Roster Moves: Flyers claim Pickard off Waivers

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I doubt anyone touches Stolarz, someone might take a chance on Lyon based on his AHL playoff performance.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
In the end, we need a healthy goalie at the NHL level. This gives us that.

Stolie is screwed most likely with us. He gets waived mist likely, and clears. No matter how he plays, the Flyers won't run with Hart and ?Stolie in 2019/20 at the NHL level. They will want a vet to pair with Hart.

I still think Stolie can be good, but him getting hurt last year likely killed his opportunity with us.

dats81

Jan 22, 2011
Carinthia, AUT
They were one injury to Elliot away from having to play Stolarz who blew out both knees and played a total of 4 games last season.
And you are getting a sense that Hextall was never high on Stolie when he only got him into 7 games during the 2016/17 season that was f***ed up beyond repair where a young goalie could have played plenty towards the end.

Neuvirth is made of glass.
Lyon is a fringe NHLer and injured right now.
They obviously don't want Hart in the NHL this season and it probably won't happen with the number of bodies on and around the roster now.

OzFlyers

Registered Boozer
Jul 3, 2011
Australia
I was hoping (and posted) that the Flyers would pick up McElhinny but Carolina had the waiver advantage but Pickard is much younger and could stick for the season.
Time to move past Neuvirth. Let Stolarz play some AHL games to see where he is at before writing him off or declaring him the solution.

Last edited:

dats81

Jan 22, 2011
Carinthia, AUT
Pickard was second on my wishlist right after Mrazek when they needed a replacement goalie last season. I would not expect him to flash anyone but expectations are much lower for him which may bode him well.

Reactions: hatcher

MacDonald4MVP

May 7, 2016
Lol at people clamoring for pickard. There's a reason he was waived. At least we know hak won't be giving him any starts.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Not sure Pickard will have a 3 year stretch like Mason (who still came up short in the playoffs), but we're talking an alternative to Lyon and Stolarz as a backup, not the future of the franchise. Though I also think he was better than he looked in that last year in Colorado, when he was a victim of a tanking team that left him out to dry.

The price was right.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Elliott wasn't "broken" last year, he didn't get injured until late January, and he had a light workload in January.
In fact, he played better, like a lot of goalies, when he was "overworked," probably because he's not that athletic and needs to get into a groove where his anticipation is at a high level.

Benji007

Jun 7, 2018
When can Flyers get rid of Neuvirth?
Can they just buy him out without carrying any salary forward to 2020?

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
When can Flyers get rid of Neuvirth?
Can they just buy him out without carrying any salary forward to 2020?

His contract expires this offseason. So that at the latest. They could put him on waivers & hope someone claims him or trade him. That’s the only two options of getting rid of him in season.

Benji007

Jun 7, 2018
His contract expires this offseason. So that at the latest. They could put him on waivers & hope someone claims him or trade him. That’s the only two options of getting rid of him in season.
Well that sucks. At this point he does more harm than good by even being on the roster.

captainpaxil

Dec 2, 2008
I just had the terrible thought that the only goalie we have that can be sent to the echl is carter hart.

Neuvirth ltir
Elliot
Pickard

Lyon
Stolarz

Hart

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad