Confirmed with Link: Flyers Announce 8 signings: Andreoff, Gabriel, Prosser, among others

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
You also need a cheap veteran for the 13th forward spot, especially on the road (where they can't drive down from Allentown in the morning in time for the pre-game practice). You don't want to stick a prospect in the pressbox, but someone like Andreoff is perfect for that role.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
You also need a cheap veteran for the 13th forward spot, especially on the road (where they can't drive down from Allentown in the morning in time for the pre-game practice). You don't want to stick a prospect in the pressbox, but someone like Andreoff is perfect for that role.
True.

Reactions: hatcher

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
At this point with NAK needing to clear waivers, he can be that person

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
NAK is #12 right now, with Laughton playing 3LW.
If one of the kids wins a job in camp, he moves down to #13 unless he beats out Raffl or Pitlick.
Otherwise they break camp with Andreoff or Gabriel as #13.
But a prospect won't be #13.

Foggy14

Sep 13, 2017
Still don’t get yesterday’s buyout. I know it’s a tiny, tiny issue financially but I think it hints at a wider inadequacy and overall financial recklessness.

Didn't want shmenko around is what it come down to.

It’s always good to clear out the old.

And replace him with a 33 year old Nate Prosser on a two year deal?

Shlemko would have cost us $1,025,00 on the cap this season after burying $1,075,000 in the AHL. At the end of the season we would have been done with him.

Instead, he'll cost us $900,000 on the cap this coming season and $600,000 in 2020/21.

From a cash perspective, we "saved" $600,000 by buying Schlemko out. But we're paying Prosser $425,000 to play at LHV each of the next two seasons (prorated to $700,000 for any days with the big club).

Maybe, you have to be a Harvard graduate to understand this. :huh:

hatcher

Sep 30, 2007
Kelowna BC

Shlemko would have cost us $1,025,00 on the cap this season after burying $1,075,000 in the AHL. At the end of the season we would have been done with him.

Instead, he'll cost us $900,000 on the cap this coming season and $600,000 in 2020/21.

From a cash perspective, we "saved" $600,000 by buying Schlemko out. But we're paying Prosser $425,000 to play at LHV each of the next two seasons (prorated to $700,000 for any days with the big club).

Prosser is the better dman and is rhd. meaner too.

Reactions: Ghosts Beer

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Obviously the AMac and Schlemko moves weren't about maximizing cap room, and it wasn't enough money to make a real difference (i.e. to pay an expensive veteran on a short-term contract to come and play 3RW).

Fletcher is balancing winning now and continuing to develop prospects, obviously he felt a physical RHD was more valuable as the #8 D-man (i.e. the guy you stash in the AHL), and Prosser is also insurance if Friedman flatlines. We have 5 LHDs on the current roster.

Welenski played 26 games for Anaheim last year, Bigras played 46 games for Colorado from 2016-18, and Wotherspoon has played 30 games for Colorado. So Fletcher preferred his guys in LHV to support all the prospect forwards.

Foggy14

Sep 13, 2017
Prosser is the better dman and is rhd. meaner too.

He's got to be much better to justify the $1.5m in dead cap space caused by the buyout of a guy who Fletch got for defensive depth just five months ago.

Personally, I just don't see it, and while it's not the end of the world, it's also not a great way to manage one of our most important resources, cap space.

Reactions: Ironmanrulez

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014

Prosser is better & wanted to be here on a 2 way contract.

Foggy14

Sep 13, 2017
Hatch, GB and dead, I was going to accuse you guys of spending our cap space like drunken sailors, but that would have been unfair to drunken sailors. :naughty:

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
Hatch, GB and dead, I was going to accuse you guys of spending our cap space like drunken sailors, but that would have been unfair to drunken sailors. :naughty:
You want the pirate in the AHL who is steering his peers toward the team, not the bitter pirate who hates the organization & will foment a mutiny. Prosser signed knowing his role.

FlyerNutter

In the forest, a man learns what it means to live
Jun 22, 2018
Winnipeg
Have we had anything close to a credible report that Schlemko was anything close to being unhappy or a “bad seed”?

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I just can’t see where this stuff came from that he was moved to keep everyone happy, and to prevent a mutiny or some ****.

Made me chuckle a bit.
I think it started with someone saying “the only way this makes sense is if it was because he was locker room problem” and people just somehow morphed that into “he was moved to prevent a locker room problem”.

Reactions: baudib1

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Let's see, what credible reason for buying out Schlemko can anyone provide.
Obviously it wasn't to make cap room.
So it would seem Fletcher didn't want him at LHV.
So why?

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
People have been really forgiving on Fletcher here for some reason. It's very strange. There's no defending the schlemko move. It's asinine.
Mostly impatient people who are just happy there’s a bias for action, regardless of quality. They can’t beg for action for years and then admit it was bad when they finally get their wish.

In the end, Hayes was the only real addition to the team, since one of the defensemen added might be no better than the one we gave up for him and the other defensemen could very possibly be a net negative, like Hagg.

So, despite all the praise for finally doing something, we’re still where we always were: depending on the core guys and the development of youth, while hoping the coaching doesn’t f*** us.

Reactions: BringBackBerube

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
Let's see, what credible reason for buying out Schlemko can anyone provide.
Obviously it wasn't to make cap room.
So it would seem Fletcher didn't want him at LHV.
So why?

Don't care if Schlemko is sacrificing chickens in the locker room to Jobu, there's no issue at LHV where an NHL tweener is preferable enough over Schlemko to put up $600K on the cap next year.

hatcher

Sep 30, 2007
Kelowna BC
He's got to be much better to justify the $1.5m in dead cap space caused by the buyout of a guy who Fletch got for defensive depth just five months ago.

Personally, I just don't see it, and while it's not the end of the world, it's also not a great way to manage one of our most important resources, cap space.
Fletcher did a player a solid. Players will love playing for flyers. Cap space will be there when we need it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->