Confirmed with Link: Flyers and Schenn avoid Arbitration (4 years, $5.125M AAV)

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Hextall has his core locked up, and once Streit, Schultz and one of the goalies moves on next year, financial flexibility.

However, I don't see him ever being a player in free agency, the reason is simple, compare Schenn's contract with what was given to 30 year old free agents with similar skills, do you want to pay players in their prime or on the way down?

I think Hextall's MO will be to continue to feed the talent pipeline and move guys out on the wrong side of 30 to make room for younger players and maintain cap flexibility. So signing a major free agent will be a rare event.

Petr Svoboda Mullet

Apr 3, 2016
Hextall has his core locked up, and once Streit, Schultz and one of the goalies moves on next year, financial flexibility.

However, I don't see him ever being a player in free agency, the reason is simple, compare Schenn's contract with what was given to 30 year old free agents with similar skills, do you want to pay players in their prime or on the way down?

I think Hextall's MO will be to continue to feed the talent pipeline and move guys out on the wrong side of 30 to make room for younger players and maintain cap flexibility. So signing a major free agent will be a rare event.

Hextall will not overpay for mediocre talent in FA, I think this is true, but I do think he would strike on an elite talent should they hit FA and they strategically fit with the team long term.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Glad Hextall didn't need to call me in to call Schenn names for several hours.

100k less than I figured would be right on the money, so that's good.

kudymen

Hakstok was a fascist clique hiver lickballs.gif
Jun 18, 2011
Atlanta (Decatur)
Now what do we talk about for the next 7 weeks?

Considering what threads we have seen here in the past few weeks (and more importantly what we have read within them; namely getting at the "Trade Mason" wreck for example :laugh: ), there will definitely be something to talk about, haha.

Very satisfied with both the AAV and the term. I guess it took longer because Schenn wanted more money for his skull's ability not to (nearly) ever get concussed. (seriously, how does he do that, lol)

Last edited:

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia

I agree....and that is where the thoughts on Simmonds occur. We will be paying for his 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 ANC maybe 36 year old seasons. To me, that's scary because he will be likely getting 6 million or more based in what we saw this year and then more if the cap increases.

I am a firm believe of trying to have contracts end by age 30-32....then move on. Let someone else pay for the declining years. Lock up the prime years, then trade them. Helps reduce risk.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
No trade protection in Schenn's deal. A few of the other RFAs have got NTCs in the final years of their contracts, but Hextall is following the LA model of not giving out trade protection as a rule.

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
No trade protection in Schenn's deal. A few of the other RFAs have got NTCs in the final years of their contracts, but Hextall is following the LA model of not giving out trade protection as a rule.

Which could be the reason why this took so long.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
I know I would ask for extra money as compensation if I could be shipped to Winnipeg or Edmonton two years from now without any say in the matter.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
I agree....and that is where the thoughts on Simmonds occur. We will be paying for his 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 ANC maybe 36 year old seasons. To me, that's scary because he will be likely getting 6 million or more based in what we saw this year and then more if the cap increases.

I am a firm believe of trying to have contracts end by age 30-32....then move on. Let someone else pay for the declining years. Lock up the prime years, then trade them. Helps reduce risk.

My guess is Hextall will be offering him 2-4 year deal, he's not going to go long. Somebody might, and that's when we waive bye. It'll suck, but you can't hog tie this team to a 6MM deal over 5-6 years. Especially on a power forward who more than likely will decrease in production severely.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
When you consider the cap inflation in the past four years, there's not a lot of difference.

Simmonds
LENGTH: 6 YEARS
EXPIRY STATUS: UFA
VALUE: $23,850,000
Cap Hit: $3,975,000
C.H.% : 6.63 (% of the cap ceiling when the contract was signed)
SIGNING DATE: August 16, 2012 - best season was 49 points in 82 games

Schenn
LENGTH: 4 YEARS
EXPIRY STATUS: UFA
VALUE: $20,500,000
Cap Hit: $5,125,000
C.H.% : 7.02
SIGNING DATE: July 25, 2016 - best season was 59 points in 80 games

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad