Post-Game Talk: Flyers 5, Penguins 1 - It's Lit

Status
Not open for further replies.

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
I am not torn. Nonbody, not even somebody as nuts as Hornqvist is throwing their own head into the boards to get a call.

He gets hit and gets right back up. He did absolutely nothing to sell the call. One of the best officials in the nhl (according to the players) did not think it was a dive looking at it from 10 feet away. One of the worst officials in the game called it from 75 feet away, the 2nd time in the game he made an awful call from some distance.

This call was 100% Tim Peel being a horrendous official. He needs to realize that nobody pays to see him make awful calls. He made a spectacle out of himself twice in a playoff game and he ought to be ashamed.

Straight up, it looks like Horny is reaching for the boards to make sure he gets contact with it. That video starts at 0:59, and it barely even looks like he makes contact with the boards. MacDonald did not follow through with the hit. I hate the Flyers and love Horny, but that is not a play that tweaks me. We will agree to disagree.

Reactions: Bingo71

KareemTrustfund

Domiking Simon
Jun 19, 2012
Out of curiosity, where did you get this info?

Still a stupid call indeed. As if a man in the middle of losing his balance can control his arms flailing.

Gary Galley pointed it out on the CBC broadcast. I see how it could have been seen as embellishment, but the hit was so dangerous it should have been disregarded.

KareemTrustfund

Domiking Simon
Jun 19, 2012
And after just watching it again.. I'm even more inclined to say there was no embellishment. Just a rough call. But shit happens.

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
Gary Galley pointed it out on the CBC broadcast. I see how it could have been seen as embellishment, but the hit was so dangerous it should have been disregarded.

Players should be discouraged from embellishment. Which is why cross checking and boarding should have been on MacDonald and embellishment on Horny. Still overall penalizes the Flyers, but keeps players honest too.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
The hit into the boards is not the embellishment. The "fling yourself backwards with your arms up" is the embellishment. He'd likely have drawn a penalty (without the diving call) if not for the theatrics at the end there.

Shit game. Better win at least one in Philly now--that's a goddamn must.

Reactions: EightyOne

Angrrus

May 24, 2017
Puck luck was essentially the difference. The Flyers first two goals were literally double deflections that, when you're not getting luck, don't go in. The 3rd and 4th goals were on the Pens, but the first two which put them in a hole, were the type you simply never get when you don't get the luck.

Conversely, the Pens had zero puck luck. Every deflection seemed to go right into Elliott's pad, where in Game 1 it went through his legs or went slight over his pad. Sid missing a wide open net pretty much summed up the Pens' luck tonight.

The Pens out-shot them something like 35-20. That was a BIGGER margin than the 7-0 game. If the Pens continue to out-shoot them by that margin all series, the Pens win.

The only two things I'm pissed off about tonight is the damn PP looks like ass, and the refs were brutal with the calls they made on the Pens.

It's not "lUck". It's lAck - of focus and will. The guy's too good to depend on luck in such situations.

Angrrus

May 24, 2017
Worked out pretty well for a backhand goal game one though....almost like things arent automatic or something.

It's one thing to skate around a couple of human flag posts. It's completely another to skate with the puck into a mass of bodies hoping to plow through.

If you see that you are alone against 4 - pull up, turn to the wall, protect the puck, wait for linemates to skate in.

But that requires awareness and thinking. Which Geno is not a big fan of. He's pure instinct, for better or worse.

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
Murray, if his efforts were reversed, played well last night enough to win game 1, and well enough in game 1 to make last night's game a toss up, or at least enough to say Elliot stole it.

Our skaters outplayed them both games IMO, not as much as 7-0 to the good in the first one but still by a bit in game 2. Elliot let 2 by him early that hit posts.

Refs were a factor in game 2 but mostly Elliot had luck going for him in game 2 that he did not in game 1.

Good battling toward the end trying to score. That's a better message than the crap the Philly board was wishing their Team would try towards the end of game 1. Both Teams played it smart in that regard.

Without the "after-embellishment" the penalty on Hornqvist might not even have been called...the NHL refs are that laissez faire about hitting from behind when there is no apparent injury or very serious danger (ZAR's ridiculous penalty notwithstanding) The early hit on Sheary was as bad and they did nothing.

If Hornqvist was faking he would have stayed down. He was simply drawing attention to the hit. Maybe they should start calling embellishment on every player that shakes his arm after being slashed? If the refs called the infractions rather than the results they wouldn't need "help".

Last edited:
Reactions: EightyOne

Icarium

Feb 16, 2010
Remember when Zajac poked Sid with the butt of his stick, wasn't called for that, Sid got mad and scored an out-of-this world OT winner in the next shift, singlehandedly winnning the game?

This guy can score AT WILL when he is PROPELY MOTIVATED. He is THAT skilled and talented.

In this game he just WASN'T.

And the whole team followed their captain's lead.

Plain and simple.

I love this forum. Every time after a tough loss I come here, see posts like that, have a good laugh and my mood improves considerably. Never fails.

I wonder why Pens PP never had a perfectly wide open guy on the back door.

Like Crosby missing an open end seconds before the end of the second period?

Tough loss and as everybody has already says this PP1 is such an enigma, One game they are all moving, winning puck battles and look unbeatable, another one no one is moving and they look like they aren't going to score in a million years. It was finally dawned on Philly they aren't winning a wide open game against us, so they closed up after taking the lead. Oh, well, we must come out all guns blazing in game 3, a bit of puck luck and we can have control of the series again.

Reactions: Aerrol

Penguin Suited Up

Dec 26, 2017
That Hornqvist call is still bothersome. The Kempny, Wingels, Wennberg hits have all earned supplemental discipline. Even the Carrier hit. And this f***er McCauley comes in and absolutely blows multiple calls that are identical to the Kempny hit that both result into a player going head first into the board. What extra motive does this guy have that he’s absolutely blowing such obvious calls? If a large part of a guy’s job is to protect the players, and he isn’t, why does he still have a job?

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
I am not torn. Nonbody, not even somebody as nuts as Hornqvist is throwing their own head into the boards to get a call.

He gets hit and gets right back up. He did absolutely nothing to sell the call. One of the best officials in the nhl (according to the players) did not think it was a dive looking at it from 10 feet away. One of the worst officials in the game called it from 75 feet away, the 2nd time in the game he made an awful call from some distance.

This call was 100% Tim Peel being a horrendous official. He needs to realize that nobody pays to see him make awful calls. He made a spectacle out of himself twice in a playoff game and he ought to be ashamed.

Ought to be fired and not reffing.

Burn

Mar 24, 2018
Kessel really needs to QB on the PP. The best shot and long passer on the team and he never has the puck.

I would love to see Hornqvist use the old Hossa lay up move.

Sheary and Rust have to be better. They're such and asset when they can play with pace and get pucks up ice. Attack that D with speed and all of them but Provorov will wilt.

Elliot is downright pitifull when he has to move. Make east west play and open him up. On the PP the puck can't go from Schultz to Malkin for the one timer... Has to go from Kessel to Malkin. Create that lane with the 3 up top.

imouttahereEdWinger

Jan 22, 2014
What extra motive does this guy have that he’s absolutely blowing such obvious calls? If a large part of a guy’s job is to protect the players, and he isn’t, why does he still have a job?

Because that isn't his job. The NHL only says that's a goal. It can't possibly be. There's only two possibilities here. They don't truly care about it or they are HORRIBLY INCOMPETENT AT ALL LEVELS in the NHL in dealing with it.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
I finally viewed the video of the game....what I saw

1) the forecheck and getting in shot blocking lanes was not as good as in game 1...the Flyers were able to generate those “lucky” bounces by getting some shots to goal that they didn’t in game 1

2) when the Pens went down by one and two goals after the first period, it looked like they were gripping their sticks tighter...it wasn’t so much puck luck as it was the Pens being tight...didn’t seem like they had the same confidence in a rebound performance, maybe because of the Flyers trap

Forget the reffing, which was bad, but some of the same problems during the season appeared in his game and it’s worrying: not as intense as needed backchecking and pressure from the forwards, like in game 1; not getting sticks, bodies in shot lanes consistently; Murray letting in some weak goals

If they can’t put in the same defensive pressure as they did in game 1, and/or Murray can’t stand on his head, they will be in trouble....they need to play like 2015-16 team because they are not consistently the same PDO, counterattack team as last year who could take advantage of limited shooting opportunities...just wonder if they’ll be able to consistently play like 2015-16

Basically, they need to get the first goal on Sunday...

DegenX

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 14, 2011
**MOD WARNING**
Let's be clear here ... This is a message board. A place we can go to talk about a sport and a team we all love, maybe even learn something every now and then. Pom-poms are not required for admission, nor is it required that you leave them at the door. What is required is that you treat each other with at least a modicum of respect. Critique the post, not the poster. If you find a poster to be that far over the top use the ignore feature. Get along or get along.

Doogle

Jun 8, 2010
Wish you would've criticized Fleury like this when he was single-handedly losing this team games year after year in the post season. If you did, I would at least be able to take you seriously.

Murray wasn't good tonight, but you don't have to throw in all of the extra nonsense.

I get enough what aboutism on Reddit and Facebook discussing politics. Murray objectively had an awful outing, and his season this year was not very good. I feel like people here bend over backwards to defend him on his worst nights just so that they can feel justified in their belief that we kept the right goalie. I'm not even debating that now, though. I'm just objectively stating: Murray played like ass last night, and unfortunately that's not completely atypical for him this year. .907 save percentage would agree. If we want to win, he has to flip that switch. Everyone kept wondering all year if Sid could. Can Murray? He did game one. But that switch has to stay on. 5 goals on 20 shots is unacceptable, regardless of bad defense, bad officiating, whatever. 5 on 20 is bad. We need better or it's getting ugly

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Players should be discouraged from embellishment. Which is why cross checking and boarding should have been on MacDonald and embellishment on Horny. Still overall penalizes the Flyers, but keeps players honest too.

Players should be discouraged from embellishment, but they should also be discouraged to push players from behind into the boards.

If the officials were actually concerned about taking *both* of those out of the game, then they should have at least given Macdonald 4 minutes and Hornqvist 2. At least then they'd still be telling the players that hitting from behind is still the more frowned upon of the two.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I get enough what aboutism on Reddit and Facebook discussing politics. Murray objectively had an awful outing, and his season this year was not very good. I feel like people here bend over backwards to defend him on his worst nights just so that they can feel justified in their belief that we kept the right goalie. I'm not even debating that now, though. I'm just objectively stating: Murray played like ass last night, and unfortunately that's not completely atypical for him this year. .907 save percentage would agree. If we want to win, he has to flip that switch. Everyone kept wondering all year if Sid could. Can Murray? He did game one. But that switch has to stay on. 5 goals on 20 shots is unacceptable, regardless of bad defense, bad officiating, whatever. 5 on 20 is bad. We need better or it's getting ugly

You're not being "objective" about anything. The only goal you could say Murray should have had was the 3rd one (Konecny). The first two were weird deflections. Was Murray supposed to anticipate that the puck would change direction twice on the first goal? Was he supposed to be ready to stop LETANG from deflecting the puck in on the second goal? Was he supposed to do Oleksiak's job for him and cut off the cross crease pass on Patrick's goal?

The fact you list 5 goals on 20 shots as a mark against Murray speaks to your "objectivity" considering the fifth goal was an empty netter and you're still using it against him.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
Players should be discouraged from embellishment, but they should also be discouraged to push players from behind into the boards.

If the officials were actually concerned about taking *both* of those out of the game, then they should have at least given Macdonald 4 minutes and Hornqvist 2. At least then they'd still be telling the players that hitting from behind is still the more frowned upon of the two.

The thing with embellishment is that it’s the norm now because refs fall for it and sometimes won’t call things without some flair. Also, they suck at calling it like they do with so many things. Not doing it is a disadvantage.

I don’t get calling a penalty and an embellishment because something clearly did happen.

mikethelegacy

formerly mikelegacy
May 9, 2013
Pittsburgh, Pa
Idk if it’s just me, but I was at the game last night and Oleksiak was the biggest stand out for me.

He looked like Daley carrying through the zone. At certain points in that game, it seemed like he was the only player who could carry it through the neutral zone without turning it over.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad