News Article: Flyers looking to extend Schultz

RJ8812*

I mean.... Really, if prongers injury never happens, he's likely still playing and likely still a top 15 defenseman. That contract would be great right now, especially with that cap hit.

Mostly because it likely means Macdonald isn't here

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Yeah, but if it weren't for those signings and trades we would have different draft picks instead of selecting the three allstars we currently have in Morin, Sanheim, and Ghost.

But seriously, obviously it'd be nice to have Pronger instead of Schenn and MacDonald, but you never know what else happens then. Maybe we really did luck out on one of our draft picks who will lead us to a cup in the next decade, maybe we don't get them if any one little thing is different in the past.

daynus

Nov 25, 2002
Good Ole Saskatchewan
Visit site
Just had my am talk with a guy from Strasbourg, lives a block from nick, and is a flyers fanatic like myself.
He said nick really really likes philly. So we discussed potential contract talk with nick. Nick wants a few years, and he's not gonna play for peanuts, and he's not gonna attempt to fleece the flyers either. Don't be surprised if it's a contract that is fair to both sides. It's up to hexy and nicks agent to see if nick stays or goes.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
If they extend him at the figure Meltzer mentioned, someone else has to go. You can't have 7 defenders making $3 million+ each.

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
If they can move Grossmann, I think 2 years at 2 million AAV would be a good number for Nick. He's a bottom pairing defenseman, but a relatively steady one that would be good with one of the young guys.

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
If they extend him at the figure Meltzer mentioned, someone else has to go. You can't have 7 defenders making $3 million+ each.

Yeah...L Schenn

Goes to show you how you can sign a serviceable FA like Schultz instead of trading away a skilled winger like JVR for L Schenn....

Patience.....but the whole Bryz fiasco ( a lesson in patience in of itself) invariably led to losing it with JVR and taking the bait with L Schenn

BillDineen

Former Flyer / Extinct Dinosaur Advisor
Aug 9, 2009
I would be fine with 1-2 years at 1.5mm. Anything over is representative of why the D is in the state it is in. Next summer is also tricky enough as it is, so a 1 year deal is best.

A non cap team would open up a spot for a young player to make it instead of adding yet another 3mm or more UFA equivalent priced dman.

BillDineen

Former Flyer / Extinct Dinosaur Advisor
Aug 9, 2009
Also, not sure if MDZ and Schultz are actually good, or they just look good compared to the turds on this d.

Flyotes

Sorry Hinkie.
Apr 7, 2007
SJ
The Pronger injury is the gift that keeps on giving. Like nuclear fallout.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
I'd trade him. It looks like they caught lightning in a bottle. Time to capitalize.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I'd trade him. It looks like they caught lightning in a bottle. Time to capitalize.

Grossmann looked OK when we first traded for him, then got extended, now he's bad.

MacDonald looked OK when we first traded for him, then got extended, now he's bad.

I'm a bit worried that Schultz is looking good now, will get extended, then turn out bad.

That's why I agree that if we can get some picks out of him it's probably a good idea to make that trade.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Grossmann looked OK when we first traded for him, then got extended, now he's bad.

MacDonald looked OK when we first traded for him, then got extended, now he's bad.

I'm a bit worried that Schultz is looking good now, will get extended, then turn out bad.

That's why I agree that if we can get some picks out of him it's probably a good idea to make that trade.

Trade Nick Schultz while he has value. Trade Grossmann too. Stop playing veterans only on our defense. Give Mark Alt a shot to play at the NHL level. The only way our young defensemen ever get NHL experience is by playing in the NHL. At some point, someone in the organization has to realize this.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad