Rumor: Flyers gearing up to trade Wayne Simmonds

Insulin

Jan 23, 2013
Atlantic City
Everyone will have to wait until June 23 for Simmonds to be moved.

Richards and Carter traded away on June 23, 2011. JVR traded away June 23, 2012. Scott Hartnell traded away June 23, 2014. Brayden Schenn was traded away June 23, 2017*.

*Thanks to Tripod for pointing the Schenn trade out.

Last edited:

quackquackquack

Oct 10, 2012
He's such a good fit for Anaheim that it blows my mind. He can skate, is physical and can finish around the net. Perfect fit to play with Getzlaf

FlyTimmo

pit <3
Jul 10, 2013
Simmonds to Detroit doesn't make too much sense. They are rebuilding right? Why do they need Simmer?

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly
If it's Russo reporting this, do we have reason to be concerned? Considering who he is mostly plugged in with...

Something around Spurgeon, perhaps? As a Flyers fan, I'd be really down with that, and we know Hextall is looking for a RHD. Spurgeon has an extra year on his contract but the basis of a deal could definitely be there, particularly if the Wild (over)value Simmer's "intangibles".

Deadpool8812

Feb 10, 2018
Yes, GMs only care about in division trades when they regard stars. Wayne Simmonds is not as much of a threat as a Voracek or Giroux would be.
I would never trade anything beyond a fringe NHLer to the Rags and I doubt Hextall would either

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly
The guy who wanted Simmonds made Captain and Couturier and Giroux traded a year ago is demanding to know who Michael Russo is and why he should be taken seriously. :rolleyes:

Several years ago he also made repeatedly insane arguments that Simmonds was a *much* better player than Jake Voracek.

Nico the Draft Riser

Devils, Rams, Hawks, Twins fan
Nov 18, 2017
I would never trade anything beyond a fringe NHLer to the Rags and I doubt Hextall would either
Lmao that would just make you closed-minded and not worthy of a GM position.

I mean did you even think about it? What if Simmonds has NYI/NYR/NJ/PIT as four of his twelve trade clause teams because he wants to stay local? What, youre just going to take drastically less value because youre nervous hes in division?

If all four of the local rivals offered the best value trades, youd move him out West for cheaper? Seems really silly

Reactions: Oddbob

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
First and foremost, who is Michael Russo? And why should anyone put credence in what he says?

tenor.gif

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
If it's Russo reporting this, do we have reason to be concerned? Considering who he is mostly plugged in with...
I don't think so. This is me reading between the lines, but Russo seems a little frustrated with his lack of access to Fenton thus far. While I'm sure he's still got little birdies in and around the Wild front office, he doesn't seem to have a good line on what the Wild are up to.

This seems more like something he picked up while talking to GMs/sources around the league. Or maybe that's just wishful thinking on my part, because trading for Simmonds would be almost as bad as trading for Pacioretty. We don't need to give up prime assets for a guy that's going to want to get paid a year from now, when he's 30.

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
From a Devils fan, I don't think there's any likely scenario that makes sense for a deal between NJ and Philly with Simmonds involved anyway. For what Philly would likely want, NJ would have to overpay and I wouldn't be willing to do that.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
Not really a Wings fan, per se, but he idolized Fedorov who was his favorite player. Are the Wings in a position to give up Larkin or Mantha?
:laugh: Simmonds isn't getting you either Larkin or Mantha no way. And in his interview he did say he grew up a Wings fan it was when Detroit drafted Givanni Smith and Simmonds says that he reminds him of himself.

Nico the Draft Riser

Devils, Rams, Hawks, Twins fan
Nov 18, 2017
From a Devils fan, I don't think there's any likely scenario that makes sense for a deal between NJ and Philly with Simmonds involved anyway. For what Philly would likely want, NJ would have to overpay and I wouldn't be willing to do that.
I probably wouldnt pay it either but was just curious as he is one of the ‘few’ RWs available

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad