Roster Moves: Flyers claim Pickard off Waivers

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Check back at 12.

Waiving him for a guy that just cleared waivers doesn't seem like a great idea, but maybe they know something I don't.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Check back at 12.

Waiving him for a guy that just cleared waivers doesn't seem like a great idea, but maybe they know something I don't.
I am not sure if anyone would claim Stolie but I would be bummed if he was. I don't think he'll ever be the starter here but I had hoped at some point he'd be the backup at least. I want all the NJ natives on the Flyers! Especially the Ocean County one(s)!

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Pickard is only two years older that Stolie and while he hasn't been superb he has shown he can hang at the NHL level. From a player/team standpoint, Pickard is the better option almost without question. From an "I like Stolie because he is from New Jersey and I really wanted him to be a mainstay here for years" perspective, I would choose Stolie.

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
I really liked stolie. I do see him more as a number 1 than a backup type for some reason so not sure he’s the best to be behind Hart in the long run. They’d have to offer him a deal to go beyond this year. Maybe all things considered he doesn’t work the best.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Problem with Stolie is he needs to go to the AHL, play 30 games behind Hart, and show that the knee is 100%.
It's a tougher injury for a goalie b/c they put a lot of lateral pressure on a knee.

Reactions: BernieParent

dats81

Jan 22, 2011
Carinthia, AUT
Based on injury history and the fact that opening night rosters have already been set for all teams, I think it's almost safe now to waive Stolarz right after GM1.
He will most likely pass. No team will put in a claim to carry him as a 3rd goaltender for the next 30 days just for fun.

Reactions: Curufinwe

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Based on injury history and the fact that opening night rosters have already been set for all teams, I think it's almost safe now to waive Stolarz right after GM1.
He will most likely pass. No team will put in a claim to carry him as a 3rd goaltender for the next 30 days just for fun.

A team that might claim Stolarz would be one with a waiver-exempt backup they can freely demote. Like the Rags.

New York Rangers - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

That seems to be the only team with a waiver-exempt backup on the roster.

Last edited:

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
Stolarz, yet another example of a prospect being way overrated. At his peak he was a decent prospect. He had his chances and with Hart, Sandstrom, and even Lyon surpassing him the writing is on the wall. I also think the writing is on the wall for Neuvirth. Brian Elliott is clearly the guy for better or worse and Pickard has the chance to be the backup all season long.

Reactions: Morinisbear

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
They had no choice but to waive Stolarz.

He’s coming off 2 significant knee surgeries & a missed season.

The Flyers can’t rely on him as an NHL backup, & he needs to play.

It makes zero sense to waste a roster spot stashing him & keeping him from playing coming off a lost year of development.

If he gets claimed, he gets claimed. It’s not like he dominated the AHL when he was healthy; the Flyers need a backup who they know can play in the NHL right now; & they already have at least two better goalie prospects in the system.

Reactions: Tripod

eramosat

Dec 19, 2015
Toronto
Pickard is officially the backup now...Stolarz has made it to the AHL, unclaimed, and will maybe be tonight's LHV backup. Hextall's goalie chess game continues, and he's doing ok so far.

onlylordsvsmorebp

HEAVYHOCKEY ENTHUSIAST
Dec 27, 2011
VAN ISLE CANADA
DpErjaYV4AEGcHo.jpg

PICKARDS NEW MASK...

FlyersMania2

#FireHakstol
Jul 4, 2007
NJ
Just perusing the first page here and wow, very entertaining quips about Flyers and our historically terrible management of goalies. I really enjoyed what I've read so far.

Aside from his numbers which I can look up - admittedly I can't even picture seeing Pickard playing in a game, what are your thoughts on him? Observations unrelated to stats por favor

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
Just perusing the first page here and wow, very entertaining quips about Flyers and our historically terrible management of goalies. I really enjoyed what I've read so far.

Aside from his numbers which I can look up - admittedly I can't even picture seeing Pickard playing in a game, what are your thoughts on him? Observations unrelated to stats por favor

He's a fungible backup goalie. Like most goalies, he's capable of getting hot. But he's not the type of goalie you build a team around. I will gladly take him over Neuvirth as the backup at this point, though, simply because Neuvirth is so unreliable injury-wise. And Pickard had a better AHL career than Stolarz, not to mention Pickard isn't coming off a missed season and two knee surgeries, so that's a no-brainer. And I sure as hell prefer him to Mrazek.

Pickard isn't the 6'3" + hulking goalie that seems to be the norm now, though.

eramosat

Dec 19, 2015
Toronto
The only time I watched Pickard, and learned anything about him beyond his stats, was in the 2016-17 World Championships. He played solidly, but not highlights, it's a tournament where a good NHL goalie should shut-out a few teams in the preliminary round and hold their own against the Top 6 so his stats (which were great by NHL standards) were normal for someone who can play in the NHL

That being said, I was not surprised when he was exposed by Colorado, he simply was not the best goalie in his organization. But he deserved better. He could be good enough to be a #2 longer-term. Very interested to see if he shines in a few games with the Flyers before they are forced into decisions, he's a reasonable candidate to include on the NHL roster in the seasons to come as Hart charts his path.

SanBlom

Jan 29, 2008
St Peters
Stolarz, yet another example of a prospect being way overrated. At his peak he was a decent prospect. He had his chances and with Hart, Sandstrom, and even Lyon surpassing him the writing is on the wall. I also think the writing is on the wall for Neuvirth. Brian Elliott is clearly the guy for better or worse and Pickard has the chance to be the backup all season long.
Thank you for posting something that I liked.

Reactions: The Madrigal

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->