Confirmed with Link: Flyers claim Mike McKenna (G) off waivers

Amorgus

Sep 22, 2017
Rochester NY
Live look into Michael Neuvirths doctors visit:

hqdefault.jpg
We wanted Goalie O.J. and we got Goalie Nordberg istead.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Meh I wouldn’t post it as I don’t really see the upside in displaying your personal business to the public (regardless of who you are, some ******* or someone with any hint of clout). But I do understand that there are certain downsides to a professional athlete that come with territory. Yes they make a lot more money than the common person but it doesn’t mean it isn’t a legit gripe.

Their kids will appreciate it when they arent burdened with crippling student loan debt due to their dads inflated salary to mostly just sit on a bench and have a great seat for the best hockey league in the world.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Their kids will appreciate it when they arent burdened with crippling student loan debt due to their dads inflated salary to mostly just sit on a bench and have a great seat for the best hockey league in the world.

Sure. I don’t think that’s Mike McKenna though but that’s besides the point.

My whole point is we don’t need to keep a running score of who’s got it worse.

Reactions: Young Sandwich

OrangeAndBlackMetal

Dark Wizard of the Black Cascade
Aug 14, 2009
Reykjavík
Yeah I'm just really trying to get my head around the sequence of "I see their defence sucks"-->"I see their goalies suck"-->"I believe the goalies suck due to bad defence too"-->"I really think we should stop playing our captain, 1C, top scorer, who plays good defense"
lol yeah i know, i was merely being facetious

Reactions: kudymen

Ruck Over

When the revolution comes, pants will do you no gd
Apr 19, 2016
Philadelphia, Pa
If hart is as booming as he’s touted. It won’t be. Hextall knew we were still rebuilding forward.
Based on the words he used before the season began and before his dismissal in addition to the signing of JVR, it would seem Hextall thought the Flyers were done the rebuilding phase (II), and were approaching the acquisition of talent phase (III). Just like everyone else, I hope Hart is the answer in net for the Flyers. However, I did not expect him to be the solution to the current teams problems. I put the bar a bit lower for Hart than becoming Patrick Roy, Ken Dryden, or Tony Esposito.

The Flyers do not appear to be a playoff tweener currently. That was the mark they were aiming for. And unfortunately, they are not playing well to be secure in a play-off spot, but rather the opposite end of the spectrum clearly, definitively out of it.

On topic - I enjoyed the tweet by McKenna saying he was gonna look a lil Munson with mismatched equipment. How does that work I reckon? If a skater moves teams, he's provided pants, sweater, gloves, helmet, etc. His non-visible pads are probably his own, but make no difference to the team aesthetic of hte new locale. But a goalie wears visible protective wear beyond the sweater, pants, socks. Are they responsible for supplying this themselves? How many mix-matched items do we expect/want to see. Helmet, catching glove, blocker, leg pads, different color scheme for each item, none of them white/black/orange adjacent?

Reactions: Ironmanrulez

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Both Lyon & McKenna stink as NHL goalies.

I said on the first page about McKenna, “This guy stinks.” I just can’t bear to watch Lyon in the Flyers’ net. He was humiliated both chances he got this season, & even last season it would seem like a miracle when the puck stayed out.

I’d rather have almost anyone in the Flyers’ crease than Lyon at this point, & that’s all McKenna is. Feel bad saying that about Lyon, because he seems like a likable guy.

How was Lyon humiliated in Vancouver? He allowed 2 goals on 19 shots with the team dead on their feet in front of him.

Against Buffalo he was playing injured.

Reactions: Danko and kudymen

ponder719

Haute Couturier
Jul 2, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
On topic - I enjoyed the tweet by McKenna saying he was gonna look a lil Munson with mismatched equipment. How does that work I reckon? If a skater moves teams, he's provided pants, sweater, gloves, helmet, etc. His non-visible pads are probably his own, but make no difference to the team aesthetic of hte new locale. But a goalie wears visible protective wear beyond the sweater, pants, socks. Are they responsible for supplying this themselves? How many mix-matched items do we expect/want to see. Helmet, catching glove, blocker, leg pads, different color scheme for each item, none of them white/black/orange adjacent?

Goalies keep their old gear with all of that, and while I don't expect multiple mismatches, he's still probably rocking his Ottawa gear. (There's a pic of McKenna in a Canucks jersey with Sens helmet at the link below.) Every year there are a few really good mismatch images; I'm partial to the image of Belfour in a Sharks jersey and his Blackhawks helmet and pads.

nhl goalie mismatched equipment - Google Search

Reactions: Ruck Over

Ruck Over

Apr 19, 2016
Philadelphia, Pa
I'm shocked the team doesn't supply the goalie with pants. I get that they need to be broken in to some extent, but that is just so tacky.

f*** me, I'm growing up. I never cared about this kinda crap before. If I live to be 70, I'm already half-dead. :(

Edit- Goalies with mismatched masks/equiptment
Combining the google search rabbit-hole, and the Niko chirp-

scpa0161.jpg

Flyers helmet, Oil Barons kit otherwise

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
How was Lyon humiliated in Vancouver? He allowed 2 goals on 19 shots with the team dead on their feet in front of him.

Against Buffalo he was playing injured.
He has a total .806 save % & 5+ GAA in his 2 games.
Maybe humiliated is too strong of a word for the Canucks game, but he was still .895 & looked shaky doing it.
I don’t think “good” is an accurate adjective to describe Lyon & he scares me to death on the Flyers. If you think otherwise because of a .915 in the AHL I don’t begrudge your opinion; I just disagree with it. Heck, McKenna had 4 seasons in the .920s in the AHL & 1 .918 but I don’t think that makes him “good,” either.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
If we're just gonna go by SV%, Hart is .901 in the AHL, and .899 in the NHL.

Ruck Over

Apr 19, 2016
Philadelphia, Pa
If we're just gonna go by SV%, Hart is .901 in the AHL, and .899 in the NHL.
Knew the guy sucked. Rookies can't play that many games, not enough jam and experience. IF ONLY ELLIOTT WERE HEALTHY ENOUGH TO TUTOR HIM! Neuvy started down that path, but he's hurt again, so the tutelage isn't there for Hart currently. I was mocked for saying Hart should've started in the ECHL earlier, as many good goalies have come from the ECHL ranks. And look at him now, gets to the big stage, and he wilts, to an even lesser save percentage than what he demonstrated at the AHL level in front of fewer people and dimmer lights. Hart just doesn't have enough heart to make it in the NHL based upon the SSS of 5 games, only a 40% winning percantage, hard to make the playoffs winning two of every five games. Just so sad. Pathetic really.

What about this Ersson kid I see at the WJC? Is he a bust because Sweden couldn't advance?

All Flyers goalies are jinxed. Hopefully this McKenna fella can break the curse.

#ObviousHeelTurn

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad