Confirmed with Link: Flyers and Schenn avoid Arbitration (4 years, $5.125M AAV)

StevensCakeBakerBacker

Nov 11, 2009
When you consider the cap inflation in the past four years, there's not a lot of difference.

Simmonds
LENGTH: 6 YEARS
EXPIRY STATUS: UFA
VALUE: $23,850,000
Cap Hit: $3,975,000
C.H.% : 6.63 (% of the cap ceiling when the contract was signed)
SIGNING DATE: August 16, 2012 - best season was 49 points in 82 games

Schenn
LENGTH: 4 YEARS
EXPIRY STATUS: UFA
VALUE: $20,500,000
Cap Hit: $5,125,000
C.H.% : 7.02
SIGNING DATE: July 25, 2016 - best season was 59 points in 80 games

When it's laid out like this you can't really argue against the contract.

DecadesofFutility

May 22, 2013
Wilmington, Delaware
Its a fair deal. On the plus side is four years, two of which are UFA ones. On the other side, I was hoping that the deal would be more in line with what
Kreider and Johanssen received. They look like comparables to me. However overpaying half of a million per season to avoid having a mess on your hands is worth it. Now that he has this deal, he needs to play up to it.

It is an okay signing, a slight overpay.
Hextall is betting he continues to develop and becomes worthy of this deal.
If Schenn's performance falters this year or next, his contract is still tradeable.

I still do not see Schenn as an integral peice going forward, but this contract
does buy the Flyers some time for their drafted forwards to work their way into the lineup.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
It's weird, we all ***** and moan that we need scoring wingers. Schenn is arguably our best scoring winger and we're like...meh, if he drops a little trade his ass.

If he does slide, I don't think it'll be down to 20 pts. It'll probably be like 47.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
Already did. Pisses me off that anyone does.

You know. I never wish anybody to lose there jobs, but they just rest on their laurels they just type the some broad street bully BS, they ignore analytics, drafting measures, history, and just say "guy plays flyers hockey"

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
I have been at work but from what I have seen only the local hockey "experts" are trashing this deal.

This town deserves a better class of hockey coverage.

The dinosaurs in this town hate it, but the Sons of Penns & Broad Street Hockeys are perfectly fine with it.

Hmmmmm...

onlylordsvsmorebp

HEAVYHOCKEY ENTHUSIAST
Dec 27, 2011
VAN ISLE CANADA
**** ya! heard about this at work. so happy 4 yr deal got done! solid deal all the way around. exactly the money our board was calling it at too! anyway love Schenn and am totally relieved...:handclap:

kingjmusicman

Jan 4, 2016
don't mind term. hoped for $19M over 4. as long as there's no NTC/NMC not a huge problem with it....

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
TimmyP thinks 70 points gets you $5m in the NHL. In 2016. :dunce:

Hextall's offer suggests the Flyers want Schenn to prove he’s a $5 million player, which means show the Flyers 30 goals and 70 points this season.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
It is an okay signing, a slight overpay.
Hextall is betting he continues to develop and becomes worthy of this deal.
If Schenn's performance falters this year or next, his contract is still tradeable.

I still do not see Schenn as an integral peice going forward, but this contract
does buy the Flyers some time for their drafted forwards to work their way into the lineup.

Schenn was 11th in LW scoring this year. What does he have to do to be integral in our lineup?

We can only HOPE our forward prospects can reach this level.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
TimmyP thinks 70 points gets you $5m in the NHL. In 2016. :dunce:

lmao....lets see

Kane - 10.5
Benn - 5.25, but then 9.5
Crosby - 8.7
Thornton - 6.7
Wheeler - 5.6
Gaudreau - 900K-massive outlier
Pavelski - 6MM
Kuzny - 2.6MM
Panarin - 700K (which isn't real, his bonuses killed Chicago)
Kopitar - 6.8MM
Tarasenko - 7.5MM
Seguin - 5.7MM
Ovechkin- 9.5MM
Tavares - 5.5MM
Backstrom - 6.7MM

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Kopitar is actually jumping to $10M next year too. Gaudreau's currently up for a new contract this offseason. Kuznetsov & Panarin are due the next one. Tavares is the following summer.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
Kopitar is actually jumping to $10M next year too. Gaudreau's currently up for a new contract this offseason. Kuznetsov & Panarin are due the next one. Tavares is the following summer.

Exactly, anybody who is "reasonably" priced, will be a 8-10MM dollar player.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Exactly, anybody who is "reasonably" priced, will be a 8-10MM dollar player.

Yeah Tavares signed his deal coming off his ELC years ago. So that's an older contract & a different situation than the field there.

Panarin & Kuznetsov are in similar situations next summer as Schenn was this summer in terms how their contracts are setting up. They'll both get paid more than Schenn & rightfully so (probably both go over $6M per year at least). Gaudreau probably gets over that mark this summer I'd have to think too.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
He gets paid... actual real world money... writing about hockey is his job. How?

He's also married.... what kind of person would say "yeah, this arrogant, ignorant, obnoxious piece of trash is someone I want to see every day until I die".

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad