Flyers lack toughness

04hockey

Sep 28, 2017
Watching the playoffs this year I've come to the conclusion that we could not compete with any of the four remaining teams. We have a soft team that doesn't like to take the body.

istockphoto-620705482-170667a.jpg

Reactions: IronMarshal

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
The Flyers can’t compete with a team that had ONE more point than them this year?

The Flyers factually can’t compete with the Lightning and Golden Knights because they’re fantastic teams that are on another level then the rest of the league sans Avs.

The Flyers won’t be able to compete until their head coach stops having them playing like a bunch of people that have never met before and in a way that makes things impossible.

It’s not because they’re soft.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
The Flyers can’t compete with a team that had ONE more point than them this year?

The Flyers factually can’t compete with the Lightning and Golden Knights because they’re fantastic teams that are on another level then the rest of the league sans Avs.

The Flyers won’t be able to compete until their head coach stops having them playing like a bunch of people that have never met before and in a way that makes things impossible.

It’s not because they’re soft.
Agree with you till the last line. I would say we are soft. Or we play soft...and that could be by design. Myers this year did not play with the physical edge he played with in the AHL. Same with Morin. People don't "pay the price" to stand in front of our net like they do vs Montreal for example. So that could be be design.

And I use the Myers and Morin examples because those 2 are known to play a certain "way". But maybe it could be also explained by Myers rib never healing(he flinched on an incoming hit behind our net that I noted when it happened) and Morin simply might have been told he needed to cut down on penalties....so played more cautious.

But the rest of the team, we don't play a tough brand of hockey. That should be easy to see. We are not hard to play against physically. People don't hate playing against us because they know it will be a physically dogfight. The rep remains, but we have not played that way in almost a decade.

It's ONE thing on the ist of things we don't have.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Well they ARE soft.

Hits per game:
Habs 28.30 (1)
Isles 25.98 (3)
TB 24.05 (9)
Flyers 21.99 (19)
VGK 21.75 (20)

Flyers lack speed/physicality in the forward group, overall they're probably average to slightly above average in speed, but below average in physical play.
Laughton, NAK are their two physical players. Which is one reason they extended Laughton.
Allison may be a third.
Who else? Lindblom?

It's not like they need to add goons, but guys like Coleman, Pageau, etc.
Foerster, Wisdom, Desnoyers may fit that mold.
Twarynski, Bunnaman do, but aren't good enough to stick. Ratcliffe might grow into that role.

Flyers also have an undersized, soft defense that allows opposing forwards to rent real estate in front of the blue paint.

Reactions: Bob Clarke Fan Club

04hockey

Sep 28, 2017
and NO ONE will ask "patty" to share in this responsibility :mad: .....he's got his excuses

I have spoken or I call the Cops .....just try me :sarcasm:

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
It's not the only reason but it's one of them. I forget which game but they were just talking about the size of the remaining four teams (especially defense) having big guys that play a tough game.

Not every player has to be a big bruising forward or defenseman but to pretend like it isn't important to have SOME guys that fit that bill is silly. Of course you absolutely can win with a team of sub 6' guys that don't hit, but you still need more than one or two guys that are willing to throw the body around.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
and NO ONE will ask "patty" to share in this responsibility :mad: .....he's got his excuses

I have spoken or I call the Cops .....just try me :sarcasm:
Taken responsibility for not being able to train due to migraines? Don't be so stupid.

He came out and said he knows this summers offseasn is the most important of his career. He knows what is at stake. He is finally able to train in the offseason...if he comees back and is shit....then it's on him. Having a MEDICAL CONDITION like migraines, are not his fault. It's like blaming Lindblom for getting cancer.

oh wow...Clarke talking about Neilson flashbacks.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->