Confirmed with Link: Flyers and Schenn avoid Arbitration (4 years, $5.125M AAV)

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Why on earth do you wanna replace Couts?

It's not about WANTING to. It's about being in the position TO BE ABLE TO if we need to.

I love Couts. He is my favorite Flyer. I wish we had signed him to 8 years. Again, all I was saying is that hopefully Rubstov could replace him as the #2 C in 6 years if we need him to.

Sorry if it came across differently.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
I believe it's just just one RFA year for Hoffman because he turns 27 in November.

http://www.generalfanager.com/players/1455

http://www.wingingitinmotown.com/2013/6/21/4436012/getting-to-know-the-cba-episode-3-free-agency

Group 3 (Unrestricted) Free Agents
The easiest-to-define class. If you've accrued 7 seasons (with the same definitions as laid out about how 18 and 19-year olds accrue differently), you're a UFA. If you haven't accrued those 7 seasons by the time you hit age 27, you get to be a UFA anyway. The birthday issue is a little funny here, in that everywhere else, the date that matters is either September 15 or December 31. Here it's June 30. You could technically have a guy miss out on becoming a UFA because he doesn't turn 27 until July 2nd.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Hoffman is a better player (ES scoring rate, primary points, shot differentials) with a unique shooting ability. Very good value for Ottawa.

Agreed. They are comparable, but the fact that he has scored at significantly better rates the last 2 seasons and shoots way more than Schenn, I think he is more likely to maintain his 30/60 status through the contract and is more a pure goal scorer. Possession stats are a bit more equal when zone adjusted because Hoffman is more sheltered, but Schenn isn't exactly any stronger of a 2-way player -- and Schenn gets to play with a better center and on a better PP. But Hoffman to me has a big leg up offensively and probably more sustainable numbers. Given they're both 4 years, the age difference wouldn't bother me.

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
His deal is fair, but you have to like schenn better for now anyway. He really seems like he will continue to improve for several more years. Not so sure about hoffman

tymed

Jun 11, 2007
British Columbia
http://www.dobberhockey.com/hockey-rambling/ramblings-ryan-johansen-brayden-schenn-dan-hamhuis-and-more-july-26/

Since the lockout, only 32 times has a player posted a stat line of 25 goals, 10 power-play goals, 55 points and 30 penalty minutes, and Alex Ovechkin and Sidney Crosby are the only players to accomplish the feat in each year. Schenn was one of just 13 players to hit all four marks last year.

Among skaters with 1,000 minutes of five-on-five time, Schenn ranked 37th in points per 60 minutes with a 1.95 mark, and he ranked 42nd among all skaters with at least 200 power-play minutes with 4.52 P/60. In all situations, Schenn ranked 18th among skaters with at least 1,250 minutes of ice time with 2.66 P/60.

Entering his age-25 season, Schenn could take a huge step forward towards 30 goals and 65 points with solid contributing statistics. So, sitting ranked at 76th at NHL.com and 115th at ESPN could open up great value in the middle rounds.

With Sean Couturier's developed scoring last year, Schenn's value might not be completely tied to playing with Claude Giroux, either. Albeit, skating with Giroux would obviously be a huge help. Just note, Giroux and Wayne Simmonds were both better at five-on-five with Schenn on their line than when they played without him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad