The Athletic - Boston Fluto: With ample depth on defense, should the Bruins trade Torey Krug?

bp13

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
It wouldn’t be my first choice of course, but if EK came signed for 8/$88m, I’d give up McAvoy. And honestly I don’t see the argument against it.

EK is the better player, and while we all love McAvoy and feel he’ll be a top pairing dman for his career, does anyone think he ends up a top 5 NHL talent? The only concern for me is EK’s health. That’s the best argument against such a move, IMO. For those concerned about the age difference, I’d point to Bergeron. When this team loses PB it’s gonna take a major hit. We have to focus on improving within PBs window as much as beyond it.

Now before I get accused of shipping out McAvoy I’m not. I love the player. But EK is the kind of guy that any trade is gonna hurt. I’d rather give up Carlo and a couple kids for sure, but gun to my head I probably make that move.

Reactions: Spooner st

Bruinfanatic

Apr 22, 2016
Ontario
Obviously anyone can be traded,not saying Bruins should necessarily trade him ,but yeah no reason they shouldn’t if the return is good enough.I would trade Krug for a young top six forward if there was one available.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
I agree with the overall sentiment, but right now Krug is 2nd pair, not 3rd. And after Chara leaves, he’s your 1st pair LD.

I don't really feel like getting into the number assigning thing. We have 4 good players on that side. Krugs shaky defensively. I think we are giving Moore a chance to lock down the second pairing with Carlo.

Moore has been an NHL regular since he was 19/20 and is entering his prime I think we might have gotten a steal with him if he works well with Carlo.

Z could be the guy we sit 20 nights this year to get Grizz into the lineup.

Having 8 capable D men when only 6 can play isn't a 'problem' I need to 'fix.'

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
It wouldn’t be my first choice of course, but if EK came signed for 8/$88m, I’d give up McAvoy. And honestly I don’t see the argument against it.

EK is the better player, and while we all love McAvoy and feel he’ll be a top pairing dman for his career, does anyone think he ends up a top 5 NHL talent? The only concern for me is EK’s health. That’s the best argument against such a move, IMO. For those concerned about the age difference, I’d point to Bergeron. When this team loses PB it’s gonna take a major hit. We have to focus on improving within PBs window as much as beyond it.

Now before I get accused of shipping out McAvoy I’m not. I love the player. But EK is the kind of guy that any trade is gonna hurt. I’d rather give up Carlo and a couple kids for sure, but gun to my head I probably make that move.

Why bail Ottawa out and give them a talent like McAvoy for a player who is going to walk?

We can't trade McAvoy in general but trading him inside the division would be extremely risky. What D men his age are better than him?

If another team wants EK bad enough to give up a talent like McAvoy they'll get EK. But noone is offering a legit top pairing 21 year old D man for him.

They can weigh their offers I think Krug and Carlo + one more legit piece is as good as any offer they will get.

Reactions: TCB

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
Of course it's not a starting point,especially when it doesn't serve us,but it carries some validity when it's examined relative to a player's peers.

Compared to his peers:

5v5:
Grzelcyk = +26 (1st)
McAvoy = +19 (2nd)
Chara = +9 (3rd)
Krug = +4 (tied 4th)
Miller = +4 (tied 4th)
Carlo = +3 (5th)
McQuaid = -3 (6th)

Even Strength:
Grzelcyk = +23 (1st)
McAvoy = +19 (2nd)
Chara = +9 (3rd)
Krug = +7 (4th)
Miller = +6 (5th)
Carlo = +3 (6th)
McQuaid = -3 (7th)

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
I don't really feel like getting into the number assigning thing. We have 4 good players on that side. Krugs shaky defensively. I think we are giving Moore a chance to lock down the second pairing with Carlo.

Moore has been an NHL regular since he was 19/20 and is entering his prime I think we might have gotten a steal with him if he works well with Carlo.

Z could be the guy we sit 20 nights this year to get Grizz into the lineup.

Having 8 capable D men when only 6 can play isn't a 'problem' I need to 'fix.'

Not a chance. Z just brings way too much. Although hes obviously isn't as fast or has the agility as the others, his smarts long reach and strength are immeasurable. Not to mention the impeccable shape he keeps himself in.

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
Quantity does not equal depth. You don't just trade Krug for a winger then think your D is ok because you got Moore. The Bs need to be upgrading the top 4, not subtracting from it. The top 4 is serviceable subtracting Krug and relying on what's there. The top 4 is not going to win a Cup by subtracting Krug and not replacing him with something equal or better.

Tampbear

Apr 10, 2015
Tampa
I would trade Krug for a young top 6 center, and nothing else. I feel good about our D with or without Krug but am very worried about our center situation. I would feel a lot more comfortable with Krejci as the 3rd line center and someone with more offensive talent than Kuraly centering a top 9 line. I like the kids we have but I would really like to strengthen the middle in case they either don't turn out in time or aern't ready for top 6 play as Bergeron and Krejci fall out of it.

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
Quantity does not equal depth. You don't just trade Krug for a winger then think your D is ok because you got Moore. The Bs need to be upgrading the top 4, not subtracting from it. The top 4 is serviceable subtracting Krug and relying on what's there. The top 4 is not going to win a Cup by subtracting Krug and not replacing him with something equal or better.

I really feel this is the exact way Sweeney feels and unless someone over whelms him he'll stay pact until training camp,when he's truly able too see what he may or may not have in Vaak, Zboril and Lauzon.

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
God no. EK is good, but the guy is injury prone, and going to be looking for BIG money. Want zero part of that. If he were signed to a reasonable deal for a few years, sure, but not interested in a 7 year, high dollar deal for a guy that will see an offensive drop off in 2-3 years.

I don't think he's coming to Boston but I'd love to see him run the offence, in modern day hockey he comes closest to Orr's style/ offensive ability more than any other D in the league IMO. Lindstrom played a long career, Chara too, but injuries are a risk with any player.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
I don't think he's coming to Boston but I'd love to see him run the offence, in modern day hockey he comes closest to Orr's style/ offensive ability more than any other D in the league IMO. Lindstrom played a long career, Chara too, but injuries are a risk with any player.

Serious question. How much of Orr did you see to compare Karlsson to him?

I’m 52 (going on 12) and remember watching Orr from 72/73 (I was 6) until he left in 76 (I was 10). Since then, I have seen him on tape quite a bit, but it’s not the same.

Watching Karlsson now, the Orr comparison didn’t come to mind once.

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
Serious question. How much of Orr did you see to compare Karlsson to him?

I’m 52 (going on 12) and remember watching Orr from 72/73 (I was 6) until he left in 76 (I was 10). Since then, I have seen him on tape quite a bit, but it’s not the same.

Never saw Orr play except for online and NESN videos, but Karlsson definitely is the best offensive Dman of this current generation.

Thought Krug would be a good option for Ottawa, coming off 59 points, manageable contract, add a prospect or 2 and maybe Karlsson could be a bruin

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
Absolutely not. Unless its part of a deal where Krug isn't the best player in the deal and hes used to bring a better LD back.

2 more years of him as the 3rd LD and top PP guy and let him walk as a free agent sounds ideal to me. You'd have to be an idiot to want a package of futures/picks instead of that or a 3rd line overpaid grinder that we will want to buy out.

As long as panarin agrees to sign an extension as part of the trade. I’d deal krug and more for panarin or skinner. But it doesn’t look like Columbus or Carolina are in the market for a LHD right now.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Is it me, or does it seem like this is the 4th/5th time someone has written this very same article recently?

I was thinking about subscribing to the Athletic, but it won’t be for Fluto. Do you get access to writers in the other cities as well when you sign up?

Yes you get every city

finchster

Jul 12, 2006
Antalya
Krug is a gamer, I don't want to trade him. Trading him will leave a giant offensive hole in our back line and he seems to play well in the playoffs.

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
Compared to his peers:

5v5:
Grzelcyk = +26 (1st)
McAvoy = +19 (2nd)
Chara = +9 (3rd)
Krug = +4 (tied 4th)
Miller = +4 (tied 4th)
Carlo = +3 (5th)
McQuaid = -3 (6th)

Even Strength:
Grzelcyk = +23 (1st)
McAvoy = +19 (2nd)
Chara = +9 (3rd)
Krug = +7 (4th)
Miller = +6 (5th)
Carlo = +3 (6th)
McQuaid = -3 (7th)

So he sucks defensively on the PP and he's mediocre ES,not really a big secret.

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
How does he "suck defensively on the PP"? How do you come away with that from those stats.
He's a +- 0. How did he get from a +7 or +4 ES or 5V5 to 0? Love is blind,try using your eyes and forget about your heart. He's an asset on the PP with 24 points in 20 games. He had points in 40 games. He had difficulty or mediocrity defensively in 80 games. This past draft was loaded with diminutive offensive defenseman,so the league may be trending that way,good for Torey,and maybe better for the Bs in a swap.

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
I do like Torey, and think he's used a scapegoat way too often. He is a small offensive defenseman. Those guys are pretty much never defense stalwarts.

That being said - because of his numbers, he will likely fetch a very nice return. I am open to going either way on this one.

But for the love of God, can every fan/writer stop pretending they're the first person to suggest this idea? As soon as any other transaction happens, it's billed as "opening a door" to trade Krug. We get it. A lot of people think the team would benefit from moving Krug.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad