top line, he's still with Coots and Simmonds, in all likelihood. That's still solid. He'll definitely get at least PP2 time. Throw in a young up-and-coming core, he's got as good a chance to make himself a part of the core and get paid as anybody does. Not to mention the east coast travel schedule, and only a 5 hour drive to his hometown. Who's closer? BOS, NYR, NYI, MTL? That's it. Boston is not that great, NYR are solid, NYI just gave a 31 year old second/third liner 7 years and $35m or something, and MTL is a dumpster fire.

C'mon Vesey.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Vesey's going to want more than he really should get being a UFA, based on bonuses. It would be nice to add him, but Hextall is under this platinum rule that players entering the NHL need to force him to make a decision on other NHL players and I just don't see Vesey as someone who will want to have to do that if other teams aren't going to make him.

FadeToBlack

Jul 1, 2012
Vesey's going to want more than he really should get being a UFA, based on bonuses. It would be nice to add him, but Hextall is under this platinum rule that players entering the NHL need to force him to make a decision on other NHL players and I just don't see Vesey as someone who will want to have to do that if other teams aren't going to make him.

Our cap situation should be fairly solid over the next three years, I don't see any problem with offering him something decent, just my two cents. He's a chance to get what should be a great young asset while giving up no resources... git er done.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I haven't seen Kyle Brodziak show up anywhere. Wouldn't mind bringing him in, too.

Jack de la Hoya

Jun 30, 2011
Texas
If we are talking about top-six forwards, which of those $6m players were really worth adding (at cost and term) though?

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Ladd, Eriksson and Nielsen got such long terms... I'd be worried about all of them.

Jack de la Hoya

Jun 30, 2011
Texas
Boedker signed for 4 x $4MM, rather have him or Matt Martin at $2.5M x 4, than Weise and Gordon.

Not sure Boedker would have taken that deal here--and he's much better at RW than LW, so where is he playing in the top six?

As for Martin, why? He's clearly not a top-six forward. That's the conversation. (I don't think he's better than Weise either).

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Boedker went to a contender and his former coach.

Weise is a better player than Martin who's a 4th liner.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Boedker is overrated. He's not good 5v5 for a top 6 forward.

Matt Martin was something like 369th among forwards in P/60. Those guys aren't even worth a million.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad