Confirmed with Link: Flyers acquire Cam Talbot for Anthony Stolarz

wasup

Mar 21, 2018
I saw it as a lost trade immediately.

It isn't Talbot's fault, but he should be playing more. This idiot ****ing organization is incapable of grasping that Elliott cannot stand up to a full starter's workload for even a short period. Who the hell knows if this is incompetence from goalie coach, head coach, or training staff. Let's call it all three, but I'm gonna lean towards the trainers what with their questionable history. They're playing with fire.
So ah what fire are they playing with . if he gets injured we put Talbot in and Elliot is not under contract to us next year anyways . He is playing well right now so Talbot can sit and collect dust for now . We need wins and if Elliot is getting them , screw Talbot ,there ain't no fire .

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I saw it as a lost trade immediately.

It isn't Talbot's fault, but he should be playing more. This idiot ****ing organization is incapable of grasping that Elliott cannot stand up to a full starter's workload for even a short period. Who the hell knows if this is incompetence from goalie coach, head coach, or training staff. Let's call it all three, but I'm gonna lean towards the trainers what with their questionable history. They're playing with fire.
wE cAn JuDgE fRoM PrAcTiCe

cfa4efaeca0b6a72aff7727a3d509573.png

BackToTheBrierePatch

Nope not today.
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
What if Stolarz told Fletcher he didn’t want to be back next season? Hart is our starter next year and beyond. The Flyers had stated earlier they wanted a vet going forward.
I admit I wasn’t crazy about this deal when it happened. But there may have been reasons why the trade happened when it did

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
Occam's Razor: Fletch wanted a veteran goalie.

Stolarz has all of 20 NHL games, he wasn't in position to tell the GM anything. If Fletcher went to him and said, "We'll pay you $900,000 for 1 year to be Carter Hart's backup," he probably would have done cartwheels.

Reactions: Ironmanrulez

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
It may well be that they think Lyon is the better goalie.
Lyon 28g .923 S% after posting 11g .944 S% in the Calder Cup PO last year.
That's a pretty impressive performance, and AHL goalie performance generally translates to NHL performance.
I doubt Lyon makes it through waivers again, so they were going to lose at least one of the two young goalies.

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
If they thought Lyon was better they would have just played him. You may have heard but there was a decent amount of shuffling at the goaltender position for the Flyers this year. A young goalie they liked probably would have gotten a shot.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Lyon was hurt when he played, then Hart took over and Stolarz was solid in a backup role.
It made more sense to keep Lyon in the AHL and let him play everyday, espeically once Elliott returned.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
What if Stolarz told Fletcher he didn’t want to be back next season? Hart is our starter next year and beyond. The Flyers had stated earlier they wanted a vet going forward.
I admit I wasn’t crazy about this deal when it happened. But there may have been reasons why the trade happened when it did

I'm not saying this is 100% the case, but way too many people discount this possibility.

Think if it from Stolies perspective. Hes 25, and wants a chance to prove he can start in this league. He knows hes never going to get it here because of Hart. Why would you re sign here when the organization has shown no sign of committing to you?

No 25 year old goalie is going to be content with "well, you can be our backup next year". Hes in the prime of his life to prove he can start, hes going to take that chance on himself somewhere. And maybe it's not for an actual starting role, but somewhere where he can be a cheap backup to a vet where he might get more starts.

If I was a young goalie now and the flyers came calling, i wouldnt entertain the idea either.

BackToTheBrierePatch

Nope not today.
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
It may well be that they think Lyon is the better goalie.
Lyon 28g .923 S% after posting 11g .944 S% in the Calder Cup PO last year.
That's a pretty impressive performance, and AHL goalie performance generally translates to NHL performance.
I doubt Lyon makes it through waivers again, so they were going to lose at least one of the two young goalies.

Lyon=Michael Leighton. Plays well at the AHL level. Being a NHL goalie? Not so much

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Until he completely let the team down on a routine play.

Thst team was also carried by 3 different goalies that year.

Leighton 16-5-2 .918 S%
Emery 16-11-1 .905 S%
Boucher 9-18-3 .899 S%

PO
Leighton 8-3 .916
Boucher 6-6 .909

It was a pretty fluky run, but Lavi doesn't sniff the Cup without him.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Leighton 16-5-2 .918 S%
Emery 16-11-1 .905 S%
Boucher 9-18-3 .899 S%

PO
Leighton 8-3 .916
Boucher 6-6 .909

It was a pretty fluky run, but Lavi doesn't sniff the Cup without him.

Lavi wins a cup with a goalie who doesnt let a beach ball between his legs every time someone stuffs one there.

This is just one more time where you overvalue stats and not the context thay surrounds them.

I'm asking honestly, and not to be an ass, because I want to give you the benefit of the doubt. Do you actually watch the games, or just live them vicariously through a stats website?

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Lavi wins a cup with a goalie who doesnt let a beach ball between his legs every time someone stuffs one there.

This is just one more time where you overvalue stats and not the context thay surrounds them.

I'm asking honestly, and not to be an ass, because I want to give you the benefit of the doubt. Do you actually watch the games, or just live them vicariously through a stats website?

I DVR every game.

Leighton had one of those runs (wonder if the St Louis goalie, who has never played like this before, is having a similar career run).
Boucher/Emery had this team well out of the playoffs.
It's why you don't get excited when a player had a career year that's way off his norm (see Skinner this year).

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
I DVR every game.

Leighton had one of those runs (wonder if the St Louis goalie, who has never played like this before, is having a similar career run).
Boucher/Emery had this team well out of the playoffs.
It's why you don't get excited when a player had a career year that's way off his norm (see Skinner this year).

Boucher had a run that even gave us a chance to get into the playoffs. That year was as much a tandem of goalies playing above their norms as it was anything else. If memory serves, it was Boucher who got us through the penalty shot contest in 82, and also a few games of the first series before he got hurt, and then Leighton came in.

That run had absolutely nothing to do with the goalies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad