News Article: Flyers looking to extend Schultz

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia

The Flyers also have interest in re-signing Schultz. Preliminary negotiations did not yet get underway, according to sources, but Flyers general manager Ron Hextall is expected to begin dialogue with Schultz's agent in the next few days.

"I'd love to stay here," Schultz said. "It's been good. I enjoy the group here, the guys on the team; the organization has been great. I think the biggest thing is my family enjoys it. That's a big thing now, when you've got kids. It isn't easy moving them around and stuff. It would be nice to stick to one spot."

Read more at http://www.philly.com/philly/sports...round_for_the_Flyers.html#4jUmjd5BET0FfQ6T.99

Some intersting notes. If the Flyers do extend him and use him on our third pairing, you have to believe someone or even more than one dman might be on their way outs at the deadline or during the offseason.

Luke Schenn and Coburn are my two best bets to be moved.

EDIT: Why isn't the new trick with the tweets working for me....

EDIT 2: AHA! Got it.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Id be fine with him being resigned. Been solid while here.

Got to think that at least 1 D man is moved if this is the case...

MacDonald-Streit
Schultz-xxxxx
Morin-xxxxx

Coburn
Grossmann
Schenn

would be the odds on favourites to go.

Funf

Sep 17, 2013
Philadelphia
Yeah, he'd be nice to keep around for the right price. I'm thinking 6 years, 30 million? :sarcasm:

Seriously though, he's been pretty solid for us. One of the few pleasant surprises on our backend this year.

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
I think a two year extension in the range of what he is making now would be what Homer is looking for. He gives you a third pairing dman that can help ease a younger player into the lineup like a Morin or Ghost.

Luke Schenn, Nick Grossmann, MacDonald can all go IMO. Coburn holds the most value at this point but probably is a draft night trade or summer trade when the number is released and teams have more flexibility. I don't think Streit will be moved.

I do know one thing, there isn't a damn chance that Hextall should bring back this group next year. He knows it, the fans know it everyone knows it. Big moves to the backend need to be made. If he can clear a Coburn and Schenn salary back there, I would love to target Boychuk.

If it happens, my guess is 2 years at 2.9 million. Average salary would be 1.45 million per year.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Depends on the value. If you can trade him for a 4th round pick, I'd do it. But that's not the Flyers MO. I look at it more like if he stays, someone else goes.

Funf

Sep 17, 2013
Philadelphia
Depends on the value. If you can trade him for a 4th round pick, I'd do it. But that's not the Flyers MO. I look at it more like if he stays, someone else goes.

Hextall is probably (hopefully) looking at ways that he can ease Morin and Ghost in to the lineup over the next year or two. Schultz, on paper, seems like he'd be the kind of veteran guy that the kids can really lean on and learn from as well. So, if things work out that way, which isn't a guarantee, it would be much more valuable than a 4th.

AndHeMissedTheNet

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Feb 12, 2014
The way i see it is this: He, Grossmann, and Coburn are all #3-4s at best, more likely 5s or 6s. But Schultz has done far less to piss me off than Grossmann and Coburn. Give him about the same deal Grossmann got minus any NTC/NMC and a year or two less on the term, and i think i'd be okay with that. Then dump the other two in the offseason. I think he could be a decent mentor, along with Streit, when some of the kids are ready.

Plus, when Grossmann is gone, they can give him his number and all the old school fans can start recycling their Dave Schultz jerseys. :sarcasm:

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Hextall is probably (hopefully) looking at ways that he can ease Morin and Ghost in to the lineup over the next year or two. Schultz, on paper, seems like he'd be the kind of veteran guy that the kids can really lean on and learn from as well. So, if things work out that way, which isn't a guarantee, it would be much more valuable than a 4th.

With Ghost on the shelf this year, you can probably count out Ghost next year as well (outside of callups). Hextall will and should give Ghost a whole year in the AHL before considering him in the NHL full-time.

Cootsfanclub

For Oskar!
Mar 29, 2013
The way i see it is this: He, Grossmann, and Coburn are all #3-4s at best, more likely 5s or 6s. But Schultz has done far less to piss me off than Grossmann and Coburn. Give him about the same deal Grossmann got minus any NTC/NMC and a year or two less on the term, and i think i'd be okay with that. Then dump the other two in the offseason. I think he could be a decent mentor, along with Streit, when some of the kids are ready.

Plus, when Grossmann is gone, they can give him his number and all the old school fans can start recycling their Dave Schultz jerseys. :sarcasm:

How do you lump in Coburn with them? At best Coburn is a good #2.

Funf

Sep 17, 2013
Philadelphia
With Ghost on the shelf this year, you can probably count out Ghost next year as well (outside of callups). Hextall will and should give Ghost a whole year in the AHL before considering him in the NHL full-time.

That's a tough call to make. I'd be 100% with you, but I was also someone who said Laughton should spend a full year down there, and as of right now it looks like the best place from him is in the NHL. Nobody can really say where we'll be with Ghost or Morin by this time next year, so I think it's something that management has to keep in mind moving forward.

dats81

Jan 22, 2011
Carinthia, AUT
I'm ok with him being offered a contract but I'm a little concerned the Flyers will give too much term again.

In an ideal world a 2 year contract would be fine. Maybe 3 years max. to mitigate the cap hit. Schultz is not getting any better in his mid 30ies and he already got burnt badly once on that big 6 year contract with the Oilers where he could not live up to expectations.

Personally I would not offer more than 2 years, 5M.

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
I'd rather them not especially if no one else is headed out.

My thinking here is if they are trying to re-sign Schultz, it means they will be shipping others out. Hextall has to be thinking he needs to retool the defense with the way they have played this year. If he re-signs Schultz, we would then have all our top 7 defenseman under contract for next year. He honestly can't be thinking about keeping our defense the same as it was this year heading into the new year could he? We have Morin and Ghost who might be knocking on the door as well. Morin having the best chance of making the team I think we will make a couple of moves on the back end.

Appleyard listed the players that are most likely to go which I agree with. Coburn, Grossmann and Schenn. I think Schenn and Coburn are traded in the summer.

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
If they plan on moving one of Grossmann or Schenn out, then count me in on a relatively cheap two year deal. He would be a pretty good vet partner for one of the young guys on the third pair next year. He's not flashy, but pretty steady. That's ideally what you want out of a partner, a guy that you know what he's going to do when he's on the ice.

KrazyKat

May 27, 2013
Vancouver
If they plan on moving one of Grossmann or Schenn out, then count me in on a relatively cheap two year deal. He would be a pretty good vet partner for one of the young guys on the third pair next year. He's not flashy, but pretty steady. That's ideally what you want out of a partner, a guy that you know what he's going to do when he's on the ice.

Completely agree. I would move grossmann not schenn or coburn. Schenn is right handed shot and is needed here for 1 more year. Coburn i would only move if i know we are getting a good Defenceman in return. But if Ghost and Morin make it Schenn would be the odd man out.

Macdonald-Streit
Morin-Coburn
Gostisbehere-Schultz
Schenn

If Ghost is sent back down to the AHL (Which he should be due to his injury/missed development time)

Morin-Streit
Coburn-Schultz
Macdoanld-Schenn

Got to remember we got Del Zotto too?!?!

daynus

Nov 25, 2002
Good Ole Saskatchewan
Visit site
Nick has been one of the few pleasent surprises for us on d. I could see 2 yr, 3m base, plus potential bonuses, signing bonus, to get us a good cap hit.
I can see grossman going before trade deadline, and coburn will be a good value at the draft and woukd fetch us a good pick. Now if we could only rid ourselves of umberger and vinny, then we would in a much more flexible, cap situation, not close to the max, like we usually operate.money doesn't buy a winner, smart money does.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I'd be happy with this.

Let's be real, he's been better than Schenn, Grossmann, and MacDonald this year and he's not going to get much if he does re-sign. If we can somehow move at least one of them then this is a good trade up for both quality and cost. It'd make me even happier if we can get a good haul for Coburn because, obviously in addition to adding draft picks or prospects, it'd make sure theirs room for the prospects to come up.

I wouldn't be surprised to see something like 3 years 5.25m and I'd be fine with that.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
My thinking here is if they are trying to re-sign Schultz, it means they will be shipping others out. Hextall has to be thinking he needs to retool the defense with the way they have played this year. If he re-signs Schultz, we would then have all our top 7 defenseman under contract for next year. He honestly can't be thinking about keeping our defense the same as it was this year heading into the new year could he? We have Morin and Ghost who might be knocking on the door as well. Morin having the best chance of making the team I think we will make a couple of moves on the back end.

Appleyard listed the players that are most likely to go which I agree with. Coburn, Grossmann and Schenn. I think Schenn and Coburn are traded in the summer.

I stopped trying to figure out what the hell Hextall is doing a while ago.

Schultz has been fine & better than I expected but I still fear giving him too much term since he was dreadful for a couple of years prior to coming here & we're finally starting to see some light at the end of the tunnel with the pricey contracts on the backend sans MacDonald.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Rennes vs Brest
    Rennes vs Brest
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $61.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Mainz vs FC Köln
    Mainz vs FC Köln
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $380.00