Confirmed with Link: Flyers acquire Cam Talbot for Anthony Stolarz

NYCFlyer

Nov 23, 2002
NYC
Yes. The Flyers goaltending cluster**** of the last several decades is littered with the corpses of mediocre vets. The last time we replaced a young guy with projectable starter upside for a vet with a recent top 5 Vezina finish, the young guy went on to win 2 Vezinas while the vet flamed out spectacularly. The only difference this time is that the vet is going to be the back-up or 1B, and thank god for that, but that also means that the on-ice difference between the mediocre vet and young guy with upside is likely limited, and why not go for the young guy in that scenario?

In short, having an experienced vet is overrated.
Big difference between just having experience and being a great mentor. Quality mentorship is one of the leading markers for success of young people for any endeavor from professionals to mothers. Everyone benefits from quality mentorship. Just being experienced doesn't make you a good mentor in fact can easily be the opposite and inhibit growth if done maliciously (happens everywhere) or haphazardly. The more talented the young person the more important. (if you have no talent at what you do its pretty limited what a mentor can do). Don't think Fletch got a good deal but I like the idea of him seeing if Talbot can be a good mentor to our precious gem of a goalie that we will have for the next 15 years.

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly
Big difference between just having experience and being a great mentor. Quality mentorship is one of the leading markers for success of young people for any endeavor from professionals to mothers. Everyone benefits from quality mentorship. Just being experienced doesn't make you a good mentor in fact can easily be the opposite and inhibit growth if done maliciously (happens everywhere) or haphazardly. The more talented the young person the more important. (if you have no talent at what you do its pretty limited what a mentor can do). Don't think Fletch got a good deal but I like the idea of him seeing if Talbot can be a good mentor to our precious gem of a goalie that we will have for the next 15 years.

I'd have rather had Hart and Stolarz try to push each other to be better.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Sure, that's definitely a risk.

But I don't think Stolarz was ever going to get that chance here, now that Hart is up. He really needed to cement his spot in these previous two years, but injury prevented him from even getting a shot. If he had stayed and ended up as a UFA after this year, he might not have even signed here.

If Hextall had seen to it that he played more games it wouldn't be an issue.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
When?

His injuries are what really killed him by wiping out his entire 2017-2018 season.

He sat on the bench for a month while Hakstol started Mason (or Neuvirth, I don't even remember which one was injured and which one wasn't at this point) like 27 out of 30 games.

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly
When?

His injuries are what really killed him by wiping out his entire 2017-2018 season.

You probably have his blocked from your memory, because Hakstol, but when Stolarz was called up 2 seasons ago because of injuries, he sat. And sat. And sat. When he finally got some games, he posted .928 sv % and a 2.07 GAA, which is miles better than what Mason & Neuvirth posted that season.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I get where you're coming from (and why Fletcher made the trade), I just disagree with it. If Stolarz puts it together in Edmonton and becomes a true blue NHL starter while Talbot gives us mediocre play, I'm going to be one extremely grumpy Flyers fan.

It doesn't matter, because Stolarz would only do so if given a chance to play on a regular basis, and odds are, even if he resigned, he'd have to stay healthy and produce playing sporadically (b/c Hart will start 50-55 games a year, the backup basically plays on back to back games and a few others). Maybe, if they resigned him (as a UFA) he'd do enough to be solid trade bait in a couple years, but that was far from certain. Right now, Stolarz has little value, like Lyon he's an AHL veteran who hasn't shown enough to be considered a solid NHL prospect.

Sandstrom should be in the AHL next year with Ersson, Fedotov and Ustimenko close behind.

Fedotov is a good example, 22 years old, 6'7 205, dominating the VHL and showed well in his KHL cameo. Stolarz is 2 1/2 years older and wasn't exactly dominating the AHL at the same age. So it's not unreasonable the Fedotov will be the same player as Stolarz (an unproven prospect) in three years, when Talbot's extension probably ends.

The only issue is Fletcher's failure to extract a sweetener for solving Edmonton's cap problems.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
You probably have his blocked from your memory, because Hakstol, but when Stolarz was called up 2 seasons ago because of injuries, he sat. And sat. And sat. When he finally got some games, he posted .928 sv % and a 2.07 GAA, which is miles better than what Mason & Neuvirth posted that season.

In three games.

He's better than he looked earlier this season coming back off his knee injury, but even the last couple games where he looked good, he also had some "post" luck, his lateral movement is average, his positioning is better, but I watched Lyon in some AHL games and both to me seem to be the same player. Neither is in the same tier with Hart.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Oh in 16-17...?

Yeah, sure he should've played more back then.

David St Hubbins

Well, you're not as confused as he is.
Jan 24, 2016
Deskfront, facing WSW
The fact that Stolarz would most likely be a Group VI UFA after this season makes the debate kinda pointless. Sure, HakHex f***ed up not playing him at the time, but mostly because it would’ve made sense at the time,either because of other crappy goaltending or to avoid riding the other goalies until their dicks fell off. Had that happened, Stolie is a RFA instead. We would still be grabbing a vet backup, but Stolie could be on the Phantoms with Kid Swede and Lyon could be walking. And maybe Stolie put it together to be a legit starting threat with more value, (but still less than Hart). All wooda cooda, shooda.

So this really needs to be sewerage under the Hakstol Memorial Cess Pool Bridge.

Foggy14

Sep 13, 2017
April, 2017 - Stolarz knee injury in Phantoms game, surgery. While it was originally reported as a right knee MCL, Meltzer and Panaccio later report that it was a left knee meniscus injury.

September, 2017 - Re-injures left knee, has meniscus repair surgery. Season lost.

December, 2018 - With Stolarz starting due to raft of goalie injuries, a certain coach looking to save his job overuses him. He suffers a "lower body" injury in the first period of the game in Vancouver. is seen flexing his left knee before coming off. The Flyers end the game with a goalie tandem of Alex Lyon and emergency goalie, Rylan Toth, on the bench. The Hart era begins the next game against Detroit.

Looking at the Flyers goalie injury woes this season, I can see why Fletch would want to try to avoid it happening again. With Stoli's injury history, I can also see why Fletch would be reluctant to bet on his health going forward.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Stolarz's FA status is really irrelevant. He would have signed any sort of extension pretty happily. He's from N.J., this is the only organization he's ever played for, give him $950K for 2 years and he snap signs.

Agreed. The "he's gonna be a UFA" thing is a really poorly thought out attempt to further justify the deal. We could have easily re-signed him and I am very confident for less money than Talbot is going to sign for.

If you want to defend the deal, use the Hart-Talbot relationship, Stolie's injuries, and Talbots experience..but dont use the UFA nonsense.

Domino666

“20 years away”
Aug 18, 2011
I really don’t mind this trade I believe it will help Hart out in the long run, I think Talbot will be ok, but I also think him being here taking on a mentor role might push Talbot to be better to lead by example, either way I do like that Fletch is willing to help Hart succeed is awesome

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Stolarz's FA status is really irrelevant. He would have signed any sort of extension pretty happily. He's from N.J., this is the only organization he's ever played for, give him $950K for 2 years and he snap signs.

Probably wouldn’t even need the 2nd year.

Don’t forget he’s on a two way deal now and was only on a $95K salary in the AHL till Hextall called him up on 11/23.

Anthony Stolarz - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

TheAHL.com

Last edited:

DecadesofFutility

May 22, 2013
Wilmington, Delaware
Probably wouldn’t even need the 2nd year.

Don’t t forget he’s on a two way deal now and was only on a $95K salary in the AHL till Hextall called him up on 11/23.

Anthony Stolarz - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

TheAHL.com

That's the difference between Hextall and Fletcher.
Some might not like it because we always want our draft picks to succeed.
And think that the draftee should be given opportunity to succeed.
But Fletcher is not going to hold onto Stolie just because we drafted him.
Fletcher was not impressed with Stolie's potential and wanted Talbot, Oilers needed goalie back
simple as that.

Jettany

Feb 21, 2018
Agreed. The "he's gonna be a UFA" thing is a really poorly thought out attempt to further justify the deal. We could have easily re-signed him and I am very confident for less money than Talbot is going to sign for.

If you want to defend the deal, use the Hart-Talbot relationship, Stolie's injuries, and Talbots experience..but dont use the UFA nonsense.
I think the ufa argument was used in discussing trade value.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
How can including 10 games of first-hand observation in an overall "like him/don't like him" evaluation be a terrible idea?
He’ll be 32. He has 299 NHL games under his belt. If you don’t know what kind of goalie he is by now, you’re never going to know.

Evaluating him for 10 games, playing for a coach that probably won’t be here next year, is pretty meaningless in the grand scheme of things. Basing any roster decision off of 10 or fewer games is a disaster waiting to happen. Just dig up every hot take about a player in the playoffs.

And probably still could have signed Talbot to be the NHL backup July 1.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->