GDT: Flyers @ Caps - 9/27/13 @ 7 PM

Dream Big

Jun 10, 2005
Axis Mundi
Oleksy, Carrick and Orlov are small guys. My concern is that they don't have the weight/size for a full season plus the post season wars. They'll need support the entire season from their d partners.

Hillen's smallish too.

That also puts more pressure, wear and tear on the rest of the D Green, Carlson, Erskine and Alzner.

Cajkovski is starting to look better to me all the time. I like his size.

HeyMattyB

Sports bring out the worst in everyone.
Aug 20, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
Nice whiff, Mojo. That dude is seriously never going to get it together, is he? I want him to. I want him to be the perfect winger compliment to Backstrom and Ovechkin. But, seriously, every player that has spend significant time next to those two on the first line has looked better.

How much longer should I continue to hope? Lettuce say until the Olympic break.

SimplySensational

Heard of Hough
Mar 27, 2011
VA
Fehr 2 + 1
Perry 1 + 2
Carrick 0 + 3
Ovi 2 + 0

Backstrom and Grabovski atrocious 33% and 29% in the faceoff dots respectively.

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
Because its a trend from the previous 2 seasons.

Who gives a crap? 2 seasons ago was a tale of two coaches/systems and last year was yet another new system. The previous 4 seasons the Caps were always towards the top as far as shots for and against goes. How'd that work out?

It's the preseason. A decent amount of guys on both teams in every game are not going to have more than a cup of coffee in the NHL all season and you are crying about preseason corsi ratings? JFC dude...

SimplySensational

Heard of Hough
Mar 27, 2011
VA
Tim Panaccio ‏@tpanotchCSN 34m
Been told NOT to expect any supplementary discipline to Rinaldo from the league office. BTW: 5 fights in FLyers vs Caps

This ****ing league. People with past incidents are allowed to headshot Capitals freely, while the league has no fear about being called out for suspending Ovechkin and Green when their prior incidents were well over 18 months beforehand.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
Some observations:

Orlov can look so damn good on the breakout. Nobody on the roster outside of Green has close to that kind of ability. For all his mistakes, I'd be feeding him NHL ice time to iron out the other aspects of his game. It's not like Hillen and Erskine are far superior.

Carrick's got a good skill set and a really good head for the game. In 2-3 years when he adds some muscle mass and gets a bit more explosive stride, he'll be an NHLer.

Alzner looks to me like he's gotten stronger and faster.

Wilson is really forcing McPhee's hand to make space for him on the roster.

If the preseason so far is any indication of the accuracy we can expect from Ovie, he's going for 50+ this season.

Acallabeth

Post approved by Ovechkin
Jul 30, 2011
Moscow
This ****ing league. People with past incidents are allowed to headshot Capitals freely, while the league has no fear about being called out for suspending Ovechkin and Green when their prior incidents were well over 18 months beforehand.

It was a SHP, Libs. Grabo's always forgetting to keep his head up.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Orlov can look so damn good on the breakout. Nobody on the roster outside of Green has close to that kind of ability. For all his mistakes, I'd be feeding him NHL ice time to iron out the other aspects of his game. It's not like Hillen and Erskine are far superior.
Purely from a puck management standpoint, Hillen is better. Hillen's also a better skater so IMO it's a reasonable decision in the short-term to play Hillen over Orlov. Hillen has his limitations but he's generally more reliable. Orlov's reliability/consistency is perhaps the #1 question. If mgmt. shares those concerns I can see them selling on him reaching his upside unless he starts making a statement in Hershey. I like Orlov's skill set but I don't think he's improved much the past couple years and it's a bit troubling. He's missed some time but IMO he hasn't really stood out above and beyond what he's done previously. Without that sponge factor it's hard to see him reaching top 4 potential just based on his skill and physical attributes alone.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
Purely from a puck management standpoint, Hillen is better. Hillen's also a better skater so IMO it's a reasonable decision in the short-term to play Hillen over Orlov. Hillen has his limitations but he's generally more reliable. Orlov's reliability/consistency is perhaps the #1 question. If mgmt. shares those concerns I can see them selling on him reaching his upside unless he starts making a statement in Hershey. I like Orlov's skill set but I don't think he's improved much the past couple years and it's a bit troubling. He's missed some time but IMO he hasn't really stood out above and beyond what he's done previously. Without that sponge factor it's hard to see him reaching top 4 potential just based on his skill and physical attributes alone.
I'm of the opinion that Hillen offers almost nothing to the organization in the mid or long term, and any advantage he offers in the short term is middling. Without giving Orlov a sustained run of games, it's impossible for him to improve his reliability and consistency.

I don't think it's necessarily a Hillen vs. Orlov decision either. Play him over Erskine, Hillen, or Oleksy depending on the opponent, injuries, gameplan, etc.

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
Some observations:

Carrick's got a good skill set and a really good head for the game. In 2-3 years when he adds some muscle mass and gets a bit more explosive stride, he'll be an NHLer.

Alzner looks to me like he's gotten stronger and faster.

Wilson is really forcing McPhee's hand to make space for him on the roster.

If the preseason so far is any indication of the accuracy we can expect from Ovie, he's going for 50+ this season.

I second these observations on my just finished viewing of the game.

Orlov still pops out with the the skill and offensive instincts. Don't think he pairs well with Olesky but instert shiny new tool alert was playing with Alzner. Even though I'm a prospect guy there does seem to be human nature for young prospects that look ahead of their dev curve in the "look he's only 19!" etc.. Thought the Boyle comparison was apt though I guess Letang (though he's faster and a better skater). I'd rather Carrick being down in Hershey.

I have a feeling Orlov still being waiver exempt has him going to Hershey even though I feel he'd likely progress faster on the 3rd pairing.

Latta is solid but not quite sure about his foot speed which limits his upside, IMO

Other observations keyboard GM crystal ball predictions:

-Wilson has made the team.

-Olesky goes to Hershey

-Byers impresses me sort of like a Hendricks did a few years ago where he opened some eyes. Not sure how he ends up on the roster with more dramatic moves. Has some size and speed.

-Top line looks great. Backstrom seems a little more relaxed in the sense that he does not seem to be hesitating especially when the flow of the game dictates he should take a shot. AO's body language after goals tonight kinda cracks me up, "Pre-season goals can frakk off."

-Could hear Wilson clearly yell out "Grabo" just after crossing the offensive blue line. Such a great pass by Grabo and yeah...its only preseason.

-Props to Strachan and Cajkovsky for good camps. Strachan might make this squad.

Last edited:

Carlzner

Oct 31, 2011
Denver, CO
Agreed, I think Wilson has made the team.

Wilson, Fehr and Grabo have easily been the 3 most impressive players this preseason, IMO. (I don't mean they have been better than Ovi, they have just stuck out and performed above expectations the most)

IafrateOvie34

May 14, 2009
Agreed, I think Wilson has made the team.

Wilson, Fehr and Grabo have easily been the 3 most impressive players this preseason, IMO. (I don't mean they have been better than Ovi, they have just stuck out and performed above expectations the most)

Indeed, I can't wait for this season to start.

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
The Caps and Bears are going to have some very hard decisions to make on defense. With Washington already sending Schilling, Wey, Kundratek, Schmidt, and now the possibility of adding Orlov, Carrick, and Oleksy/Strachan, The Bears blueline is going to be very deep and hard to get playing time. A few guys could be on their way to Reading.

By the way, Wey looked solid last night in his preseason debut. Didn't look out of place at all and used his body well. Didn't realize he was such a big boy.

sk84fun_dc

Nov 4, 2004
The Caps and Bears are going to have some very hard decisions to make on defense. With Washington already sending Schilling, Wey, Kundratek, Schmidt, and now the possibility of adding Orlov, Carrick, and Oleksy/Strachan, The Bears blueline is going to be very deep and hard to get playing time. A few guys could be on their way to Reading.

By the way, Wey looked solid last night in his preseason debut. Didn't look out of place at all and used his body well. Didn't realize he was such a big boy.

Unless I'm missing something, adding Oleksy or Strachan leaves them with 6D on the NHL roster. (add: I agree there's going to be competition for playing time, especially at the start. Note, Reading's season doesn't start until Oct 19 with camp starting before that so there's some time on that front, but I expect at this point, Flemming will start in Reading, maybe 1 or 2 more; would have said Cajkovsky before camp has played out like it has?.)

Hershey Defensemen:

Left shot D (7): Orlov (still on NHL roster,) Schmidt, Schilling, Brouillette, Genoway, Cajkovsky (still on NHL roster, AHL contract,) Wellar

Right shot D (6): Strachan (still on NHL roster,) Kundratek, Kolomatis, Wey, Flemming & Carrick (if he is sent to AHL)

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad