Rumor: Flyers gearing up to trade Wayne Simmonds

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
In the Value thread for Simmonds just 2 months ago, a 1st+Brown was well received by lots of fans on both sides. And a few days ago, I mentioned it again on the Flyers board and most are on board with that deal still

Don't stop there....Brayden Schenn was traded on June 23rd as well last year!

The issue is that this year, day 1 of the draft is June 22 and I think a 1st will be involved for him...unless Hextall wants another 2 1st rounders for next year....damn hoarder!

1st+Brown gets it done....and hell....throw in the rights too!

rather do one of nielsen/engvall/grundstrom

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly
Ellis is one of my favorite Preds but I would consider this. We'd probably need a RHD coming back though.

Forsberg - Johansen - Arvidsson
Fiala - Turris - Simmonds

We have no RHD. It's Gudas....and then Myers in the A. That's it. We'd be able to throw Hagg in the deal for a similar level forward. It doesn't really matter what side he plays, he's scared of having the puck on his stick.

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
I think Ellis is worth quite a bit more than Simmonds, personally. I feel like Simmonds would be a nice fit in Tampa Bay. 2nd line with Point and Palat.

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
If Simmonds is traded, expect whatever team he lands at to give up a ton for him.

Why?

Because of Ron Hextall.

Reactions: SnS

mja

Jan 7, 2005
Ellis is one of my favorite Preds but I would consider this. We'd probably need a RHD coming back though.

Forsberg - Johansen - Arvidsson
Fiala - Turris - Simmonds

We have no RHD. It's Gudas....and then Myers in the A. That's it. We'd be able to throw Hagg in the deal for a similar level forward. It doesn't really matter what side he plays, he's scared of having the puck on his stick.

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
Considering there are more high end wingers available now than who knows in how long Phi would be wise to wait. The supply will limit what they can get but if they wait for some big deals to happen they can use that as comparisons in a few months to get more for him.

FlyTimmo

pit <3
Jul 10, 2013
Considering there are more high end wingers available now than who knows in how long Phi would be wise to wait. The supply will limit what they can get but if they wait for some big deals to happen they can use that as comparisons in a few months to get more for him.

Though, after the Capitals run, I could see teams putting a premium on physically skilled players like Simmonds.

mja

Jan 7, 2005

The beautiful thing about Simmonds is that he has those "intangibles" that old-school hockey people just go gaga over. He's the only scoring winger on the market who can also mix it up, etc., so he stands out a bit from the crowd.

Montecristo

Jul 29, 2012
I think Simmonds would be a good fit with krejci and kovulchuk but I think Boston will be on his 12 team list

dingbathero

No Jam? How about PB
Jul 14, 2010
St. John's, NL
Tagging onto the Wild connection through Russo

Would a

Simmonds for Coyle and Murphy be something?

Only reason is a 3rd line center in Coyle and a RHD that Hextall would like..... 2 birds, 1 stone? Value does that work?

The Burdened

May 1, 2017
Draft
Dallas are on the clock
Bettman come up
"We have a trade to announce"
Dallas crowd goes silent
"Dallas trades #13 to Philadelphia for Wayne Simmonds"
Dallas crowd gasps

Reactions: dingbathero

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
The beautiful thing about Simmonds is that he has those "intangibles" that old-school hockey people just go gaga over. He's the only scoring winger on the market who can also mix it up, etc., so he stands out a bit from the crowd.

Teams will still have options which will give Phi less negotiating power. These are also high end guys like Skinner, Patches, Panarin, etc so even with his intangibles Phi wont be able to ask much more than the other asking prices where if there weren't any other options they could get other teams to start a bidding war for him and up the price.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta

Would a

Only reason is a 3rd line center in Coyle and a RHD that Hextall would like..... 2 birds, 1 stone? Value does that work?

Not for me.

Coyle is 3.5 years younger and has 1 more year on his contract. He was also on a very nice upward trajectory up until last year, when he broke his leg and tore some thumb ligaments.

Coyle might be our 2nd line center sooner rather than later too.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Draft
Dallas are on the clock
Bettman come up
"We have a trade to announce"
Dallas crowd goes silent
"Dallas trades #13 to Philadelphia for Wayne Simmonds"
Dallas crowd gasps

If Hextall was going to do that, he should do it before the draft starts so he can use two of #13, #14 and #19 to move up into the top 10.

Reactions: SnS

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison

Would a

No. Coyle has played as a 3C out of necessity, but he should be in the top-6 next year. Whether that's at C or RW is going to depend on how the offseason shakes out. And maybe how stubborn Koivu is.

If we did trade for Simmonds the goal would be to add another right-shot forward. Giving up Coyle for an older player that'll be a UFA next year would be counterproductive.

I could kind of see giving up one of our LW's, but I think it's a bad idea.

Reactions: dingbathero

mja

Jan 7, 2005
Teams will still have options which will give Phi less negotiating power. These are also high end guys like Skinner, Patches, Panarin, etc so even with his intangibles Phi wont be able to ask much more than the other asking prices where if there weren't any other options they could get other teams to start a bidding war for him and up the price.

Panarin's a completely separate beast. He's going to command a haul. But Patches & Skinner aren't really the same market as Simmonds. If you're looking for a netfront guy, it's going to be Simmonds.

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
Panarin's a completely separate beast. He's going to command a haul. But Patches & Skinner aren't really the same market as Simmonds. If you're looking for a netfront guy, it's going to be Simmonds.

Top 6 winger is a top 6 winger, teams will definitely have preferences but if the price deviates too much then they will go out the window. I'm also not really disagreeing with you, just saying waiting a bit may raise his value unless they can manage to move him at the draft before anyone else is moved.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad