Confirmed with Link: Flyers claim Mike McKenna (G) off waivers

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
If I trade Gudas it wouldnt be for picks. But am fine with keeping him and extending him 2-3 yrs at 4 ish per ?
Yeah, a contract around there.

But if we're trading Gudas for players, it's not like we're getting a better defensemen back and his forward equivalent would likely be a mediocre 3rd line forward. I just don't see the point, personally.

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
If Myers, Morin and Friedman can all play then we move on from Gudas and Hagg is your No. 7. I'm not sure how likely that is, but conceptually Morin-Friedman is a better 3rd pair than Morin-Gudas.

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas

But if we're trading Gudas for players, it's not like we're getting a better defensemen back and his forward equivalent would likely be a mediocre 3rd line forward. I just don't see the point, personally.

Yeah but Chiarelli exists.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Im ok with it if it is the right players doing the winning. Then it wouldnt be meaningless because at least itd carry over to next year.

Thats how I feel too. The end of the 06-07 season had some bright spots after personnel changes. Following season, with revamped lineup, we went to the ECF.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Simmonds, Gudas and Raffl should be traded. I would even consider trading Jake if the return were right.

Id consider trading anyone but Giroux and Hart if the return is right. Then again, id even trade Hart for an established young elite goalie like Vasilevskiy (not that its a realistic scenario).

Reactions: OrangeAndBlackMetal

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com

Such a money-puck player.

Looks weird and unorthodox doing what he is doing... but proven time and time again how effective he is.

The fact Gudas is not valued higher is the same reason Brandon Pirri just got sent down to the AHL again, and effective NHLers like Andrej Nestrašil who never really did anything wrong are in Europe now when better than half the bottom sixers in the league... and why a guy like Jaškin has been almost out of the league multiple times.

Stereotypes about what a hockey player should do, how they should do it and what they should look like doing it. It is not everyone in the league though, I am not saying that... and for sure some guys who other teams want pass through cracks due to teams already being full on roster spots, contract limits etc.

And everyone wonders why Tampa are looking so insane this season. They don't care what a player looks like, his style, how heavy he is, his size... just if they are effective. They have midgets and skilled kids making up their bottom six! And even still, Yanni Gourde should have been in the NHL sooner for them.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014

Looks weird and unorthodox doing what he is doing... but proven time and time again how effective he is.

The fact Gudas is not valued higher is the same reason Brandon Pirri just got sent down to the AHL again, and effective NHLers like Andrej Nestrašil who never really did anything wrong are in Europe now when better than half the bottom sixers in the league... and why a guy like Jaškin has been almost out of the league multiple times.

Stereotypes about what a hockey player should do, how they should do it and what they should look like doing it. It is not everyone in the league though, I am not saying that... and for sure some guys who other teams want pass through cracks due to teams already being full on roster spots, contract limits etc.

And everyone wonders why Tampa are looking so insane this season. They don't care what a player looks like, his style, how heavy he is, his size... just if they are effective. They have midgets and skilled kids making up their bottom six! And even still, Yanni Gourde should have been in the NHL sooner for them.

Its maddening how far ahead they are than rest of the league in their philosophy.

Its nice that Fletch did mention he wants to emulate them after he was hired. Now he just has to do it.

BackToTheBrierePatch

Nope not today.
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
I feel like if players are mentally strong enough to end up at the highest level and fulfill their potential then the team sucking should really just be a "frustration" in the short term, and not impact who they become.

Carter, Richards, Umberger and Coburn all played on that awful 2006-07 team as "kids"... it did not hurt them at all. None had played more than 81 games of NHL hockey heading into that year.

Well you could end up being right. Goalies are a different animal tho. I just hope the kids confidence doesn’t get shot with this group in front of him. Yeah hes had his ups and downs. I just hope being exposed to this crap every night isnt so hard on him. We all know he is going to be left out to dry countless more times. Hopefully he doesn’t blame himself. Maybe he really is mentally strong and can deal with it.
We finally have our stud goalie prospect, sp I am probably just being overly cautious

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania

Yeah, I've always thought Gudas got more grief than he deserved. Obviously I wish he was more like pre-neutering Gudas when he legitimately scared players, but he's no goon and he can definitely play hockey. He's had his share of flashy screw ups, but every player does so I see no problem there.

If we move him we'll just have to find a replacement for him and I don't see how we're going to do with without needing to give up assets. There's just no pressing need, since he's both not blocking anyone from making the roster (MacDonald is the one we need to move for Myers) and he wouldn't be demanding a big contract either.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Raffl is a pending UFA, so I see the logic there.
Well I'm assuming that if he stays he'll be re-signed.

I don't know, I'd be more willing to let Raffl leave than Gudas because we have more forward prospects who will need space than defensemen, but I wouldn't be mad with Raffl being here since he'll be cheap and probably easily movable if plans change.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Its maddening how far ahead they are than rest of the league in their philosophy.

Its nice that Fletch did mention he wants to emulate them after he was hired. Now he just has to do it.

Yep. Ofc they are not perfect... and Cooper (while I think he is one of the best coaches in league and have thought that for a while) can sometimes be frustrating, they are a breath of fresh air in a lot of ways. Ofc quite a few other teams also have aspects of what they do, but not to quite the same extent.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Well I'm assuming that if he stays he'll be re-signed.

I don't know, I'd be more willing to let Raffl leave than Gudas because we have more forward prospects who will need space than defensemen, but I wouldn't be mad with Raffl being here since he'll be cheap and probably easily movable if plans change.

Yeh, Raffl is awesome but he is easier to replace... even though in an ideal world I would love to have him on the 4th line for the next ~2 years or so until he likely starts properly declining.

Partially because we have Lindblom, who is basically a 8 years younger Raffl with more skill and upside.

Dicky Dangles

dangles the puck.
Oct 3, 2006
Manhattan Beach

Yeah, like how does a guy (Martel) find his way onto the roster of a top team (Tampa) when he barely got a chance with one of the worst (Flyers).

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Yeh, Raffl is awesome but he is easier to replace... even though in an ideal world I would love to have him on the 4th line for the next ~2 years or so until he likely starts properly declining.

Partially because we have Lindblom, who is basically a 8 years younger Raffl with more skill and upside.
Yeah, the people I'd say are most likely to stick next year are these guys (ignore line combos), with the "???'''s being winnable spots:

Giroux-Couturier-TK
JVR-Patrick-Voracek
Lindblom-???-???
???-Laughton-???

Guys like Frost, Vorobyev, NAK, Allison?, Laczynski?, Farabee?, this years 1st?, etc are going to be fighting for spots probably, so the more open the better, as far as I'm concerned. Then the slim chance we get a big name FA or a trade is made.

Could Raffl take a spot? Sure, but that might be blocking a higher potential player. So, while he's a good player who definitely will never hurt you (especially as a 4th liner), it might be better for him to be replaced.

Gudas is far less replaceable.

Last edited:

Adam Warlock

Apr 15, 2006
Thats how I feel too. The end of the 06-07 season had some bright spots after personnel changes. Following season, with revamped lineup, we went to the ECF.

Yep. The next 9 months are probably some of the most critical in this franchises history. They could literally turn into a powerhouse for years to come or completely impload and be set back 5 years. Its all going to come down to some critical decisions.

I hope Fletch is the right man for the job.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
I’ve always liked Gudas & considered him underrated — except for last year when he lost his ability to skate & pass. But he’s back to good Radko this season. You’re always going to need value defensemen in the bottom 3.

The Flyers’ problems on D this season haven’t been Gudas & Hagg; it’s they’ve gotten far too little from their top 2. They’ve been abysmal based on what you need from your top 2 minute guys. In theory Sanheim-Myers & Hagg-Gudas should be fine as a bottom 4. But Provorov & Ghost must be much better for your top 2 minute getters. Those are the guys who your team is counting on to be special.

Reactions: Ironmanrulez

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Yep. The next 9 months are probably some of the most critical in this franchises history. They could literally turn into a powerhouse for years to come or completely impload and be set back 5 years. Its all going to come down to some critical decisions.

I hope Fletch is the right man for the job.

:clap:

OrangeAndBlackMetal

Dark Wizard of the Black Cascade
Aug 14, 2009
Reykjavík
Raffl is a pending UFA, so I see the logic there.
Yeah that one is a little more rational. I don’t necessarily want to trade gudas, but we’re not competing for a while obviously and there’s little reason to keep him around. Might as well just collect those assets, imo. Then again, i guess any asset you would realistically get wouldn’t be worth it. Idk, it’s just a thought. Anyone should be available for the right price tbh because the team as it’s constructed now is clearly not working.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia

See...I want to move on from Raffl now BEFORE he declines. We got our good use out of him, move on to the next wave of players. Let them all fight it out for playing time.

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
Raffl wasn't even picked in the expansion draft when Vegas could get him for free. I doubt we'd get a lot for him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad