Roster Moves: Flyers claim Pickard off Waivers

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Which is fine, we don't need Pickard in the AHL, we need a reliable backup goalie at the NHL level.

We can audition Pickard until Lyon is healthy (supposedly Neuvirth is skating, but I don't think Hextall has any trust in him staying healthy for more than a week at a time), then decide between them.

This is a no cost move, heck, we waived Weiss and Leier and lost neither player, we can waive Stolarz with little fear of him being claimed, and the same with Lehtera and Knight. So the money is peanuts and we don't risk losing a player.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
doesnt he stay on their main roster tho. And if they waive, flyers can grab him and put in minors directly.

Nah, Toronto gets the right to claim him back & send him down without passing through waivers since they were his original team.

The Flyers would have had to trade for Pickard to be in that position. That’s why you saw some guys get traded the past few days that were on waivers.

Reactions: Curufinwe

Danko

You have no marbles
Jul 28, 2004
Looks like stoli will be gone, sam charldi tweeting, stoli may be gone, nothing official yet.
I think the tweet your referring to is where he said may be replacing Stoli, i take that as replacing him as backup on the roster.

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
Like the move in-general. Not like we're bursting with talent there right now.

I like Pickard (more than Stolie) so I'm a fan even if Stolie has to go. Neuvy can go kick rocks, Lyon isn't the real deal and Hart just needs a tiny bit more time to cook it seems. Elliot is fine for 1 more year.

Let's see how it goes.

flyersfan187

Dec 4, 2007
Morrisdale, PA
Neuvy can't stay healthy. Lyon should be a career number 3 goalie. Elliot was over worked last season and then got hurt probably because of his usage. Stoly is a question mark. Hart I would like to see stay in the AHL for a year for experience and to gain confidence, even though I think he is already our best goalie. You bring in Pickard that has some potential and can spell Elliot a lot of games. This is a very nice move by the Flyers.

KrazyKat

May 27, 2013
Vancouver
This is a smart move. If he sucks, he sucks. If not we have a proven back up for now, and stolarz can get some time in the AHL.

When / If Nuevy comes back. Pickard can just be released again if necessary. Unless he plays well, then Nuevy can be expendable. Same with Lyon.

Deadpool8812

Feb 10, 2018
This is a smart move. If he sucks, he sucks. If not we have a proven back up for now, and stolarz can get some time in the AHL.

When / If Nuevy comes back. Pickard can just be released again if necessary. Unless he plays well, then Nuevy can be expendable. Same with Lyon.
Well...you can't just release him

eramosat

Dec 19, 2015
Toronto
Not really. He was sub-par in Colorado and a backup in the AHL last year (on a good team). Such is life living on the wire.

I think Pickard is definitely good enough to show himself superior to both Lyon and Stolarz, and even more. He was a victim of the Vegas draft and then the Leafs goaltending "depth"...he just as easily could have been playing full-time in the NHL last year.

Will be interesting to see how the Flyers approach his usage, how he does and if he's given a chance to unseat the other Flyer keepers. He's no Mrazek, IMO.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
He was better for that terrible Colorado team in 16-17 than Varlamov was.
By the metrics they were both bad. Varlamov also played half as many minutes and only 24 games. Varlamov faced more high quality chances than Pickard when he played.

Pickard was 52nd out of 56 goalies in dSV% (actual sv% minus expected sv%). His -23.13 GSAA (goals saved above average) was the worst in the league by 8 goals and he only played 50 games. Not saying you can place all of the blame on him for Colorado's disastrous season, but they had a huge turnaround when he left. :dunno:

I don't blame the Flyers for adding him, there's almost no risk, but I wouldn't expect a whole lot outta him. I wonder which goalie the Flyers preferred?

Maurice of Orange

Wahatquenak
Feb 5, 2016
Neuvy can't stay healthy. Lyon should be a career number 3 goalie. Elliot was over worked last season and then got hurt probably because of his usage. Stoly is a question mark. Hart I would like to see stay in the AHL for a year for experience and to gain confidence, even though I think he is already our best goalie. You bring in Pickard that has some potential and can spell Elliot a lot of games. This is a very nice move by the Flyers.

How can you say this about your future starter The Lyon King

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Not saying you can place all of the blame on him for Colorado's disastrous season, but they had a huge turnaround when he left. :dunno:

I don't blame the Flyers for adding him, there's almost no risk, but I wouldn't expect a whole lot outta him. I wonder which goalie the Flyers preferred?

Varlamov had a good year before that season (.914) and a good year afterwards (.920), he may have been injured, but I think that team also tanked.
Both backups in 25 games (Pickard and Berra) put up a .922 % in 2015-16, and Bernier put up .913 in 2017-18.

So while I don't think Pickard is starter quality, I also think his 2016-17 season probably was an anomaly. Every goalie they started that year put up really bad numbers.

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
So Pickard is on Non-Roster status... that’s a new term for me.

Also Weiss is on the team.

EDIT: explained in other thread

Adam Warlock

Apr 15, 2006
Hextall did a great job drafting and rebuilding the farm...but now that he has a ton of players to manage he has no idea wtf hes doing.

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
I'm less angry about this now than I was. I get it from Hextall's perspective.

I'm not trusting Hakstol to figure out how to utilize his marginal talents, particularly the goaltenders.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad