Flyers lack toughness

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
but playing fast is always more than skating fast.

The Flyers play a system where "playing fast" involves abandoning zone support up-ice and flinging pucks north ASAP and chasing. That's not playing fast.

The people who constantly cry about this team being “slow” need to read this until it sinks in. I’ve repeated this a million times in GDTs and PGTs.

Skating speed is not the problem.
It’s how they’re playing the game.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
I'd love to add an elite transporter of the puck -- and that means more than straight line speed -- but playing fast is always more than skating fast. I think the Flyers have plenty of guys who play fast, although maybe not so much in recent draft classes. On paper, team speed isn't a major issue, even if I'm not saying it's great. But especially long-term on the backend you have Sanheim, Provorov, Myers (without the puck at least), York, Jones, etc. All those guys are plus skaters, most of them with the puck.

The Flyers play a system where "playing fast" involves abandoning zone support up-ice and flinging pucks north ASAP and chasing. That's not playing fast.
"But especially long-term on the backend you have Sanheim, Provorov, Myers (without the puck at least), York, Jones, etc."

You sneaky bastard.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Our posting system emphasizes volume of shots posts over quality.

Just be happy im not joining the crew in winging bullshit posts passes up as hail maries, too

Look at you two matching. You guys are so horrifying cute.

"But especially long-term on the backend you have Sanheim, Provorov, Myers (without the puck at least), York, Jones, etc."

You sneaky bastard.

giphy.gif

Should've taken out Sanheim.

Lindberg

Bennyflyers16 get a life
Oct 5, 2013
It's a meaningless stat....but it doesn't mean hits are meaningless.

Example, we have seen Hagg rack up meaningless hits after the guy he is chasing passes the puck. Meanwhile a hit that seperates a man from the puck so his teammate can retrieve the puck certainly has meaning.

The NYI are hard to play against most nights. They play a tough way...even though they have guys like Eberle and Barzal on their team. They have team toughness.

And what is also important for them, is that they have all those hits(3rd in the league), but they took the least amount of penalties in the league too. So they are not "punishing" their PK and team by hitting so much.

We are easy to play against. We have no identity. Or mascot is more popular than we are.

Well sure but then you're digging into the analysis of a situation. Deadhead clearly was using hits as a justification for his argument.

Reactions: Tripod

04hockey

Sep 28, 2017
It's like people forget they actually did play very well and "had an identity" before covid and AV changed everything.

T---H---I---S

WTF has happened since that group of FLYERS were a "ROCKIN" .....they were playing AWESOME .

Bueller ??

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
The team that has the puck and dictates pace is always going to look faster.

Throwing the puck to the other team when they're ready and waiting for that is a good way to make them look like speed racers.
:nod:

Fast teams are all about quick transition, but that's mostly dependent on quick/accurate passing instead of just fast skating.

That's the whole problem with AVs anti-puck possession system. Instead of quick puck movement through the neutral zone, it's Hail Mary passes or giving the opponent the puck and hoping to get it back.

Reactions: ajgoal and Amorgus

ajgoal

Almost always never serious
Jun 29, 2015
I'd love to add an elite transporter of the puck -- and that means more than straight line speed -- but playing fast is always more than skating fast. I think the Flyers have plenty of guys who play fast. On paper, team speed isn't a major issue, even if I'm not saying it's great. But especially long-term on the backend you have Sanheim, Provorov, Myers (without the puck at least), York, Jones, etc. All those guys are plus skaters, most of them with the puck.

Magua telling the future again.

gto64dr

Jan 15, 2012
I hope you guys are following the Isle's - Tampa series. Game 1 the Isle"s were extremely physical and caused a ton of turnovers. Games 2 & 3 they eased up and lost both. Game 4 they turned up the hits and look much better. It"s not how good you are, it's how bad you want it. Heart won't always beat talent but you can sure up your odds. Flyers just play soft.

Reactions: The Hooter

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Can we maybe skip the intangible fetishizing?

That team that's all talent and no heart just won the cup a few months back.

What team was that?
The Lightning are more physical than the Flyers, maybe you haven't watched the Coleman - Gourde - Goodrow line?
They outhit the Flyers 1347 to 1219 last season, 1677 to 1501 the year before.
Their defense is huge and physical.

After they lost in the 1st rd following a record breaking regular season, that team changed its approach, didn't hit more but added forecheckers with speed and 'tude and more size to the defense.
Shattenkirk, Bogosian, Schenn on defense, Goodrow, Coleman at forward.
Demoted Tyler Johnson and gave more TOI to Killorn and Cirelli.
This season, replaced Shattenkirk with Savard, promoted Colton to the 4th line.

kudymen

Hakstok was a fascist clique hiver lickballs.gif
Jun 18, 2011
Atlanta (Decatur)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad