Post-Game Talk: Flyers 5, Penguins 1 - It's Lit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tweed

Jun 25, 2006
I think I missed something, what was Sullivan not sharing his opinion on in the post game presser, about Sid and Giroux?

Hockey Freak 7

Kris Letang to another team. GOAT CROSBY 4 HART
Apr 1, 2018
Dumo-Schultz
???-???
Oleksiak-Ruh

I dont like those gaps on the second and that top pair is for emergency use only, not permanent.

Everyone one here has wanted Trouba for years. How do you propose we get him?
Idk . I know he’s a free agent this season. If Rutherford has his eye on him .. he can get him especially how he does his magic..

I’m keeping my Määttä .. He will be in my top 4 with Rig or if Rutherford can get Trouba to let Rig grow more to slowly be in the top 4 ..
Jacob’s cap hit is 2 mil and something so I don’t know how much it will be..
I would say a trade or sign him 3-3.5 one year deal if he does would well like Shultz then a 2- 4 6 short deal ( 3-4 million)because he’s young and can be very well..

Pens don’t need to trade Määttä, Shultz, Rig and Dumoulin to retool the D corps

They shouldn’t do that and I think Rutherford won’t
I really think and still believe he wants to trade Letang before it get worse and have leg room in cap space in case something and to be Rig, Sheahan and Rust Back..

Only Letang
Sheary and Hunwick will be getting trade imo. It won’t be easy but Rutherford knows how to get the job and he will do better during this off-season..
I would use that money for veteran back up goalie behind Murray like Robin Lehmner who’s a free agent as well so Jarry can finish his development..

Maybe 2 Decent good Defenseman with great upside that brings it offensively and defensively .. Jacob Trouba (is number one pick for me and someone who bring a little more gritty with upside of offensive work plus good defensively
I don’t think Ruhwedel is that bad ..he just has small frame either he will be full time bottom pairing or 7 th D
You can always go with Pedan or Corrado as well too

Letang is gone. That’s all I know regardless what happens in the playoffs..if not it will hurt the Pens if they don’t..

HuskerTornado

Jobu Needs Rum
May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
I feel like this was an appropriate pour just now.

furious-present-465-x-622.png

Closely matches my mood. ;)

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC
Top 6 is still off. Sid/Rust and Malkin/Hornqvist just have zero chemistry out there.

Hopefully those lines are changed before Pens fall into a deeper series hole over in Philly. If Flyers wilt, Pens will need to change them up soon anyway against a better defensive team.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I'm expecting a lot of hot takes after this one, so I'll keep it brief and then I'm going to go enjoy some adult recreation. Cole noted the other day that we had all the puck luck going our way, which likely turned a 3-0 sort of result into a 7-0 spanking. The same thing applies to tonight, except reversed. If the shots that hit the posts went in, if Sid hadn't shot it through the empty crease, etc, the outcome is very different. We didn't play well, particularly on special teams, but I'm not reading more into it than that. This was the one game we always seem to throw away. We're still the vastly superior team. Sullivan has always done a good job of resetting the team after a loss like this. All that's changed is that the series is going to take longer than would be ideal. Maybe I'll second guess that if we drop consecutive games, but I don't see that happening. All of the Flyers critical flaws were still on display, we just didn't capitalize on any of them.

PS. Wes McCauley should be keelhauled.

Puck luck was essentially the difference. The Flyers first two goals were literally double deflections that, when you're not getting luck, don't go in. The 3rd and 4th goals were on the Pens, but the first two which put them in a hole, were the type you simply never get when you don't get the luck.

Conversely, the Pens had zero puck luck. Every deflection seemed to go right into Elliott's pad, where in Game 1 it went through his legs or went slight over his pad. Sid missing a wide open net pretty much summed up the Pens' luck tonight.

The Pens out-shot them something like 35-20. That was a BIGGER margin than the 7-0 game. If the Pens continue to out-shoot them by that margin all series, the Pens win.

The only two things I'm pissed off about tonight is the damn PP looks like ass, and the refs were brutal with the calls they made on the Pens.

Reactions: Brandinho

Hockey Freak 7

Apr 1, 2018
I thought our D was good.
They are ok but they to really needs to better and aggressive on D .. step up..
With forwards..tighten up.. be more aware and committed like game 1 was .. they are too inconsistent and been Pens problem all season...the D corps is kind suspect because of pinching/some bad passing/turnovers instead of some defensive effort first then get to high potent offense.

they are great moments sometimes but not solid good

They need to stop with the f***ing pinching and board work shit.. teams know how to beat them there. They Take that from them beat them with scoring chances and odd man rushes in there zone that why it’s turnovers because they are not strongly communicating nor making smart decisions with puck..

Often times Pens D cheating in the game to get to some work in the o zone with not being committed in the D zone and neutral zone...

sometimes D needs to stop jumping in the play and just play defensively to let the offensively stuff come because often times fowards like Geno and Sid playing to much defensively The Whole time to help them then they can’t get no where offensively.. Sully needs to change that shit.. he never did..

At one point Martin had it like ( D then O )that but Sully want D to involved in o to much isn’t some relentless D ..

D isn’t aware nor making smart pinches.. they do it to much.. that’s why it’s sloppy hockey..

Caps and other team were f***ing them up on there pinching and board work to get in their zone.. last year ..that old fashioned dump and chase that doesn’t work sometimes..

Pens doesn’t adjust enough to work in the open ice to have quick crisp passes anymore..off the rush after Defensively doing work..

Goaltending and Defense is the key part this year along with 3/4 lines picking up the slack when Geno/ sid lines are stuck

Brassard needs to step up..

Last edited:

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
They are ok but they to really needs to better and aggressive on D .. step up..
With forwards..tighten up.. be more aware and committed like game 1 was .. they are too inconsistent and been Pens problem all season...the D corps is kind suspect because of pinching/some bad passing/turnovers instead of some defensive effort first then get to high potent offense.

they are great moments sometimes but not solid good

They need to stop with the ****ing pinching and board work ****.. teams know how to beat them there. They Take that from them beat them with scoring chances and odd man rushes in there zone that why it’s turnovers because they are not strongly communicating nor making smart decisions with puck..

Often times Pens D cheating in the game to get to some work in the o zone with not being committed in the D zone and neutral zone...

sometimes D needs to stop jumping in the play and just play defensively to let the offensively stuff come because often times fowards like Geno and Sid playing to much defensively The Whole time to help them then they can’t get no where offensively.. Sully needs to change that ****.. he never did.. D isn’t aware nor making smart pinches.. they do it to much.. that’s why it’s sloppy hockey..

Caps and other team were ****ing them up on there pinching and board work to get in their zone.. last year ..that old fashioned dump and chase that doesn’t work sometimes..

Pens doesn’t adjust enough to work in the open ice to have quick crisp passes anymore..off the rush after Defensively doing work..

Goaltending and Defense is the key part this year along with 3/4 lines picking up the slack when Geno/ sid lines are stuck

Brassard needs to step up..

Disagree I thought the forwards couldn’t break through with any flow. Not a lot of pressure on Philly going forward.

Sometimes the D has to jump in to keep the puck alive. The forwards on the ice need to be more aware. Too many times they didn’t cover for that. Having said that they still had good looks and couldn’t convert.

The back half of the ice stylistically was pretty good. Philly got more than their fair share of luck.

Reactions: Angrrus

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
goal 1 went through his body/blocker and goal 3 was terrible. both should have been saved.

The first goal was a double deflection from the point. The fact you think that's a bad goal speaks volumes about your objectivity when it comes to Murray -- either that, or speaks volumes about your ability to understand what you're seeing.

Hockey Freak 7

Apr 1, 2018
Disagree I thought the forwards couldn’t break through with any flow. Not a lot of pressure on Philly going forward.

Sometimes the D has to jump in to keep the puck alive. The forwards on the ice need to be more aware. Too many times they didn’t cover for that. Having said that they still had good looks and couldn’t convert.

The back half of the ice stylistically was pretty good. Philly got more than their fair share of luck.
Ok I agree I word it just a little bit wrong
Sometimes it does happen with to much bad pinching by D and not simply passing .. D can be sloppy and forwards/D do have bad turnovers..
. yes it can be mainly be forwards who are being lazy and not playing together with D because its timeS forward are already up towards o zone when D doesn’t clear and they are in trouble then there’s times it on the D .. idk it’s on D at times and fowards as well.
If they stay committed with one another as 5 man unit then they would be great and d can do their defensive work and be effectively in jumping in the play.

Pens do get beat on the board , turnovers and bad pinching with puck where teams do beat them then it’s odd man rushes , countless breakaways and hemmed up in their zone.
Missed assignments by forwards..
Being hemmed in their zone and turnovers by the blue line hurts them a lot with bad pinching with no support..they lead to goals..

Reactions: Tom Hanks

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC
Sullivan’s post game quotes are reminiscent of Bylsma. Talks about hitting posts and not buying goals. Doesn’t address the core issues with the top 6. Hoping he sees the forest from the trees soon, because once we run up against a real defence, there will be no room for these kinds of performances.

Reactions: Angrrus

Tweed

Jun 25, 2006
At the end of the day, it's just really interesting how it's always a Penguin star player that gets lit up against a rival on an "unfortunate accident" where a player simultaneously "braces" himself for impact while obliterating the other man.

If only we had a guy that was tough, and could fight, to deter opponents from doing that sort of thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad