Roster Moves: Flyers claim Pickard off Waivers

Adam Warlock

Apr 15, 2006
What on Earth are you babbling about?

The fact that we are going to be dressing no where near to the best possible line up the organization has to offer on thursday. He keeps bringing in unnecessary depth to block young players while keeping crap players that are doing the same. Just not good management.

Reactions: Rebels57

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
The fact that we are going to be dressing no where near to the best possible line up the organization has to offer on thursday. He keeps bringing in unnecessary depth to block young players while keeping crap players that are doing the same. Just not good management.
Are you freaking out because one trash vet 4th liner is taking the place of another young 4th liner or something? Or one trash vet goalie being in place of a rookie goalie as backup?

macleish1974

Crash.....Heart of a Lion
Aug 2, 2005
Florida Swampland
Our Goalie situation in a nutshell......

highway to hell.jpg

The most definitive and infinite truth

Adam Warlock

Apr 15, 2006
Are you freaking out because one trash vet 4th liner is taking the place of another young 4th liner or something? Or one trash vet goalie being in place of a rookie goalie as backup?

Im freaking out because when every goalie is healthy we are going to have 6 goalies for 2 teams and the one that is going to suffer from it is Hart...aka the most important piece to our teams future.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014

I agree, but I dont think Pickard is an example of that.

I think Lehtera, MacDonald, Hagg, and possibly Folin in the lineup is an example of that.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Scrub veterans don't block top prospects, prospects block themselves.
Did Weal and Lehtera block Vorobyev?

When Myers is deemed NHL ready, Folin, Hagg or MacDonald will be moved to make room, same when Morin comes off IR.
When Rubtsov is deemed NHL ready, Lehtera, Weal or Knight will be moved to make room.

Lehtera is playing because Knight is hurt and he looked better in the preseason than Weal (which isn't saying much, but Lehtera actually found another gear on his tractor).
(poor Striiker, do I praise Weal to damn Lehtera?).

Foggy14

Sep 13, 2017
I’m not shocked. Hextall took Pickard to the Worlds 2 years ago, so his eye has been on him and clearly there is an opportunity here.

Yeah, Cal had a .938 save percentage in seven games in that series.

I don’t know if they put Stolarz on waivers or not but Neuvirth & Lyon should be starting the season on IR so you’d have to wait a while on them.

Stolarz hasn't been waived, yet.

Makes sense.

NHL - Elliott, Pickard
AHL - Hart, Stolarz
IR - Neuvirth, Lyon

If Stolarz actually played hockey last year, i'm guessing they'd have went with him as backup and then picked up an AHL backup off the trash heap. They must not be comfortable with him as NHL backup since he missed so much time last season.

Sounds right to me.

I'd like to see them go with Stolarz to be honest. Let him finally prove himself or play himself off the roster.

As a Flyers' draft pick, I've been pulling for Stolie, but it would be risky to put too many eggs in his basket until he proves the knee issues are behind him.

Pickard signed multiple years or RFA ?

According to CF, Pickard has one year left at $800,000. UFA after this season.

DoobieDubas

Legalize Hitting Again
Jul 15, 2018
Toronto
Pickard is actually really solid always been a fan. Hes either a place holder until your goalies are healthy and then you waive him or hes better than your goalies and you waive your other tendys.

Id stick with picks

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Flyers also need to audition for a goalie next year, I can't see them resigning Elliott or Neuvirth, so it's going to be Pickard, Lyon or Stolarz to pair with Hart (assuming he plays well enough this year to make the team next year).

Alpha Couturier
Feb 28, 2005
Chester, UK
Im freaking out because when every goalie is healthy we are going to have 6 goalies for 2 teams and the one that is going to suffer from it is Hart...aka the most important piece to our teams future.

I don’t see that. Hart is in the AHL and is a start for as many games as he wants, no matter how many are behind him. We’re not going to sacrifice his development for this scrub.

Foggy14

Sep 13, 2017
I can't see Hart's development suffering from the Pickard move.

He's Hexy's prized possession.

If Hart is as successful at the NHL level as we all hope he'll be, Ron will get the credit (deservedly so) for solving the Flyers' goalie nightmare that has been going on since before a lot of us were born.

Right now, Hart is the only goalie at Lehigh Valley with an NHL contract - not exactly an ideal situation. With Neuvy and Lyon on IR it makes sense to solidify the back-up situations in Allentown and Philly.

Yeah, it gets messy in the short term, with so many goalies and Stolarz not having cleared waivers, yet, but it's a pretty small price for trying to improve our current goalie situation.

Flukeshot

Briere Activate!
Sponsor
Feb 19, 2004
Brampton, Ont
I would be cool with keeping Pickard and throwing Neuvirth on the waiver heap. Toronto will be looking for a veteran backup.

If he doesn't get claimed I would see if he is interested in a loan to a European team.

Limeyjim

Jan 4, 2017
Newcastle upon Tyne, England
Neuvy's questionable health situation must be driving Hextall up the wall. I hope he's waived as soon as he's off the I.R.. I like the idea of signing a goalie who has experience in the NHL, and he's still only 26 years old. This is a good insurance move, I hope Pickard does well!

Lindberg

Bennyflyers16 get a life
Oct 5, 2013
I am all for cutting Neuvirth loose. Trade, waivers, buyout whatever. Do the Flyers risk putting Lyon or Stolarz on waivers.

Yeah at this point Hextall should move on. He's not reliable at all. He can play out of his mind but he's made out of glass.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad