Roster Moves: Flyers claim Pickard off Waivers

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
Maybe Neuvirth's injury is worse than first anticipated or maybe Hextall is ready to say enough with him.

It definitely could be, but I can't shake the optics of the re-signing with a raise coming off of a dreadful year. It would surprise me, but I don't know if it should.

bennysflyers16

Jan 26, 2004
Make no sense..... Unless Stolie and Neuvy are both Gone and not coming back!!

I do like Pickard tho

Elliot/Pickard

Phantoms

Hart/Lyon

Neivy Stolie Gonzo

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Pickard has actual NHL experience, two solid years as a backup in Colorado, before a bad season as a starter in 2016-17 (but Varlamov actually played worse that season, Colorado was a clusterf that year).
Has played better in the AHL than either Stolarz or Lyon, and is the same age with real NHL experience.

Won't surprise me if he's the backup goalie this year.
Stolarz gets waived and goes back to the AHL.
Pickard gets a 30 day tryout until Lyon is off the IR, then Hextall decides which one to waive.
Neuvirth gets waived but no one picks him up b/c of his salary.

bennysflyers16

Jan 26, 2004
Pickard signed multiple years or RFA ?

If he can turn out, maybe a Hart Pickard combo next year ??

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
It definitely could be, but I can't shake the optics of the re-signing with a raise coming off of a dreadful year. It would surprise me, but I don't know if it should.

True enough but I would doubt that the issue would be Neuvirth's abilities. The fact that he embarked on an off-season regimen to overcome his chronic groin problems, only to get injured before the season even starts, would be pretty damning against his reliability. I don't know much at all about Picard's game, but he costs nothing, Elliott is no stranger to injury, and Stolarz still has a lot to prove about health.

Reactions: macleish1974

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
Pickard has actual NHL experience, two solid years as a backup in Colorado, before a bad season as a starter in 2016-17 (but Varlamov actually played worse that season, Colorado was a clusterf that year).
Has played better in the AHL than either Stolarz or Lyon, and is the same age with real NHL experience.

Won't surprise me if he's the backup goalie this year.
Stolarz gets waived and goes back to the AHL.
Pickard gets a 30 day tryout until Lyon is off the IR, then Hextall decides which one to waive.
Neuvirth gets waived but no one picks him up b/c of his salary.

Pretty much this. It is a shame about Neuvirth; when he is healthy and on his game, I trust him a lot more than Elliott.

Reactions: FlyersMania2

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Stolarz may not be 100% until the spring, and the Flyers are fighting to make the playoffs, he's not a luxury they can afford.
He'll go to LHV and show that he's recovered before he gets another NHL shot.
Now they have the option of waiving Pickard when Lyon is ready, or waiving Lyon and keeping Pickard.
Since this option costs them exactly nothing (except Pickard's salary), why not?

Reactions: onlylordsvsmorebp

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
I was wondering if they would claim Pickard.

No surprise.

They don’t want to start the season out West with Elliott, who is coming back from offseason surgery, & Stolarz, who not only is coming off missing almost the entire season with 2 knee surgeries, but also is unproven as to how he’ll rebound from those surgeries, let alone at the NHL level where he’s unproven.

It makes perfect sense to prefer Pickard as the backup.

This could very well spell the end for Neuvirth & Lyon, though (depending on if they like Pickard more than Neuvirth, & Stolarz more than Lyon).

Reactions: onlylordsvsmorebp

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I also think Hextall was being proactive, he didn't want to find out that Elliott wasn't 100%, Stolarz wasn't NHL ready, and Lyon and Neuvirth would take longer than expected to heal and find himself having to pay for another Mrazek to stay in the playoff race in late October.

FlyTimmo

pit <3
Jul 10, 2013
Hart with Sandstroms post-to-post movement would win multiple Vezinas.

I know, I was just joking of course. Hart's IQ/Positioning, Sandstrom's athleticism, Stolarz's size. You have a potential generational goaltender there.

David St Hubbins

Well, you're not as confused as he is.
Jan 24, 2016
Deskfront, facing WSW
picard-make-it-so.jpg

Reactions: Defect

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad