Confirmed with Link: Flyers acquire Cam Talbot for Anthony Stolarz

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
So ah what fire are they playing with . if he gets injured we put Talbot in and Elliot is not under contract to us next year anyways . He is playing well right now so Talbot can sit and collect dust for now . We need wins and if Elliot is getting them , screw Talbot ,there ain't no fire .

Except it is part of a larger trend of neglecting player welfare, a trend that happens to affect the team into the future at times.

Reactions: Rebels57

prototypical4thliner

Jan 12, 2017
Leighton gave us our best shot at the Cup in the last couple decades. He carried that team.
He subsequently disappeared into the nothingness from whence he came.

Also, that team was carried by two incredible defenders on the ice for almost fifty minutes a night. And surprisingly deep forward production including an all time run by briere and girouxs coming out party. The last thing that actually carried that team was goaltending in general. Both leighton and niemi were bad in the finals.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Leighton carried Lavi into the playoffs - goalies from December 2009 through the rest of the season (Lavi took over after Dec 3):

Leighton 16-5-2 .918
Emery 5-4-0 .903
Boucher 7-15-3 .894

77-68 before Lavi, 3.08 GF per game
155-154 with Lavi 2.72 GF per game

So they scored less under Lavi, the other goalies were terrible, but Leighton had nothing to do with them making the playoffs!

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Leighton played well because the team in front of him was making it fairly easy on him. Then the Cup Final happened and the rest is history.
How many teams score 22 goals in 6 games of a Cup Final and lose. Venture to guess the number is less than 1

Look at the Montreal series. The team dominated Montreal and Leighton wasn't even challenged. His big highlight was a glove save most goalies make routine, that he made look hard, on a shot going wide.

The one game Pronger was out and Leighton was remotely tested he buckled completely.

Edit: and Leighton made the Boston series harder, he didn't carry a thing. The turning point was Richards crunching Krejci right as we got Gagne back.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
Yup. I recall the announcers continually praising the team for how many blocked shots they were making, and how easy they were making it for Leighton

The only praise Leighton was getting was for being in position, not for tremendous game stealing saves or baling the team out

Petr Mrazek could have got us to the finals that year, or maybe even won it

Reactions: Beef Invictus

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
So explain Boucher? Same defense, different results.
Sometimes goalies get hot at the right time.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train

I already did this and I remember you had no rebuttal. The team played looser in front of Boosh. He was tested harder. When Leighton was in they treated it like an empty net.

Many of us were dismayed at his extension in large part because it was insane to expect a team to play like that for an entire season.

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2018
correlation-vs-causation.jpg

dragonoffrost

It'll be a cold day...
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2019
Hell

Sometimes a goalie change makes the team think to play differently in front of them. You know kind like how the team was playing differently in front of Hart when he first came up. You can't tell me Jake isn't playing more of a 2 way game than he did before Hart got on the scene.

bauer

I WANT GOALS
Nov 11, 2007
I already did this and I remember you had no rebuttal. The team played looser in front of Boosh. He was tested harder. When Leighton was in they treated it like an empty net.

Many of us were dismayed at his extension in large part because it was insane to expect a team to play like that for an entire season.

dh can't seem to grasp the human element of the game. everything is just numbers and stats to him.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Sometimes a goalie change makes the team think to play differently in front of them. You know kind like how the team was playing differently in front of Hart when he first came up. You can't tell me Jake isn't playing more of a 2 way game than he did before Hart got on the scene.

I think that is less due to Hart than Jake being paired with Couts.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->