News Article: Flyers looking to extend Schultz

thelos

Bunk
Jul 19, 2011
as long as we ditch some of Coburn/Grossmann/Schenn/MacDonald, its not a bad move. it will be cheap.

I hope we keep MDZ if we are getting a new coach

McNasty

Jan 20, 2007
Rutgers
Schultz has been sturdy back there. I admittedly didn't like him being brought in but he has proven me wrong.

Agreed, he's a capable 3rd pairing defender and more importantly is making a 3rd pairing salary.

Something close to his current cap hit for 2 years would be fine with me.

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
I am not interested in extending Schultz. He is a dime-a-dozen third-pairing defenseman on a team that is currently bottom-heavy with middling Dmen on difficult-to-move contracts. I'd think that there are better options out there even for a veteran mentor. For me, Schultz has been okay but not worthy enough to be installed into next season's line-up.

McNasty

Jan 20, 2007
Rutgers
I am not interested in extending Schultz. He is a dime-a-dozen third-pairing defenseman on a team that is currently bottom-heavy with middling Dmen on difficult-to-move contracts. I'd think that there are better options out there even for a veteran mentor. For me, Schultz has been okay but not worthy enough to be installed into next season's line-up.

He's proven he's capable as a #7 as well. There might be better options, but are they cheaper? Schultz's value IMO is tied to how effective he can be for a low salary.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
He was a good #2 last season. If Timonen came back and played like he did last year, Coburn will look like his old self.

I think Coburn pretty much has been himself after his first 5 games back where he looked awful... I think it is kind of a 'perception hangover' from those 5 games following him. He has pretty much been normal Coburn since in my eyes, solid D for 95% of the time vs tough competition.

I hate +/- but he is 0 on the year.

He is also a + in Corsi Rel, and has the 3rd best raw Corsi on the D after Streit and Schenn. While arguably getting the hardest minutes amongst D men (Schultz has an argument as well, both have played virtually identical minutes on the season at EV.)

His Corsi against per 60 is also the best on the defence by a large margin... 50.50, next best is Schultz at 52.87... after that is AMac and Streit both around 54.90. That is a massive difference... especially when Schultz has been hogtied to him for the most part and he plays far tougher minutes than Streit and AMac.

Cootsfanclub

For Oskar!
Mar 29, 2013
He really took over the Columbus game that he was named first star in, I want more of that out of him. He really needs someone better than Schultz to partner with.

LexSea

Queen of the Couch
Mar 31, 2014
Hopefully this means that one or both of the tortoise twins are headed out.

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
Trade him now, for a 4th round pick, then resign him on July 1st. There is no need to re-up this guy now at all.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Obviously signing Schultz for too much would be a bad move, but signing Rinaldo for any amount is a bad move, that's the difference.

Danko

You have no marbles
Jul 28, 2004
Yes if the price is right...he has been better than i thought he would be. 2 years max

BackToTheBrierePatch

Nope not today.
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
Yes if the price is right...he has been better than i thought he would be. 2 years max

I think he would take a deal around his current cap hit with maybe a 10-15 percent raise on a 2 year extension. He has said he wants some stability and stick around somewhere with his family.
2 years/1.4 million per, would be something I think he goes for. IMO

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Meltzer expects him to want 3 years at $3 million, but I think that's nuts.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad