Confirmed with Link: Flyers Announce 8 signings: Andreoff, Gabriel, Prosser, among others

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Any intelligent player with puck skill can switch wings. It may not be their preference, but it’s not as big a deal as made out. Most of the difference is in the defensive zone and transition hockey. You adapt.

It’s the players who aren’t exactly great on their own side who you don’t want switching (ex. Simmonds, Wayne). Farabee has played RW; Lindblom as well; I doubt Frost couldn’t equip himself.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
So Bigras, Prosser, and Wotherspoon got 2 year deals.

The following players will be in the discussion to sign ELCs and start 20-21 in LHV:

Bernhardt - rights expire next summer
Ginning - Flahr mentioned him coming over as a 20 year old, would be a mistake but...
Hogberg - rights expire next summer
Kalynuk - will be 23, ready for pro hockey, risk him going UFA if he goes back to school
St. Ivany - unlikely to turn pro next season, but an outside chance
Wylie - has to turn pro or they lose his rights next summer
York - probably will be a two year guy, but also has an outside chance

Also possible a guy like Friedman is still there.

Last edited:

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Any intelligent player with puck skill can switch wings. It may not be their preference, but it’s not as big a deal as made out. Most of the difference is in the defensive zone and transition hockey. You adapt.

It’s the players who aren’t exactly great on their own side who you don’t want switching (ex. Simmonds, Wayne). Farabee has played RW; Lindblom as well; I doubt Frost couldn’t equip himself.

If you've played it before, it's not a big deal.

But for a rookie still acclimating themselves to the NHL, I wouldn't even consider it.
Gotta walk before you run, Frost is C first, LW second, and RW down the road.
Now if Frost or Farabee start at LHV, that's where you cross train them and let them take their lumps.
Even then, I'd start them on their "natural" side, let them have some success, then challenge them.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014

The following players will be in the discussion to sign ELCs and start 20-21 in LHV:

Ginning - Flahr mentioned him coming over as a 20 year old, would be a mistake but...
Kalynuk - will be 23, ready for pro hockey, risk him going UFA if he goes back to school

Brennan is on his last year, and Friedman probably has to be NHL next year or gone. He's not going to want to be delegated as a career AHL guy without at least going to another organization and see if he can't crack their lineup.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Brennan will probably stick around as long as he wants to play. His production probably depends on whether or not that's an AHL or NHL deal. But he said back when he first signed here that he didn't sign with the Flyers, he would've retired.

Maurice of Orange

Wahatquenak
Feb 5, 2016
I like the Welinski signing he had a decent season last year at the NHL and AHL levels.
I don’t really care for the Gabriel (goon) or Cricoulo (undersized) signing.

Don’t know what to make of the JF Berube signing but I believe it’s to keep an somewhat experienced goalie in the AHL if a waiver claim is made on Lyon.
Probably wouldn’t have been a good idea for the Phantoms to roll with 2 rookie netminders.

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012

You forgot Big Z. He will be in Allentown.

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2018

Legitimately worried about too many of our college/foreign players not signing

Last edited:
Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
You forgot Big Z. He will be in Allentown.
I had him with the big club. :sarcasm:

(I was looking on the reserve list. He already has an NHL contract.)

But yeah, it's potentially going to be crowded and there's a chance they have no intention of signing some of these guys.

Last edited:
Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

BiggE

SELL THE DAMN TEAM
Jan 4, 2019
Somewhere, FL

Exactly. I played wing most of the time, and a bit of D. Granted it was at a MUCH lower level, but I never had the slightest problem switching from the left side to the right. As a RH shot, it could be a bit more difficult defending on my off side, but it was often an advantage being on the left side in the O zone so it all balanced out.

Reactions: PhlthyRich

BringBackHakstol

Oct 25, 2005
Philadelphia
Definitely disappointing that not one of our D prospects is being brought into the AHL this year. Truly don’t understand why Hogberg and Kalynuk are not there this season

Reactions: 1865

Flyerfan13

Sponsor
Nov 17, 2016
With these additions the Phantoms will have 3 of the top 31 scorers from last year in the ahl. Andreoff had 55 pts and 150 pims quite a stat line. Add in a healthy rubtsov, ratcliffe,1 of frost/farabee. Really interested to see how sandstrom does with alot more playing time.the phantoms should have a great season.

Last edited:
Reactions: flyersfan187

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Brennan will probably stick around as long as he wants to play. His production probably depends on whether or not that's an AHL or NHL deal. But he said back when he first signed here that he didn't sign with the Flyers, he would've retired.

Brennan's days are numbered with the arrival of all these new guys. I wouldn't expect Friedman to be on waivers next year. He can replace Braun on the roster be the 7th or 8th dman on the Flyers. I'm assuming Hagg stays, but he'll be an RFA with arbitration rights so if Morin outplays him this year, the choice of which one to keep would be clear.

Provorov-Niskanen
Sanheim-Myers
Morin-Ghost
Hagg-Friedman

That would leave three spots for for dmen in the Phantoms top 7.

Bigras-Prosser
Wotherspoon-
Zamula-

Ideally they would go to Hogberg, Kalynuk and Wylie.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Kurtis Gabriel could be a nice 13th forward. JFB seemed pretty promising at one point, maybe he can regain some of that?

landsbergfan

Jun 20, 2018
Kurtis Gabriel could be a nice 13th forward. JFB seemed pretty promising at one point, maybe he can regain some of that?
giphy.gif

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad